Inoxcrom Fountain Pens?

czanguine

Any word on how Inoxcrom fountain pens perform in comparison with Parker, Sheaffer and last but definitely not the least, Pilot?

I own a couple of fountain pens from Pilot within the price range of $10-$20 (it's all I can afford to spend in one go, being a university student on a tight budget) and so far I am satisfied with how they write. I would like to own a new regular-sized writing implement and after having seen Inoxcroms on display at the bookstore I frequent, I was wondering if I could buy one of their $30 pens and still get the same quality as with a similarly-priced pen of one of the more popular brands.

Might I also add that I've been meaning to buy a Pilot Prera for awhile now, but in doing so I must brace myself for the cost as it can only be bought online (from Japan!) and would require me to shell out over $50. I've heard a lot of positive comments about it, though, and deem these sufficient for a "go."

Fellow fountain pen lovers (esp those who possess greater expertise on the matter than I do), your opinion will be very much appreciated.

Edited by czanguine

I am the girl with the long name, or simply cza

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RMN

• Myoldpens

• rizo

• euskara

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I don't know much about this label. I think it's french. I don't know what "crom" means, but inox is short for "stainless", in french ("inoxidable", I think), so I've always assumed the nibs are stainless steel, like most cheap pens these days. I suspect the brand is actually the nib, and they buy stock pens to house them in, but that's just a hunch. W H Smith sell Inoxcrom pens at less than £5 occasionally. I had an Inoxcrom-nibbed transparent cartridge pen with dalmations on for a while. Worked very well. I like stainless steel nibs. Very clean and rewarding. I tend to buy pen and pencil sets. I bought an Inoxcrom "Guinness" promo. pen and pencil set on ebay for £3 or so a year or two ago. I enjoyed it hugely: good, crisp nib, good ink flow; the clip-on cap is secure and easy and posts well, comfortable in the hand. What's not to like? The pencil is pretty good too: cheap as chips with a "click" advance system but works better than many others I have at more money. My 8 yo son uses it now as his school set.

I've never heard of Inoxcrom pens at the sort of price range you describe, but then I've never looked. I will, now, because I'd be very happy to try a better model. Perhaps they can't be got in UK? I'll have a look on ebay again.

I'd recommend them.

Selous

Ha! just looked at ebay and my Guinness pen and pencil set is still for sale: £1.99 the set! Recommended. There is also an interesting para attached to the "Wall Street" set for sale seperatly, by way of potted history. Spanish, not french but now multi-natiional, in a modest, European sort of way.

Definitely made in Spain. They are made down to a price, so you can't really expect too much for £5.

The one I have works, not too bad, but the barrel is short and is probably intended as a school pen.

They take international cartridges, and now that I look at it again, the feed section and nib look very, very similar to my Diplomat Traveller !

(See photo, which is which? )

You may do better to spend £14 on a Lamy Safari, a far better choice in my opinion.

"I don't know what "crom" means, but inox is short for "stainless", in french ("inoxidable", I think)"

As said, it is a Spanish brand. "Crom" is short for "cromo", chromium in Spanish, and "inox" for "inoxidable", stainless in Spanish.

Inoxcrom was the most popular Spanish brand for decades; forty years ago, they made fountain pens similar in design and filing system to current Parker models. A couple years ago they were about to close, I don't remember how it ended up.

I'm a user, baby.

We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

I bought one from WH SMith and am about to throw it out!

It wrote the day I brought it home and since then has not worked at all.

I have no clue what is wrong with it and also, the nib bent very easily as I pressed it down to see where the ink was and if it was flowing down the tines.

As I showed in my photo (up a bit) the nib is very close to my Diplomat, ( fine lightweight FP, F nib & totally reliable.)

What I didn't like was the plastic barrel, with sharp edges, too short for my hand, and see through look, but it was cheap so I'm not really complaining ! It's not bad, but it's a school pen and that means certain shortcuts to keep the price down, to my mind.

Best pen I own for the under £10 'bracket' is a Frontier Stainless steel, then for under £15, a Safari. I have never tried Pelikan or Pilot so I can't judge the ones others rave about. Can't have everything, where would I put it?

http://www.inoxcrom.com/b2b/historia.php?l=en

Short history of the company, known in Italy for school pens.

They are also strong in advertising pens, for example hotel free giveaway BPs.

Guess the nib is not manufactured by them, they buy the standard feeding assembly from the usual EU producers.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

I have had several in the past and currently have five different models. Two are from the mid 80's (one called Sakyo and the other a 77) and are smooth and bead ink beautifully, The other three are from the the last five years and two are reluctant writers ( I don't know their models). The third (the Poeme) is an amazing little pen. Smooth and beads ink well. The 77 is one of my favorite pens. I would recommend the Poeme. It is well made, weighted well and the metallic beige finish interesting to look at. The feed and nib of the Sakyo and one of the reluctant writers are the same as one of my Diplomat pens as stated earlier in this post. When I sort my camera issues, I'll try and post some pictures.... Hope this helps.

There have been a few threads about Inoxcrome about 6 months ago. There was someone suggesting to be connected to the factory and to be able to get the better types fairly cheap.

Then there was a reaction by the supposed director of Inoxcrom Spain, denouncing that person.

It all sounded rather fishy.

It is a Spanish brand.

My B&M-shop told me they used to carry them but stopped because they were unreliable, in sales and aftersales.

They have a lower tier series, just cheap schoolpens, not unlike the under 10$ Parkers. Quality seems to be so-so.

They do have some higher tier pens that look OK, and are reportedly not bad pens, but they are hard to come by.

At one time I was interested in some of the more expensive pens, but I have dropped my ambitions to buy one. Perhaps if I would find one fairly cheap...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I have had a few of these. They are not bad, but they are not very durable. Good pens for children who want a new pen every year. If you want a pen that will last a lifetime, this is not the brand for you.

my 77 and 55 models write better than the P45. they are very well constructed. i recommend them :thumbup: .

here are some pix from speerbob's (vendor):

the 55:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/inox55red2-1.jpg

the 77:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/inoxbluez2.jpg

here's the 77 (right) next to the p45:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/inoxblue_p45.jpg

Edited by lovemy51

Hi, Yes I have some 77's on eBay now. Red, blue and green. I find they are nice pens, much like a Parker 45. I also find the best cartridge for them is actually a Parker cartridge. Just seems to fit better than an international. cheers, BOB

Check out my website at www.Speerbob.com

http://www.speerbob.com/ebay/SpeerbobBannersmall.jpg

• 3 years later...

I'm sort of rediscovering these pens after a hiatus with other brands. Anyone know of a good online source for the Wall street Elegance models? I've also gotten a couple of Sirocco models great looking pens, anyone know of a good online source for these?

Edited by RMN
no sales/buys in the forums.

I recently bought a few Inoxcroms at europepens.com. You could try your luck there.

Edited by RMN
repaired webaddress

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I recently bought a few Inoxcroms at europens.com. You could try your luck there.

There seems to be something wrong with europens.com I get a message it does not exist

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

There seems to be something wrong with europens.com I get a message it does not exist

D.ick

I e-mailed the website, got a reply the next day, however did not have in stock what I was looking for