The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

The Penscript Nib-Lings

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 20:17

Borrowing from a previous topic, and to keep these posts all together, I thought it would be fun to post some of the interesting items listed in Esterbrook's "Nib-Lings" column from their monthly Penscript newsletter Unfortunately, there is little to no information on Esterbrook product itself in these newsetters. most is pretty comical stuff. The monthly "Nib-lings" column contains entries like these:

"Mickey Gray was bowling one Monday night when something flew into his ear. A whirring of wings and a tickling sensation sent Mickey into contortions. He tried water in hopes of drowning the intruder but it didn't help, so he presented himself at the Cooper Hospital where after several unsuccessful attempts to extract the object, the doctor finally came out with a fragment of a wing, then a moth almost an inch long. 'Well anyway,' Mickey bragged, 'I must have something between my ears because it didn't go in one ear and out the other.'"

Seriously, I can't make this stuff up. :ltcapd:

More to follow! If anyone else has some Penscripts, I'd love to hear from you!

Best-
Brian
www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Sponsored Content

#2 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 20:20

"Rudy Zoll's 1940 Plymouth became cantankerous one day in the midst of traffic and a downppour at 7th and Cooper Streets. Zoll helpfully held the umbrella over Jack Jenkins and Roy Winkler while they worked on his car."

#3 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 20:21

The writing is as good as the stories behind them:

"Russ Mattson, a usually elusive bachelor, presented Ruth MacDonald of Camden with a lovely diamond set in platinum. The date is set for late November."

Usually elusive? :)

#4 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 20:24

How about this one...

"Roland Bradford and Clarence Crane of the Print Shop couldn't decide the other day whose lunch was whose. Roland ate it, and Clarence took up a collection to buy his friend another lunch so he could have his for himself."

:roflmho:

#5 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2012 - 20:27

More big news in the little city...

"Anna Immendorf cleaned her attic the other day and got rid of a lot of things she didn't want, among them some discarded clothing which was put outside to be taken away on trash day. When she returned home that night, she found the old clothing, as some mischievous boys had draped it all over the telegraph pole"

#6 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,971 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2012 - 22:25

I wonder which Esties were used to pen these gems....The writers missed their calling. Posted Image
God is seldom early, never late, and always on time. ~~Larry Brown

#7 fpman

fpman

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:06

Very funny. Thanks for posting these.
Rick B.

#8 kathleen

kathleen

Simple Things Matter Most

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:41

How delightful! Please post more.

The first story reminded me of my son's experience.

Rather late one evening, while my son was away at Boy Scout camp, I received a phone call from the Scout Master. The instant I recognized the Scout Master's voice I shuddered with dread, thinking something must be terribly wrong for him to call. His first sentence was every mother's fear, "We're taking your son to the hospital, we need you to meet us there". Tremendous relief came upon hearing his next sentence, "Your son has a bug in his ear". I laughed out loud and asked what hospital they were heading to.

It seems, as my son sat at a picnic table attempting to complete a project by lantern light, a rather large insect flew into his ear. I was told, "he leaped in hysterics and screamed with every flutter of the wings. At the camp infirmary they tried drowning the insect, without success, it's removal would be left to more capable hands; relief came when the intruder was extracted by the emergency room physician. It was big, and brown, and definitely not something anyone would want in their ear.

The upside to this story is the same as stated by Mickey Gray. My son "must have something between my (his) ears because it didn't go in one ear and out the other.'"
The emergency room physician informed us, insects flying into ears on a summer evening is not an uncommon event.
My son has said, "you can't know how painful it is to have a bug's wings beating against your eardrum until it happens to you." I'll take his word for it, and pray I never know.
My son is an Eagle Scout. He is now thirty, I am very proud of him and, like all mothers, I have many stories to tell. Whenever the "Bug In the Ear" event is recalled my son scolds me. He considers that night a very low point in my parenting, "Mom, I heard you laugh when Mr. H told you I had a bug in my ear, and it wasn't funny!!"
He doesn't understand, to a mother fearing camping accidents, (such things as drowning, broken arms, legs, accidents with fire, accidents with pocket knives and hatchets, accidents with bows and arrows while earning the archery merit badge), with all the horrible accidents that could occur, a bug in the ear is good news..... I should be forgiven for laughing.

