Edison Beaumont In Brown Ebonite With Broad Nib

JonB55198

Hi Group,

If you haven't my original post, please see here: One Red Fountain Pen Post. The premise is that I will be making a series of up-trades starting with a Red Wing Sung 322. My plan is to get to my current Grail Pen: the Pelikan M1000 Green Striated with Triple-Broad, Double-Broad or Cursive Italic Broad nib.

Well, I made my 7th trade and Powerbroker was kind enough to trade me two pens. I traded my Pelikan 140 EF for a Conklin Nozac with cursive italic nib and an Edison Beaumont with broad nib. So, as promised in my original "deal" with the FPN, I'm going to review each pen that I receive in trade along the way. This review will be for the Edison.

Edison Beaumont in Brown Ebonite with Broad Nib:

Appearance & Design (7/10) – The appearance of this pen is somewhat classic in its cigar shape. The wide gold cap band, broad gold clip, gold ring at the end of the section, and gold monotone nib go well with the warm color of the brown ebonite. One thing I do not like is that the cap does not post at all. I like to post and I think even for the non-posters out there, a pen should offer both options. The ebonite does have a warm smooth feeling to it that is just excellent. The threads on the cap are VERY smooth and you can almost just twirl the pen quickly and have it spin right into the cap... neat! I rate this pen a 7 only because I like more eye catching and less subdued designs.

Construction & Quality (9/10) – This pen seems very solid in construction. As stated above, the threads for both the section and the cap are excellent. The pen has a heavier feel to it than the Conklin Nozac. The finish on it is very polished and smooth. I just wish the converter was a screw in type and that it posted...

Weight & Dimensions (9/10) – This is a medium-large pen. I love large pens. It has just the right amount of weight to it so that you know you are using a special writing instrument, but not too much as to cause fatigue. It would get a 10 if it were a bit bigger.

Nib & Performance (10/10) – I haven't rated a nib a 10 yet, but this nib is one of the smoothest I've ever tried. Furthermore, after sitting nib-up for 4 days, the pen started right up with not even a millimeter of skipping. It is quite amazing. It lays down somewhat wet lines which is probably why it is so smooth. If you are looking for flex or line width variation, this nib is NOT going to satisfy that need. But for a round nib, it doesn't get much better.

Filling System & Maintenance (8/10) - Nothing super exciting here. It is a converter. Boring but practical. I tend to like pistons better because I only use ink from a bottle. But, this make it very easy to flush. Just pull out the converter and flush using a bulb. The converter is a nice one with a double gasket and operates smoothly. It is a schmidt converter, so it is one of the best converters out there.

Cost & Value (8/10) – I've heard that used these go for $125. I think for this price, it is a pretty good value. Not a super value, but decent. The nib is excellent for this price however.

Conclusion (51/60 = 85%) - I love the size of this pen and the weight. The coloring is a little subdued for me. But, the sweetest part is the nib and the cap. The cap keeps the nib from drying out and the nib is super smooth. Definitely a nice pen!

fpn_1326484146__review_-_edison_beaumont_-_small.jpg

fpn_1324263239__100_0755.jpg

fpn_1324263266__100_0756.jpg

fpn_1324263289__100_0757.jpg

fpn_1324263309__100_0758.jpg

fpn_1324263537__100_0764.jpg

fpn_1324263584__100_0765.jpg

fpn_1324263610__100_0766.jpg

fpn_1324263632__100_0767.jpg

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonB55198

• jandrese

• kiavonne

• snedwos

I've also got one of these Beaumont pens. I think it hearkens back to the Brian's Pencraft days. Mine is in the so called alien acrylic and is pretty distinctive. Like yours, it is a good writer, but it has kit pen parts, thus, it is not totally custom. These days Brian's Edison pens are totally custom, and while more expensive they are by and large still good values. Enjoy your trading adventure, and thanks for sharing.

I've also got one of these Beaumont pens. I think it hearkens back to the Brian's Pencraft days. Mine is in the so called alien acrylic and is pretty distinctive. Like yours, it is a good writer, but it has kit pen parts, thus, it is not totally custom. These days Brian's Edison pens are totally custom, and while more expensive they are by and large still good values. Enjoy your trading adventure, and thanks for sharing.

thanks for reading! love your avatar! :)

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

• 2 years later...

And Menlo, as well. I think I actually bought the last Menlo of his beginnings before Edison Pen Company was in full swing.

Brian Gray made them before he began making pens full time as Edison Pen Company. He moved away from all kit pens and began making all his pens of his own design for what we now enjoy as Edison Pens. I have been following Brian Gray, as well as Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens, since the dawn of their respective and now most fabulous businesses.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

May be it's a question of light but it looks more black than Brown for me...But anyway thanks for this nice review!

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

• 2 weeks later...

Great review! Amazing pictures and thanks for the writing sample. Great looking pen from a great company.

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne