Cigar Box Pen Storage Case

bobioden

Hi guys

I looked every where for a wooden cigar box without any luck, people down my way obviously are not big cigar smokers laugh.gif

Anyway I went to Riot, my local art and craft shop and I got a pine box with hinged lid and a catch on the front for $6. It looks about the same size as Lauras Torano box.

I am well on the way to making my pen box, will post a photo once its complete.

Dawn

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joep01

• sonia_simone

• fatehbajwa

• bobioden

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This has turned out to be a "just in time" thread for me, as I was just looking at my meager collection in it's zip-up pen case. I've decided that the zipper is positioned perfectly to scratch the pens as they are pulled from their positions. Then I found an article on Richard's site about re-tasking cigar boxes, and now this thread.

Wow. The how to pix are great!! This is why sites like this are fantastic. I never would have thought about a cigar box.

Off to the local cigar shop. Luckily there are two in town, neither does much business so maybe I can get them to part with a box.

Those of you who've made your own, you might consider submitting your work for publication to a magazine such as Make or Craft. I bet they'd eat this up.

Bob

I was able to find a smoke shop selling it's empty boxes for $1, with proceeds going toward a charity. So I'm on my way.

One Question for those of you who've built their own:

Did your boxes have odors from the former inhabitants and, if so, did they dissipate after awhile?

Were you concerned about any of the chemicals from the cigars coming into contact with the pens? I don't know whether cigars sit in the boxes in wrappers or naked.

Just wondering if there are any possible detrimental effects of keeping pens in cigar boxes.

Bob

QUOTE (Spongebob @ Mar 1 2007, 05:11 PM)
I was able to find a smoke shop selling it's empty boxes for $1, with proceeds going toward a charity. So I'm on my way.

One Question for those of you who've built their own:

Did your boxes have odors from the former inhabitants and, if so, did they dissipate after awhile?

Were you concerned about any of the chemicals from the cigars coming into contact with the pens?  I don't know whether cigars sit in the boxes in wrappers or naked.

Just wondering if there are any possible detrimental effects of keeping pens in  cigar boxes.

Bob

First off, I can't believe all the responses this thread has generated. When I first posted it, I was thinking if I can help someone else built a cool Pen Case than I have done my part. Seeing all the cool boxes and the cases that have been made is wonderful. I am glad that you all are enjoying your cases as I am mine.

In response to you question. The cigar case I used was a very old one. There was no smell whatsoever, so am not sure how the newer cigar cases smell, or if the smell lingers.

Great cases everyone. It's nice to put to use a case that was just sitting around collecting dust.

cool.gif

Bob

Edited by bobioden

My cigar boxes (La Gloria Cubana Hermoso) have no smell. I'm not the cigar smoker in the family, but I think they might be individually wrapped in plastic within the box.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

You guys are lucky! The only local shop I have sells the empties for $5 each. dry.gif

In the cigar boxes I have I've either used a scrap of blotter paper spritzed with perfume or a couple of peppermint tea bags to take the smell out. I suppose Febreze might work, but I haven't tried it.

smile.gif

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

I would be interested to know if the pen trays from gopens are available to buy from anywhere in the U.K. would be ideal for the cabinet i've recently procured ph34r.gif

PARKER 51 RULES

nice work. i really like the way you modded that box to hold two layers. the box itself is nice too.

i was at the local tobacconist picking up some cigars and noticed they had cigar boxes on sale for $4 a piece with a good variety of styles. i picked up one about the same size as the one you modded and another which is shorter all around and taller. the reason for my buying both of them was for the cigar holder trays that were already in the boxes. the larger flatter one has a nicer tray in it which has 10 slots that fit my pens nicely and its made of birdseye maple. since i dont have 10 fountain pens yet, it also holds my cigars nicely as well. biggrin.gif

the other i think ill clean up and use for something else. i think i may go buy a couple more.

Edited by Latro21

-Nick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was looking for a place to keep all my spare Esterbrook Renew Points and a way to organize them based on size and tipping material. I bought a really shallow cigar box (Thanks coolpenz!) and made a 5x5 divider grid for it. It works perfectly! Right now my dividers are simply made out of thin card board, but since the design works so well, I want to upgrade to wood dividers in the future if I ever get a lot of free time. :)

post-2459-1177453703_thumb.jpg

post-2459-1177453711_thumb.jpg

(sorry the photo is a little blurry!)

--Stephen

Nicely done and great graphics on the box!

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

I found a local cigar shop that sells their empty boxes cheap. ($2each)

I picked up some and also go by there frequently so if anyone wants some let me know and we can work something out.

I'd love to work some trades for the insert trays.

<a href="http://www.findingruth.blogspot.com" target="_blank">

Our Adoption Blog!

</a>

Well, now you've gone and done it. Another cool task for me to take on. I have several very nice wooden cigar boxes that will now be converted to storage boxes....I see potential for storing other items as well. Aside from the obvious, cigars :rolleyes: I think I will try to build one for pocket watches as well. Thanks so much for sharing a great idea. There is just no negative here...sorry gotta go buy some more cigars!!!

Craig

• 9 months later...

I have an old cigar box lying around. Now all I need are the pen trays!

And to think I've just been storing my pens in empty glasses.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the great inspiration!

The College I teach with has a program for knowledge exchange with a university in Cuba. We go there for a few weeks, teach some of their professors a specific topic, then one or two of them come back to Canada with us to work on that topic here with us. I don't smoke cigars, so I have never bothered to keep any of the cigar paraphernalia I brought back when I returned, but a co-worker of mine had an old Cohiba box left over from one of our work trips to Cuba that he donated to my obsession. :embarrassed_smile:

I only own a handful of fountain pens, so I have some ideas in mind that include holding pens AND some spare nibs and accessories... Now I will start shopping for the rest of the materials. Hopefully I will finish in a reasonable amount of time and share the pictures! :happyberet:

Chris

---

Don't take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway!

• 2 months later...

Where can I buy empty cigar boxes online?

I need them to be shipped to India................that's a big no no with all websites I have seen till now.

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom - George S Patton

Follow me on Twitter

I need them to be shipped to India................that's a big no no with all websites I have seen till now.

Anybody know someplace?

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom - George S Patton

Follow me on Twitter

I would expect you would find something of similar size locally a lot easier, don't you think?

I have a jewelry box that would make a good case.

http://www.dragonseptarts.com/images/favicon.gif Dragonsept Arts and Publishing - Free and open culture

My Public Key: F1BC60E6

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." — Rudyard Kipling

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." — George Orwell

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know someplace?

Maybe this is a stupid question, but is there no eBay affiliate in India? Or is no one willing to ship there? Empty wooden cigar boxes are all over eBay, it's just a matter of finding one you like. I got two today, one of which I paid a premium for because the box just screamed, "BUY ME! I WILL KEEP YOUR PENS IN LUXURY!" ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=170233355167

And this one, because I thought it was neat looking and would make a good back up if I didn't win the first one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=200235606722