The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Grifos Nyloe Rectangle Guilloche

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,020 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2012 - 17:34

A while ago I reviewed the Grifos Nyloe Mille Righe (Thousand Lines) fountain pen.

Posted Image

Today I would like to look at another of their designs, this one a very simple rectangle guilloche.

Posted Image

The family resemblance is clear, both are Sterling Silver pens with a broad rounded black cap band and black end pieces, but the Guilloche work is remarkably different.

This pen has a series of line filled rectangles bordered by wide margins.

Posted Image

They have the same sections and nib selections as all the Nyloe line, in this case a Bock steel nib (although gold nibs can be ordered).

Posted Image

The cap is a slip fit that clicks securely in place both when the pen is capped as well as when it is posted. It is a medium weight Sterling Silver pen weighing in around 35 grams and uses the international standard cartridge/converter filling system.

Posted Image

So far the pen has been totally reliable and writes a moderately wet medium line. It starts immediately and even after sitting unused for days puts down a wet line as soon as the nib touches the paper.

It seems to work well on every grade of paper so far including those thermal printed receipts.

As you can see this one is still too new to have developed any patina but it will be interesting to see how it ages.

In terms of bang for the buck, it's pretty hard to beat the wonderful pens being made by Grifos.

Edited by jar, 18 January 2012 - 14:30.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,594 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2012 - 17:42

Are these pens of solid construction with threaded metal inserts(Like YOL) or a silver overlay jacket over a plastic core like e.g. the sonnets or the imperials?

Edited by hari317, 17 January 2012 - 17:44.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 26,020 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2012 - 17:54

Are these pens of solid construction with threaded metal inserts(Like YOL) or a silver overlay jacket over a plastic core like e.g. the sonnets or the imperials?

Solid silver tube with what looks to be brass inserts for threads and steel/plastic insert end caps.

My Website

#4 Toolattack

Toolattack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2012 - 19:11

Thanks for another great review jar.
You say: 'As you can see this one is still too new to have developed any patina but it will be interesting to see how it ages.' - does this mean that you don't clean your silver pens or that you like them once they are a bit more 'worn'?
I would be very interested to know as I clean my silver pens fairly regularly (every 4 - 6 months), what is the advantage (if any) in leaving them to patina or is it just the colour/look you prefer?
Sorry there are so many questions here!

#5 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 26,020 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2012 - 19:20

Thanks for another great review jar.
You say: 'As you can see this one is still too new to have developed any patina but it will be interesting to see how it ages.' - does this mean that you don't clean your silver pens or that you like them once they are a bit more 'worn'?
I would be very interested to know as I clean my silver pens fairly regularly (every 4 - 6 months), what is the advantage (if any) in leaving them to patina or is it just the colour/look you prefer?
Sorry there are so many questions here!

Sometimes I clean them but look at the first picture. I have not cleaned that on for well over a year and you can see the difference in the places I normally touch and where I do not.

It's simply personal taste and in many cases spur of the moment.

My Website

#6 Toolattack

Toolattack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2012 - 19:25

Thanks jar, now that you mention it I can see the different shades. Very interesting, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sponsored Content

|