Oh. That Might Have Been A Bit Too Warm.

subbes

I have its matching section! I didn't overheat it, but I did forget to have a nib/feed in it when I squeezed too hard...

Tim

Tim, my little blue SJ cracked through the threads at the top of the barrel. Are you saying you need an SJ section? Did you crack the black section that holds the nib&feed?

If that is what you need, I will send you my SJ section, then we could hope it is a good fit to your barrel.

PM me.

Kathleen

Pen2paper, I just know you could bring a few of the wonderful Esties back to service if you like to tinker. There is not that much required if you are just replacing sacs and J bars and cleaning them up. It really is very satisfying to restore one of these beautiful writing instruments. Now there are others here with abilities far beyond mine; I have not replaced jewels, clips, levers or pulled cap liners. I read their posts that detail such procedures with keen interest, I hope to learn more and perhaps someday I will be brave enough to expand my skills.

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kathleen

• OcalaFlGuy

• subbes

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

P2P, If **I** can resac and restore an Estie, ANYBODY who still has the use of both their thumbs and maybe 3/4's of their fingers can.

I've even broken a hammer [1] and I can usually manage a successful restore. ;)

[1] Gimme a break, I was about 8 and wondered, "hey, if I whack this nail puller part of this hammer on the sidwalk, can I break it." [2]

[2] The answer is a resounding yes.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I am now the incredibly non-proud owner of the deformed barrel of what once was an Estie desk pen, because I got called away while they were warming (in preparation to pull the section and re-sac it).

:headsmack:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Every day is a learning experience.

(I SHALL KEEP IT IN ORDER TO SCARE ANY NONPERFORMING ESTIES.)

If it makes you feel any better, using a new heat gun to remove the hood of a Parker 51, my wife wanted my immediate attention. I now have a Parker 51 with a shrink-wrapped collector. As for those who say "Tut, tut . . ." about distractions, YOU disregard YOUR wife, and see how that works out for you.

Heat, by the way, doesn't seem to be causing this P51 hood to fall back into shape, The pen still writes, though, and fills just fine.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I needed this thread~ laugh.gif

Kathleen, dear FPNer and teacher.. I Do know "repetition is the mother of retention"

in short order, I will find the necessary gizmo's to resac my own esties - honest!

Bruce, I love ya.. (in the appropriate pen buddy way), thank for your humble push.

pjaro, "Tut-tut" Someone has been Forced to watch Dr Phil one too many times lol laugh.gif

aww and a '51 too sad.gif

belly laugh humor, + folks sharing their post campfire pen parts.. I love FPNwub.gif

P2P, If **I** can resac and restore an Estie, ANYBODY who still has the use of both their thumbs and maybe 3/4's of their fingers can.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Chris, Pen2paper, this is the exact same encouragement Bruce gave me. I finally overcame my fear, and believe me I was fearful. The first Estie I ever pulled apart and re-sacced was my late father's Black J. I think some divine intervention allowed me to succeed, I would have been horribly depressed had I broken that pen, it is still my most treasured. Once Daddy's pen was restored I was eager to get my hands on another patient.

I think Bruce and I should insist that you become an active member. Join the EPRP (Esterbrook Pen Repair Practioners). I will not be happy until you join us, there are just too many Esties out there still needing help. We need more hands.

A favorite photo of my father and I, taken my freshman year of college, 1969, and with the photo my father's Esterbrook J, fully restored, filled with ink and memories.

fpn_1326432117__dscn1123.jpg

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Very sorry for the loss of your pen. That is horribly sad. I have found that heat is rarely needed in this process with Esterbrooks. I use a good pair of section pliers on the stubborn ones. Then, maybe I have just been very lucky. Again, I am sorry for this horrible accident. Good luck in the future.

Just because one hasn't openly cracked for you yet doesn't mean you haven't (unnecessarily) stressed the plastic in the thread area that may cause it to crack later on (pulling the section to realign the nib?) when it might not if not stressed before.

You also may not have done many Transitionals which for me and others are more prone to crack than the double jewels.

Using heat to both pull and reinsert the section is just good, cheap, insurance. With Esties, there's just no real, good reason NOT to use it and plenty of good ones TO use it.

