The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Esterbrook Nib Size

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 the oxford comma

the oxford comma

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 19:29

I've got an Esterbrook 2668 nib, which is very wet and makes a very wide line--too wide for normal writing, in my opinion. It seems to be 1 mm thick on the paper I use. Is that normal for the 2668/9668, or do I have an unusually broad variation of what's supposed to be a "medium" nib?

Also, has anyone posted a scan showing different Esterbrook nib sizes together?

Sponsored Content

#2 ticoun

Sheaffer & Pentax nut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2012 - 19:36

2XXX nibs are untipped steel, so the nib may have a worn "foot" making it broader than what it should be.

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

Take a look at my DeviantART gallery!

#3 kathleen

Simple Things Matter Most

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:14

I suspect your #2668 is worn. I find a #2668 in good condition writes smoothly and puts down a medium line. I like the line put down by a #9788 if I am attempting to write with a bit of fancy flair. With a 9788 I get a bit of flex and a line with some width variation. The #9788 was a harder nib to find. Most of my Esties have #9668, for everyday use #9668 is the right nib for the way I write.

Posted Image
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Sponsored Content