Magnusson Oblique Pen Holder

supxor

I have serious interest in purchasing a Magnusson oblique nib holder if there is one out there for possible sale. Contact me, if you have interest in parting with one.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supxor

• Cryptos

• dhnz

• YokePenCo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know there must be one out there, especially those of you who possess two or more. Still have a strong interest in buying a Magnusson holder.

• 2 years later...

old topic, so I hope you see this. mags are very rare. I have two but most of us who do own them understaND this and plan on keeping them. keep checking ebay one will eventually come up.

Mike sacco

That said, Mike, I have the money; one of you has multiple Magnusson's, sell one to one who wants one and who wishes to script with one. Again, state your price. Leap, one of you who has more than one.

It is my understanding that they were marketed for writing, rather than placed in a picture frame from HOBBY LOBBY, MICHEAL'S or similar stores.

Sir, I am an accomplished O.P penman and do use my magnusson from time to time, but they are rare as I've said. I own other vintage holders as well which I use much more. It's all in the hunt. You will find one in time. I found my first on ebay mixed in with a lot of used unnamed holders. It was there and I knew it, and the seller did not. Awesome to find it this way. My second found me, a long staff, 5 ringer ( the most deluxe mag there is) was offered for sale to me by a sweet calligrapher who admired my writing and felt it would be fitting for me. Again, an awesome way to acquire one.

Mine is on display, actually behind glass (bit nicer case than from hobby lobby too :), but it's taken out every once in a while to give it a run. They, coupled with a vintage Principality, are an amazing experience, but you first have to know how to wield the pen. :) Most are not worthy.

Edited by msacco

It's a pen holder. It has particular shape, dimensions, balance and materials. That is all. How hard can it be to reproduce one?

As for 'most are not worthy'... that's just unfriendly. The pen surely doth not maketh the man.

THe rather condescending tone of the previous poster warranted that kind of response. He has no idea what someone does or doesn't do with any writing instrument. "Nuff said on this!!

Magnussons are very thin, the stem in particular. Hard to turn but not impossible as many modern turners can get very close. The use of ivory is also a nice touch on them, but it's more about the vintage quality. Anything can be reproduced, but there's only one original.

So, beyond being a nicely turned piece of material, or mix of materials, is there anything else that particularly distinguishes a Magnusson holder from other similar devices?

The pen surely doth not maketh the man.

It most definitely does not Cryptos.

Just a glimpse at what Louis Madras, one of the if not THE greatest Ornamental penman ever, used to write with.

http://www.zanerian.com/MadaraszObl.html

So, beyond being a nicely turned piece of material, or mix of materials, is there anything else that particularly distinguishes a Magnusson holder from other similar devices?

I am not an expert on Holders and I do know that these are greatly sought after vintage holders. The original advert for a Magnusson is viewable here

http://www.zanerian.com/Magnusson.html

There are manufacturers who replicate this style of holders though,

http://www.yokepencompany.com/products/12-25-rosewood-tulipwood-holly-lefty-classic-whiptail-oblique-holder

This is a post on this forum for the Magnusson replicas

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/220543-zanerian-fine-arts-oblique-penholder/?hl=oblique&do=findComment&comment=2333072

-Prasad

Gosh, Mr Madras' instruments look very rough, and yet he conjured magic out of them!

I have book marked the YokePen website. I don't know how they compare with Unique Obliques (for all I know they're the same people).

Anyway, something for the future. Thanks for the links.

Edit. Actually that is a bit spooky because I was looking at dip pens on eBay just before I saw your post!

Edited by Cryptos

You do have a point cryptos.

However, the Magnusson oblique pen holder is not something that is to be considered lightly.

Prasad's reference is one I can second - Yoke Pen Co. is a real pen turner alright. I recently purchased a pen from him, and he sure does know how to make a pen correctly. He often replicates designs very well, and I can confirm that... not that I am affiliated, but rather I can verify his work. I suggest you explore his site... he is a great person to communicate with.