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

#9 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2012 - 13:56

"Someone playfuly introduced a rubber lizard in the Cutting Department recently with the results that several of the girls reached a new high in screams"

A rubber lizard?? :roflmho:

#10 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2012 - 13:57

"Mom, I heard you laugh when Mr. H told you I had a bug in my ear, and it wasn't funny!!"[/size][/color]
He doesn't understand, to a mother fearing camping accidents, (such things as drowning, broken arms, legs, accidents with fire, accidents with pocket knives and hatchets, accidents with bows and arrows while earning the archery merit badge), with all the horrible accidents that could occur, a bug in the ear is good news..... I should be forgiven for laughing.

He'll understand someday. :)

Actually reminds me of when I was renovating my house. Lisa called me while I was at work. She was sanding down the wood trim in the kitchen and managed to get herself a sliver. The conversation went something like this:

Lisa: ""I need you to come home. I have a sliver in my finger"
Brian: "What?" laughing...
Lisa: "No seriously. You need to come home"

Turns out it was about 2.5" long jammed up her finger. Ended up going to the emergency room for it. We still laugh about about it.

Edited by Brian Anderson, 03 January 2012 - 14:03.

#11 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2012 - 14:08

Ouch...

"Rumors have it that when Irish Pepe of Sales starts taking lessons on guitar, her husband will start looking for another apartment."

#12 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2012 - 14:43

"We understand there is sharp competition between Leola Smith and Grace Ahearn of Raising to see who has the best appetite"

Slow news day?

#13 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,971 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:32

I have chuckled and guffawed so far....I wish the author(s) could know the enjoyment they are still giving....just like the pen. Wow. Posted Image
God is seldom early, never late, and always on time. ~~Larry Brown

#14 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2012 - 13:49

"Gail Shinn overslept one rainy morning, called Bill Craig, her boss, to say she would be in a little late, then sleepily took the #5 bus instead of the #4. She landed at Haddon Avenue and the Boulevard, realized her mistake, finally switched to the proper bus which fortunately was traveling in almost the same direction, and arrived here safely after narrowly missing a trip to Philadelphia."

#15 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2012 - 15:31

"Ed Booton had a tough time one day. He overslept and had to drive his own car to work after missing his everyday rider, Bill Swope. At five o'clock, Bill picked up his passengers, Russ Wall, Catherine Davis and Ed Booton. On the way home after leaving Catherine off at her place, Bill asked Ed where his car was. Back Ed went by bus to Esterbrook's parking lot. He needed his car for that evening."

oops. :roflmho:

Cheers!
Brian

Edited by Brian Anderson, 06 January 2012 - 15:32.
typo

#16 PaFitch

PaFitch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:51

"Ed Booton had a tough time one day. He overslept and had to drive his own car to work after missing his everyday rider, Bill Swope. At five o'clock, Bill picked up his passengers, Russ Wall, Catherine Davis and Ed Booton. On the way home after leaving Catherine off at her place, Bill asked Ed where his car was. Back Ed went by bus to Esterbrook's parking lot. He needed his car for that evening."

oops. :roflmho:

Cheers!
Brian

I can identify with that (unfortunately).

#17 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2012 - 20:19

More big news in the little city...

"Anna Immendorf cleaned her attic the other day and got rid of a lot of things she didn't want, among them some discarded clothing which was put outside to be taken away on trash day. When she returned home that night, she found the old clothing, as some mischievous boys had draped it all over the telegraph pole"

Note : "draped it all over the telegraph pole". No telephone poles, back then, in Camden?

I think Brian should scan all of the Penscripts!!
Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#18 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,464 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2018 - 13:32

At the risk of reviving a dead thread, I'm curious what editions you have of Penscripts. These should be scanned and entered into archive.org. 

I myself would contribute a sum toward having this done. I know what a pain it is to do it yourself, and Brian is a busy man, but this is a major missing piece in Esterbrook history. I've been reading multiple references to this publication and would love to see some editions. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#19 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:28

At the risk of reviving a dead thread, I'm curious what editions you have of Penscripts. These should be scanned and entered into archive.org. 

I myself would contribute a sum toward having this done. I know what a pain it is to do it yourself, and Brian is a busy man, but this is a major missing piece in Esterbrook history. I've been reading multiple references to this publication and would love to see some editions. 

They might be in the PCA library (which would be a better place for them) you might check there.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Sponsored Content

|