Faber-Castell " Basic Black" Carbon Fiber - Fine Nib

seoulseeker

Do you know if this pen shares the same type of nib as the ambition series? It's a nice looking pen, infect the whole range is nice, even the basic wooden ones. Every week I find something new. Like abut Faber-castell.

Same nib and writing experience, and for a fraction of the cost!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• seoulseeker

• shahrincamille

• beluga

• Phormula

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you know if this pen shares the same type of nib as the ambition series? It's a nice looking pen, infect the whole range is nice, even the basic wooden ones. Every week I find something new. Like abut Faber-castell.

Same nib and writing experience, and for a fraction of the cost!

The Basic fountain pen fits better in the hand than the Ambition too!

I could never get entirely used to the step between grip section and nib assembly on the Ambition series.

I was taught how to correctly hold fountain pens at school more than 50 years ago and the Ambition just doesn't strike me as a very ergonomic design in the grip section, no matter how much I love pens with wooden barrel section.

I agree on the ergonomics of the Ambition.

The Basic, Ambition, Ondoro and e-Motion share the same nib, actually the feeding section (which is screwed in the grip) is the same, I swapped the Ambition one into the Ondoro, because I wanted a Fine Ambition and Medium Ondoro.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder, could you clarify whether the material surrounding the carbon fibre is glass or plastic?

I doubt ergonomics was a concern in the grip design. I think they went for the minimum amount of material to keep costs down. It is about as small a grip as most people can use without getting peeved off and dispensing with the pen.

The ambition I have is a reluctant starter, but smooth once ink reaches the tip. It a nice balance of being wet and smooth. The style of the nib is a welcome change from the norm. I like the pen overall, but I would not use it daily. I can make peace with the grip for a couple of days before I get impatient.

• 2 weeks later...

The low cost can probably be attributed to this pen being made in China. My BP is stamped "China" on the very top, around the opening for the clicker button. I am a bit disappointed, as I had hoped for a true German writing instrument, but it is still a nice pen. The clearcoat over the CF does look susceptible to eventual scratches.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have two Basic and one Ambition fountain pens. While I have relatively big hands as an Asian, this pen fits way better than the Ambition in my hand. The length of the pen without the cap on the end is 13.5 cm or 4.5 inches, it was the perfect size to me (I wear L-size gloves in the lab, and it's a little bit tight.) The center of the weight sets on 4.5 cm or 1.5 inches from the end, where it can rest against the bottom of my index finger.

I mostly write in Chinese, which requires precise control of the nib to write the sophisticated strokes of the characters nicely. Thus I usually hold my pen with an angle between 50 and 60 degrees from the paper. I can barely feel the weight pressing my hand. To me, I will get less control of the tip if the pen is too light. That's why I bought two of them, another one is the leather version, filled with different color ink.

Please note that I don't put the cap on the back when I am writing with these two pens. That will shift the position of the weight way back out of my hand.

They are my most favorite. Inexpensive, reliable, durable, and easy to write.

I wonder, could you clarify whether the material surrounding the carbon fibre is glass or plastic?

I think it feels more like resin.

• 4 months later...

I received the shiny silver version as a gift but is way too heavy on the back and I found the look too flashy as well. So I exchanged it for the carbon fibre version. Its look is casual but elegant and is ligther than the other model. It is still on the heavy side but much more manageable.

The price in Mexico is about US$30 while de shiny metal is about US$50. Question of the intended market taste I guess.

I received the shiny silver version as a gift but is way too heavy on the back and I found the look too flashy as well. So I exchanged it for the carbon fibre version. Its look is casual but elegant and is ligther than the other model. It is still on the heavy side but much more manageable.

The price in Mexico is about US$30 while de shiny metal is about US$50. Question of the intended market taste I guess.

That's very useful, I have the matte silver pen and find it too tail-heavy. I very much like the look of the carbon fibre one but had been put off buying it in case it was as ill-balanced as the silver one. Knowing that it isn't puts it back into contention.

That's very useful, I have the matte silver pen and find it too tail-heavy. I very much like the look of the carbon fibre one but had been put off buying it in case it was as ill-balanced as the silver one. Knowing that it isn't puts it back into contention.

Chris

The Writing Desk lists the weight as between 27g and 41g depending on the finish. :yikes:

Sorry, I had a quick look but couldn't find a comparison on the two you mention.

The cap on this looks like a scaled up version of the caps on their cheap disposable ballpoints and seems out of place next to the barrel of the pen. They could have copied the pattern on the barrel or something...

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the review. I'm going to order one from Pen Gallery now. I was looking for a carbon fiber pen and really liked the Kaweco one, but the price difference is considerable.

Nice review with lots of pics.

I really love my fabers and the way they write.

Just remember they become better after some days of use. You will be very pleased day after day and won' t regret your purchase.

I also agree with bottom of the feed becomes inky, and it happens in just every pen of faber I have.

Pelikan : M805 Souveran Black-Blue-Silver (F), Ductus 3110 (F), Classic Taupe M205 (F) Waterman : Carene Royal Violet (M) Faber Castell : E-Motion Croco Brown (F), Loom Orange (M), Ambition Rhombus Black (M) Pilot : MR Silver (M), MR Animal Mat Black Croco (M) Lamy : Safari Umbra Mat (M), Safari Black (M), Vista (EF) Pentel : Tradio Nature (M)

• 1 month later...

anyone has the basic with the pseudo - mother of pearl design? thinking of getting that but can't seem to find any real photos of it online bar the photoshopped ones for display

Quick question. That is real carbon fiber, isn't it? I should hope so for over $40. I don't think I'd buy it if it were fake CF.

Yes and no, I would think. Objects made of solid carbon fiber are tough, expensive and very light weight (ask someone who owns an $8000 carbon fiber mountain bike). This pen is neither expensive nor light, I take it. Genuine pure carbon fiber pens are made by Tombow and Conway Stewart. The full size Tombow only weighs about 10 g vs 18 to 27 g for typical pens. The carbon fiber is built up on a mandrel, then the mandrel is removed, leaving a thin, strong carbon fiber tube.

Much more common are pens with a decorative carbon fiber skin: Kaweco (own one, the carbon fiber are glued on panels), Cross Townsend (called them up and asked), Pilot Vanishing Point (decorative sleeve over metal body), and others.

In summary, not fake probably, but a decorative finish only.

Bob

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

• 1 year later...

I have made it in an eyedropper today. Any comments?

Only that you'll probably rust out the springs at the bottom of the barrel an the little metal ring just above where the C/C connects on the section.

Also not sure why you bumped the 2 year old thread for just that.

But in regards to the original post, Seems interesting that they shipped with a converter 2 years ago. Also the box is a bit different now:

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/fabercastell_basic/uncapped.jpg

• 1 month later...

I got myself a FC Basic Carbon Fibre during a visit to Pengallery's store today.

The pen came without a converter, so after coming home I inserted a spare Schmidt K1 (the one without any metal parts) one. The nipple end fit in well enough with a nice click, but when I tried screwing the barrel on to the section it just wouldn't screw in all the way with the converter attached. I also tried fitting in the FC-branded converters from both my Emotion Pearwood and GvFC Guilloche, and both wouldn't fit in too.

I ended up swapping the Schmidt converter with a shorter one from my Chinese-made Sonnet clone Baoer 388. Any one else have issues with converters fitting into this pen?

Shahrin