Brands You Will Never Buy From

seoulseeker

Probably Visconti or Montegrappa. I can't see spending $300 or close to it for a pen with a steel nib.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• proton007

• ethernautrix

• pajaro

• amberleadavis

I have only avoided a parker thus far because I think that their clips are far too stylized, and detract quite significantly from the pen. Would take a parker with a plain clip (or no clip for that matter) any day :puddle:

+1. To me, Parker arrow clips are hideous. I'll only buy vintage Parkers for this reason.

But I don't mean to offend anyone who likes them! To each his or her own. :)

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

when i first saw a lamy, i thought "how ugly"

and now i own a bunch and they are my favorite brand because of the quality and value

now i tend to think most of the really fancy european "roccoco" pens are ugly and overdone

however, i am reminded of all the girls i told myself i wasn't attracted too .... until they winked at me

and then they turned into real beauties

when i first saw a lamy, i thought "how ugly"

I too think that Lamy is ugly. What did you say her phone number was?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I'm on the fence when it comes to Pilot, Sailor and Platinum. There's a part of me that would like to try one of these (given the reviews), but each time I consider a purchase I am disappointed by the lack of value they offer and the lack of nib selection. In the $100-200 range you are limited to C/C pens with needle-nibs. Want a real B nib? You'll have to pay extra for a "music" nib. A built in filler? Good luck!

Is there a reason that Japan can't make a decent $150 pen? Every time I try to select one, I find myself thinking that I should just get another Lamy 2000.

Rotring and Lamy. Just too dang ugly! :sick:

Well, I've never won a beauty contest, so I give ugly fair break.

I got a couple of those ugly sticks and they write darn nice for a $25 pen.

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

Mont Blanc and Parker (customer service) and Waterman (nib tooth).

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I can't honestly say 'never' or 'never again' at this point. I actually like old pens, but keep falling into 'oooh pretty' syndrome :embarrassed_smile:

At this point I've never seen a Krone that I cared for, let alone the price! Montblanc has some pretty regular models, and the finish is (from what I can tell in pictures) very high, I simply am afraid of spending that much money on an every day pen.

Having said that if I were to find ANYTHING at a yard sale for a reasonable price I'd likely get it (thrill of the hunt and all that!)

I'm pretty weird though, I get the biggest thrill from great writing in an inexpensive pen....(preferably vintage)

I guess that's why Vintage Sheaffers, Esterbrooks, and Parkers make up the bulk of my collection, with some nice Pilots thrown in for everyday workhorse pens. In fact my favorite 'pricey' pen is the Pilot VP, smooth writing, bulletproof design, and very convenient! I seem to buy one every time I see them on 'special' somewhere! :embarrassed_smile:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Ugh.

I'm in the "never say never" field. In example, I once swore I would never buy a maki-e pen because I thought they were gaudy and expensive. Now, I have a love of certain Japanese pens in the traditional art and have no less than two very expensive, custom maki-e pens.

At this time, I would not purchase a Krone. Doesn't fit my ideal of a good pen at this time.

At this time, I would not purchase another modern Parker. The last left a bad taste. I might buy another vintage, if it really "spoke" to me.

At this time, I would not purchase another LAMY. I really wanted to like these pens, but the two models I owned were disappointments to me.

Etc.

Things change, though. You never know what might be around the corner.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I had 2 Rotrings that I could never get to write and ended up in the circular bin-I wouldnt in my good conscience even sell or give them to anyone else as it would be sure to sour them on the FP experience, or me

After repeated problems with MB, I will not buy another.

Sadly, I have not purchased any modern Sheaffer's for what Bic has done to the company. Sad, indeed.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

Modern pens...because the nib is not up to yesteryear. and I'm not into fat blobby nibs or nails.

It's got to be 14 k if gold so I can send it off to be made softer, springier or with luck semi-flex.

New pen + big transformation price. :headsmack: :wacko:

If I absolutely need Smooth...I can buy an old nail or regular flex pen and smooth it with micro-mesh. Get a top of the line pen at affordable prices.

China with it's low labor costs could swamp the world with good semi-flex, or better nibs.

Bock can make semi-flex nibs if any one was buying, but they sell only wholesale and those companies are ran by roller ball users out side of their signature pen.

Nothing can get in the way of the bonus and those managers will be off miss managing other companies in a couple of years so don't care.

Offering better nibs is not cost bonus efficient. If the managers had the slightest idea what a better nib was in the first place.

They were not hired because of knowledge of the product but to cut costs.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Despite my occasional disappointments with quality control and service, I can't say I wouldn't buy a pen from a specific brand for these reasons. Things tend to be quite variable nowadays. On the other hand, there are many brands that leave me completely cold but that's a matter of preference.

If I had a bad service experience, I probably would not buy a pen from that company again.

I can't see buying any more sub-$25 pens. I already have enough of these, and I'd rather use the ones I have.

I think some pens are unattractive, so I wouldn't buy them, but that's personal preference. Everyone is different there.

Then there are pens that I would love, but really can't justify financially. I have enough pens, after all.

That said, I never say never. :) Particularly with the last category. :)

I wouldn't buy an Authentic Models Palette for Pens glass pen again. They're pretty and beautifully packaged, but they don't write well.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5297/5432507270_4f19d7bd29_z.jpg

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Krone . . . I do not think I can write comfortably with those pens.

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

I can't think of any brands where I could honestly say "I'll never buy one of their pens" but there are many where I can say "So far they have produced nothing I want."

I concur.

I can't think of any brands where I could honestly say "I'll never buy one of their pens" but there are many where I can say "So far they have produced nothing I want."

I concur.

I'll buy that

:clap1:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)