कलम और स्याही

inkstruck

The Delhi/NCR FP scenario

The Pen scene in Delhi is very much governed by ballpoints and gel pens.Seldom will you come across somebody asking for a fountain pen over the counter .School FP's are popular only among a certain age group .Rest don't have time to understand or acknowledge any writing instrument.They just write because they cannot avoid it.Given a chance they will throw away every single piece of ink stuff that they possess.Its more of a necessity rather than appreciation.You might beg to differ but that's the way i see it in Delhi.

I had tried my luck on JustDial ( online directory-all purpose) without any success.I had entered all sorts of combination on Google and searched page after page to give me that one hint of that hole in the wall selling vintage pens out here.I did come across gift centres like "Diplomat's Gallery " in Malviya Nagar and " Luxury gifts by Nikki" in District Center Janakpuri, however,they elite customers who don't even wink once before giving up to their exorbitantly priced vintage collection.For a person like me it like aiming for the moon being a dwarf. (I am personally not interested in these two shops as they solely don't deal with FP's and they know the way to pose as a shrude buisness which i hate to the core).

And then this one night i came across a post on Fountain Pen Network stating a pen repair shop in nehru Place called "Pen Corner".

The Wilson Parker Juniour Repro

I bought this pen from Pen Corner .Well its a beauty as you can see.A lever filler and as per the old man at the shop this is from the 60's .Wow!!

The condition is as good as new as you can see by the pictures uploaded.The pen had a sac problem.I got that fixed myself and probably forgoing a night's sleep was worth it.

This pen writes like a beauty.

Wilson copied almost everything that Parker Juniur was all about.The band clip has got Wilson written in upper case as was Parker.Even the cap band design has been copied .The design is however of a green lizard or snake skin which makes it stand out of the crowd.

The lever works like a beauty after restoration.

The Wilson Juniour repro capped

post-79783-0-68988300-1325092617.jpg

post-79783-0-02792900-1325092626.jpg

Wilson Juniour posted

post-79783-0-32440200-1325092631.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstruck

• rahulg

• sajiskumar

• mehandiratta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice find! Congrats. I'm sure some of the many in our group from India will chime in and discuss other pen shops in your area.

Edited by pakmanpony

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

nice post.

For those who cannot read the Devnagari script in the title, it says"kalam aur syahi" which translates to "pen and ink"

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Nice find! Congrats. I'm sure some of the many in our group from India will chime in and discuss other pen shops in your area.

Thanks pakmanpony

NR Pen Stores:

Well thanks to rahulg (FPN member) i got to visit this hole in the wall in Connaught place.Ironically i have passed by this shop many times its just that ,never did i care to look as to what is behind that glass case .An old man greeted me (Mr Makhichandani).His son Neeraj was his helping hand and the knowledge of fountain pens they shared with me was worth the visit .The old man showed me his collection and mouthwatering it was.Iasked for ebonites and he took out two MISAK fountain pens (ebonite pens that were once manufatured in Hyderabad).The Misak's were in mint condition.Then two other Indian beauties a Doric Student and Leader (The brand of Brahman pens). i have uploaded the pics of the FP's that i procured from there.

He had a CONKLIN Crescent Filler for sale.The pen is new with all patent info engraved on it.i Guess the year was 1918.He has listed it for Rs 12000 which is around $240.00.Would have burned a hole in my pocket.I chose to forgo the beauty for now.

i have also uploaded a pic of their visiting card .

The first lot of pens from NR Pen Stores:

from the left

1:A Sheaffer No Nonsense

2:A Doric student

3:A Sheaffer(dunno the name of this model..could somebody help me to ID it)

4:A Sheaffer Imperial Touchdown

5:A Mabie Todd-Swan India (lever filler)

post-79783-0-54201800-1325095187.jpg

The second lot of pens from NR Pen Stores:

from the left :

1:A Parker 21

2:A Wilson Eyedropper

3:A Parker Falcon

4:A Wilson 81( Parker 61 repro)

5:A Sheaffer Lady

post-79783-0-52075700-1325095307.jpg

For all who likes pen-hunt

post-79783-0-99001200-1325095365.jpg

Regards and thanks for watching :thumbup:

inkstruck

Wish you FPN members a very happy new year ahead...

