Isellpens New Brand Asking For Feedback?

isellpens

I liked the suggestion of Mesa Pens. Easily could be used for inks, as well.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penrivers

• JeanManuel

• Lloyd

• JefferyS

iSellPens strikes me as more of a domain name than a brand name. Pen-King may not quite fit either (for me it evokes places like Mattress King, Furniture King, etc.).

I think The Scribbler has a good idea about linking it to the American Southwest. Mesa Pens perhaps?

+1 to this thought.

Some names sound too gimmicky. Sure you want to have fun, but you also want to be taken seriously enough to gather at least a bit of a following. Though others like it, I frankly suggest that TNT pens sounds way too 70's or 7th grade (no offense as it does have real meaning).

Even simply "Nussbaum" may not be as flashy, but is far more serious and mature. I do like the Southwest theme potential as long as it does not become ridiculous. Arizona has wonderful names of counties and forests (Coconino for example?) that whet the imagination something fierce!

Think this through. Better to be thought too serious than too childish. But shoot for perfection! BTW, we (at least I) do appreciate the respect and humility you demonstrated by offering to let this forum assist your decision.

[color=#444444][size=2][left]In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.[/left][/size][/color][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/img]

How 'bout "INK" pens. I can't think of a good acronym, but it's quirky.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

+1 to "Ink" Pens

OK, my inner child is saying "Ink Bomb". Trust me, you do need something memorable. Calling something "Acme Pen Company" or "State Pen Company" really defeats that idea of branding. You want something that sticks in people's minds.

Edited by Fabienne

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Todd Pen Co.

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

Arizona Pen Company?

Inky fingers?

TNT, We'll all get a bang out of that, think of the model names

Compact pen: the Firecracker

Everyday pen: M80

The big pen: The BOMB

The oversize: The Fat Man

You could use Wile-e-coyote as a mascot, for the ACME model...

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Mesa Pen & Ink sounds too much like Messy Pen & Ink.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Geography gives you a nice hook for later ideas. Thinking of the Southwest (or my stereotypical ideas of it): Cactus, Arroyo (maybe better for dry writers :lol: ), Monument, Canyon...

However I'd agree with the others about Mesa.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Cactus Pens - To the Point.

The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? 42 or Good fountain pens and Ink?

Everyone has posted valid suggestions andI thought I would post my point of view.

If it were me I would look to understand what demographic within the fountain pen users you want to sell to. It's far too easy to say all and in my experience unrealistic.

Some folks might like a quirkly name, some an acronym, some a company sounding name and others a brand.

Myself as a relatively new pen buyer, I look for something that I can use in my everyday work and social life. Whereas, social is relaxed, it would still be classed as relatively conservative. At work, though I mostly do my work alone in a cube, meetings and interactions mean a level of conservatism too.

If the pens are going to be pink, green, yellow, etc, a quirky catchy name would work. If your looking to put out a pen that could/would be used in the business or more conservative setting, a name that reflects that is required.

The reason I like the name Pilot, Namiki, Pelikan, Mont Blanc is that they sound like Brands and have an associated gravitas. I don't really like something like xxxx and xxxx company as it could be misconstrued as one of those give away marketing pens.

Simarlarly with names and logos on pens. Logo's I like, e.g. Pelikan, Mont Blanc, etc. Very discreet naming is okay to such as with the Namiki Falcon has, but I don't like imprints in the pen. To my mind again it resembles a marketing give away pen.

I actually quite like the idea of an unmarked pen, for some reason it does appear to me as quite exclusive.

This is just my opinion and maybe I'm a different person to that one you would like to sell too, but just thought I would share my thoughts.

F.

P.S. There's nothing wrong with marketing give away pens.

P.P.S Just read my post again, I'm not really that boring.

Edited by New_Falcon

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

Arizona Pens :thumbup:

Simple, elegant, can be taken seriously, unlike quirky, pun-based names.

Edited by januaryman

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Since Scottsdale is near the Phoenix Mountains Preserves, how about Phoenix Pens? A Phoenix is a nice logo, too.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I like TNT, but as others have suggested it might turn off some users. Several well known pen brands (Parker, Sheaffer, Waterman) are the company founder's family name, so Nussbaum seems like a sensible and respectable brand name. Using the Todd Pens would remind many enthusiasts of the historic Mabie Todd Co., though I prefere Nussbaum. I like several of the geographic names as well: Arizona Pens, Mesa Pens, Painted Desert Pens, and a few others.

Since Scottsdale is near the Phoenix Mountains Preserves, how about Phoenix Pens? A Phoenix is a nice logo, too.

Ooh ooh you beat me to it!

Phoenix Pens is great. Nice blend of imagery and geography and you could do a lot with the branding.

My second choice:

Helios Pens (after the first Greek sun god).

Edited by clickiechick

Wassup wid that, homes? Looks like you're WANT to feel the hurt. -ethernautrix

Mesa Pen & Ink sounds too much like Messy Pen & Ink.

I was thinking along the lines of, "I got a whole Mesa pens..." :)

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Ooh ooh you beat me to it!

Phoenix Pens is great. Nice blend of imagery and geography and you could do a lot with the branding.

My second choice:

Helios Pens (after the first Greek sun god).

+n for Phoenix too -- great logo potential.

Helios is good too.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I like the old custom of putting your name on your products like Sheaffer's, Esterbrook, etc... It meant that you took pride in your product. I like the Nussbaum Pen Company. It has a solid sound. Either way, I'm sure we all look forward to seeing your product line. :thumbup:

'

The other thing to consider is the cost (and trouble) associated with trademarking the name selected. The more common the word, the greater the limitations on what can be trademarked and the more precise the concomitant logo requirements.

I rather like using Nussbaum as the brand name and then employing the more creative suggestions as model names. Ya gotta think long-term!

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.