Signum Orione With Pendleton Point

ajoe

Dear FPN Member,

I sincerely wish that you and I were getting together for dinner tonight. I would love nothing more than to see the following scenario unfold.

After being seated, I would ask our waiter to give us a few minutes. Then, without further discussion or any fanfare, I would produce a Rhodia tablet and a pen, lay them on the table, and gently slide them your way.

The appearance of the pen would likely not impress you. In fact, you may find it quite ordinary or even ugly. No matter. You would of course uncap the pen and perhaps inspect it briefly.

This is the moment I've been waiting for. I am about to witness your expression of utter amazement and delight as you begin to write. You will not speak. You can not speak. You will be captivated with an intuitive and effortless flow of ink and script so perfect and refined that you become oblivious to anything beyond your hand and paper. You will write. Flourishes will erupt with free abandon and you will be lost in time as sensual sensory bliss becomes you. And you will write. At one point you will want to speak but find language woefully lacking in its ability to describe the sheer joy, fluidity, and grace in your hand. So you will write.

Then, at some point, you notice the many pages you've written. You'll begrudgingly stop and perhaps be embarrassed with how much time might have passed. Before putting the cap on the pen, you will again examine the nib; this time with more interest and a sense of reverence. But to your surprise, it offers no clue to the magic it possesses.

You speak; quietly, timidly, and uncharacteristically unsure, "I don't think I want to know the answer to this, but do you mind if I ask the price?"

If I were to tell you the price was $750 and the waiting list three months long, you would not be surprised. But when I tell you the truth; that the price is $165 and it's available within days from a fellow FPN member, you will likely excuse yourself to check the FPN Classifieds on your cellphone. That's OK. I will write.

So there you have my review of the Signum Orione Sterling (Italy) fountain pen with custom ground Pendleton Point Cursive Italic nib. Pendleton Brown (FPN member: pb2) of Cummings GA USA does the nib-sculpting and sells the pens. The images below were taken by Pendleton but are an accurate representation of the pen and what it can do.

I know such reviews should include spurious details of materials, feed systems, nibs, etc., but that seems pedestrian and inconsequential to the intrinsic value of this magnificent pen. Quite honestly, if this nib were supported by a soda straw and fed by an IV bottle, it would still be a masterful writing instrument.

Disclaimer

I almost didn't post this review. Why? Because I've found that as soon as I post a glowing review and think I've found the holy grail, whether it is pen, ink or paper, I will inevitably encounter something better, perhaps magnitudes better, and possibly the very next day. So I have reluctantly been sitting on this review, questioning if the pen does indeed live up to the words, and if I have experience to make such statements.

After completing this review, I had the unexpected pleasure of writing with several gorgeous pens from a very fine collection of current and vintage pens including Montblanc, Sheaffer, Parker, and Montegrappa. Each afforded an incredible writing experience. And again, I questioned this review.

But through it all, time and again I returned to the Pendleton Signum--just to be sure. And to my delight, each time, I said yes. In my experience and in my hand, it really is that good.

http://mrnibs.com/sig_pp_imgs/pp1.jpg

http://mrnibs.com/sig_pp_imgs/pp2.jpg

http://mrnibs.com/sig_pp_imgs/pp3.jpg

Continued in next post.

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ajoe

• jar

• watch_art

• pelman

Top Posters In This Topic

Following the Rules

In order to comply with pen review rules, here are the nitty gritty details:

Pen barrel: resin, black with gold flecks

Pen cap: Sterling Silver

Piston cap: Sterling Silver

Nib: 18k gold, Rhodium plated, iridium point

Nib size: custom ground cursive italic (Pendleton Point)

Section: concave to 3/8" diameter

Max barrel diameter: 1/2"

Length capped: 5.5"

Length uncapped: 5"

Length posted: 6.1"

Total weight: 1.37 oz, 40g

Price delivered: $165 US

Condition delivered: as new

Time used prior to review: 5 days, approx 10 hours writing time.

Ink used during review: Platinum Smoke Black

Paper used during review: Rhodia dotPad, Black 'n Red notebook

Other pens owned by reviewer: Montblanc 149, Montblanc 146 1950s, Platinum 3776 Music, others.

Reviewer's writing touch: light

Reviewer's ink flow preference: medium-wet

Reviewer's writing style: casual-expressive

Reviewer's hand: right-handed, all fingers intact

Does reviewer own this pen: yes

Was compensation provided for this review: no

Review climate: winter, indoors, 72 degrees fahrenheit, 41% relative humidity

Review location: Mid-Atlantic USA

Review date: January 2012

Edited by ajoe

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

An excellent refreshing review. That is a simple elegant pen and one day I will have to try pendleton's work. Congrats and enjoy in good health for many year.

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link

It's a wondrous pen. I have one from pb2 in the blue. Been meaning to review it for some time and now you covered all that I had to say and better than I could it seems.

My Website

Reviewer's hand: right-handed, all fingers intact

Was compensation provided for this review: no

Review climate: winter, indoors, 72 degrees fahrenheit, 41% relative humidity

Review location: Mid-Atlantic USA

Review date: January 2012

:roflmho:

Of course we only include the most pertinent information for our reviews!

Fantastic review and beautiful pen. Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Fantastic review.

I am so glad all your digits are accounted for.

I have this same pen, and can only add to your review..."Absolutely correct"

Pendelton Brown's ability is sublime. A very intuitive nib meister.

Thank-you for your review and the time it represents,

Inked

very good review and nice pen :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time