My new year resolution :

starts with acquiring a Conklin Crescent filler and a Conway stewart

...hope you guys have fun... :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

well, those pens are really nice, especially i love the sheaffer that you have bought. fps have become a rarity nowadays and your observations are correct and shared by many of us here.

you have got a lot of pens in a short while, my.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

Thanks to all your responses...my team member recently visited kolkata..he has got a parker duofold juniourette ,and two sheaffer lifetime balances (one is an oversize ) for me...will post the vintage delight soon..

regards

Inkstruck :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

Hi all FP members,

Its been a while that i have not posted my collection .Been really busy with work lately.

Tonite will be posting a lot of the ink beauties i have procured all these months whenever i got time.

Regards

inkstruck

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Parker Duofold Juniour

post-79783-0-90710000-1342806034.jpg

What can i say about this beauty .I mean when i looked at it underneath the dusty glass of the much talked of Pen Hospital Kolkata my eyes had that gleam that Jack Sparrow sported on acquiring the Black Pearl once again.This was a dream come true.After a lot of search finally i had that one pen i dreamt to own.A PARKER DUOFOLD JUNIOUR .As you can see from the pic its a near pint condition .Equipped with a 14K gold nib it makes a fine writer.Started off a bit scratchy coz of years of non usage .The ink flow took time to do its magic.The button filler as the duofolds were so famous works like a dream.Two clicks in an ink bottle and voila !feast your eyes.There was a time when i used to just gaze at this beauty on several vintage pen forums .Now i own it.It is just so beautiful .Next stop is a Parker Duofold Senior .The good man at the Pen Hospital Kolkata did promise to get me one this week when i visit Kolkata ,and now i just can't wait.

As i said Voila !Feast your eyes

Hello All,

Traveling in northern India at the moment and just wanted to share a store I found which may be of interest to you all. This afternoon, my wife and I met a guy with some very nice English 51s and a few US 51s, among quite a few other pens, mostly Montblanc, Sheaffer, & Pelikan. The UK 51s were a good price. There are a dozen or so more in his shop, plus some nice 51 pencils. He is a very friendly guy.

His name is Harmeet Singh and he's at #2 Tibetan Market, Janpath, New Delhi 110001 INDIA

I bought a nice 40 year old MB 149 from him.

He's interested in meeting other pen collectors.

Enjoy,

Barry

Won't want to take the credit away from Barry ,a fellow FPN member ...I found his post in the Parker Forum .another addition to the Delhi/NCR shops where you could just hop in to treat your eyes..will go visiting next week

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a part of my haul from Pen hospital Kolkata..Personally i feelreal proud to own these beauties.

From Left :- A Vac Juniour,A Parker Challenger,A Wearever,A Duofold Senior ,A carmine striated Sheaffer 33

The juniour gave me a lot of trouble.The day i reached kolkata i procure a blue azul vac from pen Hospital.The pen was in a mint condition but turned out to have a faulty vac mech.It would not pump in the requisite amount.I had to come back again to the shop and the good man changed it to this one.This one works like a beauty.I got the vac for INR 3000 (approx 60USD).The Wearever ,Parker Challenger and the Sheaffer 33 for INR2500 (approx 50usd) .Last but not the least the dufold senior for INR5000(approx 100 USD) .The Duofold senior has a bit of a brassing on its clip and the cap ring but the pen as such is near mint.Wonderful writer it makes.

I just need to get my hands on a Marine marbled Sheaffer balance oversize..thats the pen i need ..any suggestions where and how...ebay seems to be a real costly deal...at times.

post-79783-0-33748100-1344758560.jpg

Hope you all like them beauties.

Regards

Inkstruck :)

Edited by inkstruck

Oh wow. This is a great haul indeed! :notworthy1: I see you've been badly bitten by the bug.

Congratulations! I remember seeing the striated Sheaffer on my last visit, it's a lovely, vibrant colour, if I remember correctly.