Comparing a Magnusson holder to another holder, say, one of Mr. Yoke's penholders is arbitrary in terms of preference (though, the latter's work and techniques are researched, refined, and developed). I believe that the demand for Magnussons are largely artificial (there are also other pens that are of very similar quality too). They are also extremely rare too.

I often feel that a good instrument ought to be earned too. Rare pens, such as the Principality no. 1 are so great, even I don't feel that I deserve them. There are things that don't have a price tag on them simply because they are treasures of an era/rare/beautiful ... etc etc.

Edited by Iso*

In Ornamental Writing, the beauty of light line and shade must be harmonious.

... The best ornamental penmen write each word one letter at a time, the best they can, the same as you do.

However, the Magnusson oblique pen holder is not something that is to be considered lightly.

I'm afraid I do not quite know what this means.

I have two holders, and E+M straight and a Speedball oblique. Both are aesthetically horrible, but they hold a pen and enable me to have a go at writing. Is it so wrong to seek something that is aesthetically superior in my eyes?

They're just hard to obtain... Very hard, and many that consciously own one are generally unwilling to part with it.

Sorry if I am replying to you in an awkward manner, a bit in a hurry, but ... You will pay an astronomical sum for a Magnusson if you are intending to purchase it from someone that owns one.

Yoke Pen Co makes pretty darn good replicas of you haven't explored his website yet. The prices, if I may speak of them, are pretty fair, though in the modern oblique holder world, they are high-end pens.

In Ornamental Writing, the beauty of light line and shade must be harmonious.

... The best ornamental penmen write each word one letter at a time, the best they can, the same as you do.

This magnificent replica was made by Brian Smith (Unique Obliques) I have one of these holders and can vouch for the excellent quality.

Ken

il_570xn-596103720_eyy2.jpg?w=1000&h=

This magnificent replica was made by Brian Smith (Unique Obliques) I have one of these holders and can vouch for the excellent quality.

Ken

il_570xn-596103720_eyy2.jpg?w=1000&h=

Thank you Ken! Yes, I do make and sell an awful lot of handmade oblique holders. I appreciate you mentioning my name on here!

---and in answer to the previous posts, I am not affiliated with Yoke pens.

Maker of Custom Oblique Pen Holders

Visit me at http://uniqueobliques.etsy.com

As to all the "buzz" about authentic Magnusson pen holders, I would like to add a little. Oscar Magnusson's vintage pens are indeed rare and expensive...hard to come by. Likely one reason is that those long thin rat-tail handles were easily broken over the years, and the holders were likely disposed of when that happened. Even today, many of the holders that do make it onto the open market have a broken or damaged handle.

The "Magnusson look" (those long, thin rat-tail pen holders) were not exclusively made by Magnusson. Zanerian Fine Art Writers manufactured during that time (and Kellers, and a few others) also had that long, sleek profile, and those are also very collectible and highly prized. Also, many of this "style" appear on the market that are of "unknown" origin (not marked by any maker, and some possibly made at home by the penmen or commissioned to a woodworker by the penmen. All are beautiful work, and all are highly desirable and collectible. I have "heard" that the Zanerian Fine Art Writers, and maybe other pen holders of that era were actually outsourced to Magnusson's shop, so possibly many holders are actually made by them even though they do not bear the Magnusson name brand on the pen.

As to the comments that "why are these so valuable, couldn't they be reproduced?"...well, yes of course they can be re-produced. But the concept is the same as a "reproduction" of a piece of antique furniture. A reproduction will never be as valuable or desirable as the real thing. So that is the allure of authentic vintage Magnusson and Zanerian longtail pens. It's not so much the "shape" or the "accent rings", or even the "writing experience" they provide. These are vintage tools from the golden age of penmanship. They hearken back to an age that intrigue and delight many aspiring penmen, so they are desirable and highly collectible.

Edited by MusinkMan

Maker of Custom Oblique Pen Holders

Visit me at http://uniqueobliques.etsy.com