Toledo

Rick Propas

Congrats on the Toledos!

1) Pretty durable. I haven't had any issues personally. These do tarnish from time to time though from what I've seen. Makes you wonder if there is a coating to prevent tarnishing. A polishing cloth can be a bit aggressive and should be used sparingly. I would have no reservations about daily usage.

2) Not easy. The only way you could spares would be to cannabilize from another pen.

3) Not sure what you're getting at here. How is the nib supposed to align with the binde? My toledos all have different "alignments" with various sections the binde. No right or wrong. The nib really only screws in one way.

Hope that helps.

Please have a look a the picture below. When the nib is centered, the binds is not aligned to the centre of picture (Toledo on the left, The one one of the right looks OK)

post-118992-0-61826300-1511152789.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Rick Propas

• Kalessin

• N1003U

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine is "aligned" although I can not say I had ever noticed until prompted by this thread to check right now, so would not have been troubled about it.

Now that I know it is aligned, I am terribly keen on the feature. ;)

X

As the nib unit is screw fit, it's very difficult to achieve "correct alignment".

A nib unit aligned to a barrel will not get same result in another barrel.

If the nib and the feed are friction fit, we can easily align them to the barrel.

Personally, I prefer the advantage of easy nib exchange with screw fit .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it's nice to have ALL the Toledo versions of the Pelikans, But I personally preferred having all the 101n limited editions that came out about the same time period of the 1o1n Toledo. I got all of those and am so thrilled I was able to get them all at the same time from the same vendor! They are the HIGHLIGHT of my Pelikan collection. Great looking and great writing and fit for my hand!

Fair winds and following seas.

The one thing really missing from my Pelikan collection is the Toledo, maybe this year...

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 2 months later...

Pakman, I highly recommend getting one. I just bought an M910 old style as a belated milestone birthday present to myself (and I've been waiting about 30 years to be financially able to purchase one), and I even managed to get it with the wooden ecritoire travel desk that Pelikan sold as a fancy box with it. The pen was engraved by CT, and the other letters and numbers appear as the "serial number" in the accompanying booklet's warranty page. It is in absolutely pristine condition. The nibs on these are the standard 18K two-tone gold M800 nib.

The Toledos are so difficult to photograph casually, but I like how this picture came out, taken with my phone just now, with the pen on the surface of my desk:

post-2096-0-11337500-1556249903_thumb.jpg

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

• 5 months later...

Like my friend Pakman - great visit at the Dallas show! - I, too, covet a Pelikan. Specifically a Toledo rollerball, 7XX series. To this point, it seems like they - spoken of in Pelikan advertising - are like the Loch Ness Monster, or the Abominable Snowman. Has anybody ever seen one? Does anybody own one they might share a picture of or be interested in selling?

Paul

color me skeptical

Edited by OneRiotOneRanger

I've never seen or heard word of a 7xx Toledo rollerball.

Apparently some 9xx toledo rollerballs were produced, in gold and in silver. There's a silver one on martiniauctions.com

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

I have a 710 Toledo. It is the smaller version. I love everything about it but the Red resin looks a little cheesy compared the quality of the rest of the pen.

Other than that; its a Pelikan…..

the Danitrio Fellowship

• 1 month later...

Wow, it looks beautiful!

I'll buy tomorrow my first pelikan M900 toledo (new series) and I'm quite excited about that!

Pakman, I highly recommend getting one. I just bought an M910 old style as a belated milestone birthday present to myself (and I've been waiting about 30 years to be financially able to purchase one), and I even managed to get it with the wooden ecritoire travel desk that Pelikan sold as a fancy box with it. The pen was engraved by CT, and the other letters and numbers appear as the "serial number" in the accompanying booklet's warranty page. It is in absolutely pristine condition. The nibs on these are the standard 18K two-tone gold M800 nib.

The Toledos are so difficult to photograph casually, but I like how this picture came out, taken with my phone just now, with the pen on the surface of my desk:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a brand new, un-inked 1931 M101 Limited Edition Toledo that's been in storage all these years that I purchased as an investment when they were released. I wonder if it might be time to sell it or do you folks think it will continue to go up in value? It seems that most of the collectors are older and this fountain pen thing is a dying hobby?

Edited by JCC123

I have a brand new, un-inked 1931 M101 Limited Edition Toledo that's been in storage all these years that I purchased as an investment when they were released. I wonder if it might be time to sell it or do you folks think it will continue to go up in value? It seems that most of the collectors are older and this fountain pen thing is a dying hobby?

There's an M101 "Originals of their Time" 1931 Toledo that I'd consider fantasy priced at US$7500.00 on ebay right now, and I found a record of a non-ebay auction sale for 2400 Euros from March 2019. Even though 1100 examples were made, they are uncommon in the used marketplace.

https://www.martemodenabrand.com/won-customers/3317-pelikan-fountain-pen-m101-toledo-1931-limited-edition-solid-gold-18k-nib-18k-fine.html

If I had the budget and could find one for 2400 Euros, I would strongly consider buying it. US$7500 would be far too much.

There's an M101 "Originals of their Time" 1931 Toledo that I'd consider fantasy priced at US$7500.00 on ebay right now, and I found a record of a non-ebay auction sale for 2400 Euros from March 2019. Even though 1100 examples were made, they are uncommon in the used marketplace.

https://www.martemodenabrand.com/won-customers/3317-pelikan-fountain-pen-m101-toledo-1931-limited-edition-solid-gold-18k-nib-18k-fine.html

If I had the budget and could find one for 2400 Euros, I would strongly consider buying it. US$7500 would be far too much.

Wow, $3k seems a bit low and $7.5k seems a bit too high?

Wow, $3k seems a bit low and $7.5k seems a bit too high?

I'm not super-sure about the low number, as I haven't been looking to buy and really digging to research completed sale prices. I think the best course of action is to keep researching until you find a few more completed sales, and from them you can make a value determination.

Oh, as for fountain pens being a dying hobby, I think that the hobby is getting new people, but their choice of social media doesn't include forums like FPN. If you look on Reddit, https://old.reddit.com/r/fountainpens, you'll find almost exclusively young people buying the less-expensive pens they can afford along with enormous amounts of ink.

I'm not super-sure about the low number, as I haven't been looking to buy and really digging to research completed sale prices. I think the best course of action is to keep researching until you find a few more completed sales, and from them you can make a value determination.

Oh, as for fountain pens being a dying hobby, I think that the hobby is getting new people, but their choice of social media doesn't include forums like FPN. If you look on Reddit, https://old.reddit.com/r/fountainpens, you'll find almost exclusively young people buying the less-expensive pens they can afford along with enormous amounts of ink.

I guess the correct price/value is whatever the market is willing to bear? Since mine is brand new, un-inked, I would think it's worth a bit more than the used ones? I guess I can throw it on fleabay and take my chances. Perhaps I'll set a high starting bid, maybe not quite as high as the $7.5k.

I'll be surprised if many young people are into fountain pens like gen-x and older folks. I know that schools stopped teaching cursive about 20 years ago and asking my nephew, who is gen-z, he doesn't even do much hand writing at all as he types faster than he can write. :( He does just about everything on his laptop now: taking notes, homework, etc.