Most everyone already has access to a hair dryer which works fine and in the U.S. the craft embossing heat guns that many of the pros use are readily available for about $20.

If you insist on not using heat to pull Esties sections, it's more a matter of WHEN you'll crack one, not if. And of course, when that time DOES come and you hear that sickening CRACK, it's likely to be on a pen you REALLY didn't want to hear it on rather than some oogly junker... :crybaby:

Bruce in Ocala, FL-it's not like we say this because we're getting kick backs from the heat gun makers... :rolleyes:

Okay. I have been officially reprimanded by Bruce. So I have been officially warned as has everybody else that section pliers, no matter how judicially used, will cause cracked sections or barrels eventually if not immediately. While I have been doing it since the mid-1990s without a break or crack yet, I now understand that I am doomed and it is just a matter of time until the break or crack will definitely happen - perhaps even in mid-sentence. If I had only known that repeated heating and cooling of the section/barrel connection would not cause it any stress as the gentle twisting back and forth with the villainous section plies cannot help but do. I now stand corrected.

But you see, I was taught how to replace sacks in Esterbrooks by the man who gave me my first fountain pen (an Esterbrook J): the late, and in my opinion, great GROSS. He died not long ago in his mid-to-late 90s and had been using and repairing fountain pens since the 1940s. Alas, he had did not have the benefit of your experience and advice, for he cautioned that the use of heat was a last resort. Poor, ignorant, old GROSS, had he only known. He was a member here and was the one who told me I should join so I would learn. Too bad he didn't learn while he was here.

It grieves me greatly that I shall be denied membership in the EPRP with you, Kathleen, and Pen2Paper. Still, I thank you for setting me straight. I promise the members of this forum and of EPRP that I will never again advise anyone to use section pliers and, that if I should use them myself (that is, "If you insist on not using heat to pull Esties sections"), I will do so secretly and under cover of darkness.

Again, let me thank you for kindly pointing out the error of my ways. For you did so in the true spirit of this Fountain Pen Network of not belittling me or of making me feel stupid.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

The truthiness of your last sentence flies in the face of the torrent of sarcasm pouring from the remainder of your post.

No reprimand official or otherwise was meant. I'm sorry you took it that way.

It is I who should thank you for the education here.

You are the first person who's made it clear to me that they have absolutely no need whatsoever of any further knowledge or new ideas re; Esterbrook repair. I appreciate you saving me any future wasted time and effort attempting to offer help when none is needed much less appreciated.

Sorry. My bad. I'll be sure and not reply thusly to another post of yours.

PS; Re; your section plier rant. For the record, you've never heard me type not to use them... Normally, I'd finish what what I DO think about them, but, obviously, there's no need here for that. :rolleyes:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Dear Ones. Plan A, Plan B, aka my personal motto, direct theft from Mr. Mom: "220, 221 whatever works"... let's meet in the middle, biggrin.gif tea, coffee, hot, or cold, I'm buying! thumbup.gif

Kathleen, the photo : . ) deeply touched that you shared this.

PS, I'm leaning towards the rubberband method, only because I have one of those already : D

Sincere thanks to All wub.gif

Edited by pen2paper

P2P, I usually grip the section with a piece of bicycle inner tube. It's the thinner of car, motorcycle and bike tubes. Still, about the same as the band. I have section pliers but I can *feel* things better with my fingers. I do use my section pliers to grip a Parker Aero filler with to take off and put on the hood.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I needed this thread~ laugh.gif

Kathleen, dear FPNer and teacher.. I Do know "repetition is the mother of retention"

in short order, I will find the necessary gizmo's to resac my own esties - honest!

Bruce, I love ya.. (in the appropriate pen buddy way), thank for your humble push.

pjaro, "Tut-tut" Someone has been Forced to watch Dr Phil one too many times lol laugh.gif

aww and a '51 too sad.gif

belly laugh humor, + folks sharing their post campfire pen parts.. I love FPNwub.gif

Humor is always good. Laughing is true pleasure. I have done any number of foolish things with pens and other things. If they make anyone laugh, so much the better. Spread the joy and laughter.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.