-:| Another Custom Pen From Edison |:-

Aslan

Some Background:

As an advisor to business owners, one of the discussion topics that I often bring up is "Your momentum is taking you somewhere. Take notice." Recently, taking my own advice, I noticed a trend developing in my pen corral.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7141/6635656637_6b44d99b8d.jpg

This is only part of the trend, but I think it makes the point. BTW, I need some photography lessons, lighting lessons, or a referral to a better photographer. In real life the pens are not THAT orange.

Experience:

I have heard people say, "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like." Adapted and applied to me it would state, "I don't know much about fountain pens, but I know what I like - and where to go to get it done." This line of thinking led to the original Edison Collier. I really like working with Brian. He's smart, creative, a gifted craftsman, and oozes customer service. And he is a friend. I wanted to do another project with him.

In discussions over the span of a few months I discovered Brian had a single bar stock of black and white cellulose (Please, hold it for me!). During this same time period I had a picture in my mind of an Edison Stillwell without the overlay. A classic and beautiful pen shape in and of itself.

Result:

These thoughts and ideas recently came together in Brian's Magic Pen Creation Laboratory.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7029/6635663879_5de40e496c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7035/6635663595_accd509bc6.jpg

I couldn't decide whether I wanted gold trim, using a nib that Brian had stubbed for me on a pervious project a couple of years ago, or rhodium (18K gold). So I got both. Brian's pictures above show the gold version. Below are my feeble attempts to capture the beauty of this pen with the rhodium trim and nib.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7163/6635659831_104f3c4e48.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6635660905_5c47d3c63f.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7007/6635663273_63e69b3b93.jpg

As you might suspect, the fit and finish are, well, Edison quality. The Fine 18k nib is smooth on the page and is about a 7/10 in ink flow. The threads mate perfectly and the pen feels well balanced in my hand. I've been using it now for about a month and still love it. It and the Collier are always in my rotation. wink.gif

I thought you might enjoy seeing the results of this latest project.

John

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aslan

• jde

• kiavonne

• basterma

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to this nice pen.

What's that for a nib. It's not looking like the usual Edison nib?

Thanks

Sascha

Gorgeous! I really like the cellulose. Hmmm, wonder what else Brian has hidden away?

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

For taking more realistic color pictures, try fiddling with the white balance to match the light source. So for fluorescent light use the fluorescent white balance setting. It adjusts the image processing for the light to give a truer white. If you don't have the setting take the pictures in sunlight.

Thanks

Sascha

Sascha,

The gold nib is a standard Bock nib that Brian used before he got Edison-engraved nibs. As I mentioned, it came for a pen that Brian did for me a few years ago.

Sometimes when I'm sleeping nibs migrate from one pen to another. unsure.gif On occasion I somehow end up with an odd number of one or the other. It's actually nice to have a "back up" nib that you really like.

John

For taking more realistic color pictures, try fiddling with the white balance to match the light source. So for fluorescent light use the fluorescent white balance setting. It adjusts the image processing for the light to give a truer white. If you don't have the setting take the pictures in sunlight.

Thanks basterma, I'll check that next time. thumbup.gif

John

Very handsome pen. Great celluloid!

Hmmm, wonder what else Brian has hidden away?

It does beg to be asked, doesn't it?

Edited by jde

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Thanks

Sascha

Sascha,

The gold nib is a standard Bock nib that Brian used before he got Edison-engraved nibs. As I mentioned, it came for a pen that Brian did for me a few years ago.

Sometimes when I'm sleeping nibs migrate from one pen to another. unsure.gif On occasion I somehow end up with an odd number of one or the other. It's actually nice to have a "back up" nib that you really like.

I am thinking about getting a stub. Is yours a fine or a medium? I'd love to see a writing sample.

A couple of amatuer tips on photography.

Make a light box. No flash. Notice how there is no 'shine' on the Edison, but there is on yours?

Use a very bland background, as in no texteure. Notice the Edison is on flat white and yours is on a carpet like material. If you're using auto-focus, the camera may focus on that instead of the pen. And background detail takes your eye away from the subject.

Thanks

Sascha

Sascha,

I am thinking about getting a stub. Is yours a fine or a medium? I'd love to see a writing sample.

Doodlebug,

This nib may not be typical of every stub in that Brian added a little flex to it. Here's the writing sample you requested:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/6641901461_2d3ac93443.jpg

You might also visit Richard Binder's website and check out the Reference Pages on nibs, especially "Nibs III: Flex vs Italic."

John

Gorgeous! I really like the cellulose. Hmmm, wonder what else Brian has hidden away?

kiavonne, I was the beneficiary of being in the right place at the right time with the right idea in mind, and being fortunate enough to ask the right question to the right person. I love it when a plan comes together, even if it's not exactly my plan! tongue.gif

Make a light box. No flash. Notice how there is no 'shine' on the Edison, but there is on yours?

Use a very bland background, as in no texteure. Notice the Edison is on flat white and yours is on a carpet like material. If you're using auto-focus, the camera may focus on that instead of the pen. And background detail takes your eye away from the subject.

pjsmithe, Points taken. Thanks!

John

Very nice. Like a Glenmont with tapered ends.

Regards,

Vince

amateur vintage pen fixer and nib tuner

Very handsome pen. Great celluloid!

Hmmm, wonder what else Brian has hidden away?

It does beg to be asked, doesn't it?

(...rubs hands together in an evil manner...)

The secret stash exists! Muhahahaha!

I can resist all temptation but an Edison pen!

You evil man, you.

Edited by jde

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi