The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Toledo

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Propas

Rick Propas

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:23

Today the pen second from left 111NT arrived, and what this means is that I now have a complete run of the Pelikan Toledo (excluding the silver models and all the cute colored barrels):

Posted Image

Left to Right:
1932 Pelikan T111 (Toledo)
1937 Pelikan 111NT
1987 Pelikan M700
1991 Pelikan M900
2003 Pelikan M111T

Close up of the bindes:

Posted Image

Hard to tell from photos, but note how much more detailed the early carving (1932) is than even the 1937, let alone the M700 and 900. The OOTT is truer to the real originals, but still . . .

Sponsored Content

#2 HBlaine

HBlaine

And then the mysteries began

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:58

Oh Rick, you are making me GREEN with envy here! :sick: :gaah:

:lol:

Beautiful collections! Congratulations!! :notworthy1:
"Here was a man who had said, with his wan smile, that once he realized that he would never be a protagonist, he decided to become, instead, an intelligent spectator, for there was no point in writing without serious motivation." - Casaubon referring to Belbo, Foucault's Pendulum.

#3 fountain1pen

fountain1pen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:23

Rick,

Great pens! Thanks for posting all the Toledo pens together so us (non experts) can compare the difference/variation between them. Any reason why the 2003 one looks almost identical to the 100T at first glance. Didn't Peli make special markings on the 2003 Toledos so unscrupulous sellers could not pass the 2003 pens as 100T.

#4 pelicanachic

pelicanachic

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:41

what a beautiful collection!! congratulations!!

#5 Rick Propas

Rick Propas

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:07

Rick,

Great pens! Thanks for posting all the Toledo pens together so us (non experts) can compare the difference/variation between them. Any reason why the 2003 one looks almost identical to the 100T at first glance. Didn't Peli make special markings on the 2003 Toledos so unscrupulous sellers could not pass the 2003 pens as 100T.

That's actually an excellent question, and one that no one apparently thought of. To the trained eye there are differences in the carving and the color of the gold. But could one detect a new binde slipped onto an old body?

Edited by Rick Propas, 10 January 2012 - 04:07.

#6 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:48

Rick, my friend! Please don't tell my wife or she'll kill me!!

Mike :blink:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#7 rhr2010

rhr2010

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 13:06

Fantastic collection! I only have the M700, mine is also from the 80s and the 18KT nib, is one of my most flexible Pelikan nibs.

O my, the T111 of 1932Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
I should start saving for one of those, then if one day one comes to market, I can always sell my car and put a bidPosted Image
" I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." -- Albert Einstein

#8 Soot

Soot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 13:13

Rick, Congrats on completing your collection of drool pieces!
That 111NT is a beauty, I think that's my favorite of them all.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

#9 fountain1pen

fountain1pen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 13:15

I strongly urge our esteem moderator to have this thread pinned. Rick has provided us with the wonderful pic of all Toledos together (no Peli reference materials have such pic). It would be a pity of have this great reference lost amongst the threads. I think Rick would concur with my suggestion.

#10 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 11,523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 13:49

Rick, my friend! Please don't tell my wife or she'll kill me!!
Mike :blink:

To be serious, my wife just gave me a brand new M900 for my birthday last November and it will probably remain my very most favourite of all (of the pens I have). I hardly ever use my M1000 or M800 anymore. Thanks for sharing, Rick... that is one most challenging collection up there.
Mike :clap1:

#11 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 11,523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 13:52

I strongly urge our esteem moderator to have this thread pinned. Rick has provided us with the wonderful pic of all Toledos together (no Peli reference materials have such pic). It would be a pity of have this great reference lost amongst the threads. I think Rick would concur with my suggestion.

+1 ON THAT! <== yes, that's shouting!

:thumbup:

#12 Rick Propas

Rick Propas

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 16:32

Bill,

That would be just fine with me. Let's allow folks to comment for a bit more and then pin it when you think appropriate.

R.

#13 matveik

matveik

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 16:39

What a stunning collection! Thanks for posting the picture. Some day...

#14 Bipedallou

Bipedallou

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 17:13

Absolutely wonderful collection. IMHO the Toledo Pelikan FP's are, new and old, the most distinctive and most attractive fountain pens around. Perhaps some day I'll be able to own one too! I'm partial to the M900 Toledo, but, (setting the financial considerations aside), not sure if I like the gold better than the silver better. I suppose one could always dream of having one of each :roflmho: .
Thanks for the great pictures :clap1: !
Lou

#15 Rick Propas

Rick Propas

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 17:15

Some additional images of the new pen, the 111NT (second from left in tray above)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's where it gets a bit heartbreaking, since the pen is so near to perfect. But these pens are very fragile and it must have been stored with this aspect down. Still good, but not great

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Rick Propas, 10 January 2012 - 17:17.

#16 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 11,523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 17:56

Rick, may I ask in all humbleness how you knew which pens all belong to the designation 'Toledo'?
I believe you, I believe you...
... I mean, where did you find out all that history? I think nobody knows that at Pelikan in Hannover...

Mike

#17 leod

leod

Inksane

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 18:53

very nice flock of birds! they should have stayed with the old cap style on the new ones but still :notworthy1:
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

#18 Rick Propas

Rick Propas

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 20:22

Mike,

The Toledo designation comes from the factory. Apart from the archives, including historic price lists (see Günther Wagner, Hannover, Pelikan Hauptliste 70, p. 152), you can find reference to the designation in the work of Martin Lehmann and Jürgen Dittmer, both the book, Pelikan Schreibgeräte (pg. 40, 2004 ed.)and Martin's associated website, which is pinned at the top of the forum. (http://www.pelikan-g.../100_metal.html) Pelikan Schreibgeräte as referenced above contains a nice little paragraph on the origins of the Toledo.

The more recent pens, the M700 and M900 come with packing that references the name, as does the OOTT.

Hope this helps

Rick

Rick, may I ask in all humbleness how you knew which pens all belong to the designation 'Toledo'?
I believe you, I believe you...
... I mean, where did you find out all that history? I think nobody knows that at Pelikan in Hannover...

Mike

#19 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 11,523 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2012 - 21:36

Rick, thanks a lot. That certainly is a lot of help. I was just wondering since I love the heck out of Toledos and am still looking for what may still be available.

Mike :rolleyes:

#20 jgrasty

jgrasty

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,977 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:56

Outstanding. My M700 Toledo remains my favorite pen.

Regards,

Joey

http://flexiblenib.com

Sponsored Content

|