Pelikan 101N After 72 Years In The Grave.

Dexter FOP

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dexter FOP

• zubipen

• aeinstein

• Dickkooty2

Truly fascinating. Thank you for sharing!

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

I appreciate the meticulous work you did in the pen restoration.

I appreciate as well shedding light on a battle little or unknown here in the US.

Thank you for you efforts.

I gather that the Polish pen site linked in your posts requires registration, though Google translate is not working this morning.

I would be interested in information regarding vintage Polish pens. The only brand I've heard of is Kawuska, but I have found only very limited information here in the West.

Best wishes,

gary

Very enjoyable. Thank you for that. It's a shame we so rarely get to see restoration work on pens with a known history.

Graf von Faber-Castell | Conway Stewart | Pelikan | Romain Jerome | ST Dupont | Parker | De La Rue | Wahl-Eversharp | Mabie Todd | Sheaffer | Cross | Montegrappa | Summit | Pilot | Lamy

All this is amazing!!

Amazing story, amazing pen and amazing owner! :)

Greetings from Vilnius (Wilna), in a country that suffered from a not dissimilar history of occupation and invasion.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow... that was really amazing work and an even more amazing story. It must have been an honor to restore that pen!

One question though:

Seweryn Biegański, who was the last to leave the shelter, describes the moment;

"The captain looked at me warmly and softly urged me to leave. When I was at the exit, I was hit on my back with strong gust and I heard an explosion."

Raginis then decided to end the resistance and committed suicide by throwing himself on a grenade.

Does that mean the pen was also damaged in the explosion? Or was it buried with him later? Either way, still an incredible story. Thanks for sharing! :)

Edited by danahn17

[url="http://i-think-ink.tumblr.com/"]thINK[/url]: my pen & paper blog :)

Wow! An amazing story, and restoration!

Congrats!

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

I cannot help but to leave words: this is the most stunning pen story I ever heard of. Salute to Captain Raginis and your restoration work.

Wow... that was really amazing work and an even more amazing story. It must have been an honor to restore that pen!

One question though:

Seweryn Biegański, who was the last to leave the shelter, describes the moment;

"The captain looked at me warmly and softly urged me to leave. When I was at the exit, I was hit on my back with strong gust and I heard an explosion."

Raginis then decided to end the resistance and committed suicide by throwing himself on a grenade.

Does that mean the pen was also damaged in the explosion? Or was it buried with him later? Either way, still an incredible story. Thanks for sharing! :)

Unfortunately, we do not know how the pen has been damaged. This probably occurred during the transfer of corpses after a battle.

It is certain that it is not damaged by a grenade.

German commanders are not allowed to bury dead for several days.

Someone probably tried to unscrew the pen and broke it.

Damaged, put into uniform pocket captain.

An amazing pen, an amazing restoration, and an amazing account - but I hope you'll forgive me for saying the pen's owner was more amazing than all the rest put together. I had never heard of Captain Raginis before, or the Battle of Wizna, before, but now that I know about him, I am shocked no one has ever made a movie of his life.

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

• 2 weeks later...

Having just read the story of Captain Władysław in this post I feel strangely humbled and ashamed. I hope I'll remember this corageous man the next time I feel ready to moan about losing a job because I've been undercut by a Polish decorator or builder.

Have there been any books written about him because it would make a welcome addition to my little library.