Hope you enjoy your pens thoroughly. I'm sure you've made Ahmed a very happy man. :thumbup:

Best regards,

Rahul

http://oi44.tinypic.com/30vg3eo.jpg

Follow at @rg1283 and http://bluecabbage.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

Well.....how are you all fellow FPN members...its been a while i had gone pen hunting..actually its been just a mnth (lol)..i had promised myself that i won't buy any more pens until i get my budget straight..but this post will stare right at my face after i am done with it and say " you have failed"..well i kinda like it..this way.

Anyways cut a long story short..this post is regarding the PArker Vacumatics that i procured at Vandana Book Shop..I had talked about this shop earlier in my post at Delhi/NCR FPN scenario.The old man in the shop knows a lot about vintage pens..and i happened to just refer to our old conversation about the Parker 51 he had for sale..I must say since i have got back from Kolkata i have been struck by this bug caled Parker Vacumatic.i happened to ask him...if he had any..Seems my luck was favouring me .He said he could procure a few for me and called me the day after.

Well its a wonderful book shop ...my book mania accompanied me along with my Vac addiction.i have posted the pictures for the Vacs i procured.They all came for INR3000 .

For all fello FPN members in Delhi or planning to visit Delhi ...yet another ink den to cure the addiction:

Vandana Book Shop

Mr Moti nankani

21 Aurobindo Place,Adjoining Church

Hauz Khas New Delhi:-011 26514975

Further , you need to state your need to him,,he will procure the pens for you.

I happened to procure a golden pearl ,an azure blue ,an emerald pearl..all plastic vac filler , a little over 5 1/2 inches so i am guessing they are maxima's

Regards

inkstruck...

post-79783-0-96954600-1346611907.jpg

here are the vacs

from left :

azure blue pearl

golden pearl

burgundy pearl

burgundy pearl

horizontal

2 emerald pearls

hope you like that

Hi there ,

quite a fruitful Thursday afternoon..Old delhi finally unfolded its true vintage spirit to me.Amidst the meandering alleys ...patli gali as they call it where barely one man can pass at once is a in house operation called Repair Pen.The owner ,Vinod Agrawal.

Just like that i typed in Pen Repair shops on Just Dial the other day .A new name popped up next to Pen Corner Nehru Place.A very straightforward name " Repair Pen".I called the guy up and to check his knowledge stated asking questions around sheaffer snorkel repair .The man seemed to have an immense knowledge and soon i was conversing in the vintage pen lingo with him.The Vacumatic bug that has bitten me badly forced me to ask him about the whereabouts of a few .A he quitely asked "how many do you want and which colour".I dunno you would beleive it or not..i really did jump with joy .

So i fixed an appoinment and ended up in Chawri Bazaar.Too congested for any car to make its way peacefully ,i preferred to be on foot.He met me at Chaurasi Ghante ki Mandir (Temple of 84 bells) near Hauz Kaazi Chowk.Then the journey to his in house operation was frankly a bit surprising.The alleys kept getting narrow and then all of a sudden we were at his doorsteps.

Now , Mr Vinod Aggrawal runs the repair shop at his house.What i came to know from him was surprsising.All the vintage pen shops earlier mentioned in this topic gets their pen repaired from him.He even showed me a Mont Blanc that had arrived from Vandan Book Shop for a barrel replacement.Had a wonderful time exchanging thoughts about Vacumatic history with him.I procured two 3rd gen Emeral Pearl from him at INR 3000 each.There was a shadow wave with a metal speedline filler which he priced around INR8000.Mouth watering treat it was.I booked it for myself and had a plan to set the payment in two installments (budget ...sadly though).He gifted a customized wooden fountain pen box to me which i gladly accepted.On being asked about his own collection..Vinod said that he keeps it all in a bank locker.(thats quite a fortune for sure)

I promised to get his name over to all avid fountain pen lovers across the world and here we are at yet another ink den in delhi..just this time the entry to the place itself resembled a den.

Mr Vinod Agrawal

post-79783-0-92901500-1347042929.jpg

The Parker Vac Shadow Wave i have booked

post-79783-0-66977900-1347043210.jpg

A collection of Vacs

post-79783-0-17425700-1347043230.jpg