The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Bexley Elegancia, Blue Shell

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 owenj

owenj

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2012 - 14:32

Posted Image

Appearance & Design: Big, blue, & stripey. The acrylic shell is semi-transparent & a lovely mix of blues with dark lines throughout. Black cap jewel & blind cap with silver trim. It's a simple but attractive design, imo, different but not attention-seeking. Comes in 4 beautiful shell colors: blue, red, silver, & gold.

Posted Image

Construction & Quality: The pen feels well made. No seams, & I find the gripping section easy to hold. A screw on cap with a rollerball style clip.

Weight & Dimensions: It's light since there aren't any metal parts/inserts, but still full size at ~5 1/4" capped, over 6" when posted. Weighs in at around 20 grams. It's possible to post, but I find the balance is thrown off in doing so, & the pen is a comfortable length to use unposted.

Nib & Performance: This was my first broad size nib, & now I can't wait to try a Bexley stub! I have the 18k version, which is a beautiful two-tone color with decorative engraving & the Bexley "B", company name, size, & material content visible. It's also a pretty big nib compared to those of my meager collection (Pelikan M2xx, Pilot, Waterman). I have a "Binderized" nib, so it lays down a fairly wet, smooth line. It was a little bit of a hard starter for the first run, but having just finished my 3rd fill that has almost completely gone away.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Filling System: Cartridge/Converter filler, uses the international carts & Schmidt K5 converter (included). No frills, decent ink capacity.

Cost & Value:
This pen was a Christmas present from my husband, purchased new from Richard Binder (richardspens.com). Given the choice between steel (<$100) & gold nibs (low $200s) & nib interchangeability, I think the Elegancia is a very nice addition to the Bexley line.

Sponsored Content

#2 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 17:06

Nice review :) I've had my eye on a Bexley, but hadn't really settled on the 'one.' Looks like you got a good one.
Tamara

#3 owenj

owenj

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2012 - 22:25

Thanks! I hear you on not being able to choose "the one" Bexley. I gave my husband a few links & let him surprise me ;)

#4 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:42

very nice pen! i dunno what it is about that "stripey" -as you called it- look of the resin that i like more than "marble" or "veiny" look.

congrats!

Sponsored Content

|