The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc Writer's Edition Carlo Collodi M Nib

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rubicon

Rubicon

Master of the Universe

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:41

First Impression: 9/10

The packaging, as usual, is great and suits the theme well (I bought it from a boutique so I knew exactly what it would look like). However, my first impression of the Collodi isn’t “I MUST HAVE THIS PEN”. It was more along the lines of: Nice one. NEXT. I think it impressed my mom more, because she persuaded me to buy this pen when I was much more taken with the Gaius Maecenas. In my opinion, it is not a pen that impresses easily at first glance. Its champagne-gold color is not flashy, and the skeleton design, while elaborate and not plain old “patterned”, does not reflect light very well, causing it to be “understated” despite its cap.

Appearance: 10/10

The appearance, however, grows on you more and more like many conventionally “boring” designs. The reason the designs become “boring” and “conventional” is because they always look good, regardless of the current trend. In this respect, the Collodi reflects this sentiment, but it breaks the mold by juxtaposing luxury and simplicity. As we can see, the champagne-gold adornments are set right next to a rather plain, shiny black “precious resin” barrel, in a perfect blend of beauty and simplicity. It may be idiosyncratic, but I’m not particularly taken with very elaborate and BLING designs. And for once in a million years, the WE actually has explicit allusions to the writer himself! OMG!

On the cap, four characters from the tale itself are depicted: Pinocchio, the butterfly, the cricket and the whale. The cricket is also beautifully engraved on the nib, which is a joy to behold.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Design/Size/Weight: 10/10

I’m rather lenient with this aspect of fountain pens. I can adjust well to variety of weights. Unposted, the balance is great and it has a nice and “weighty” feel, but not to the point of tiring the writer out. I can see myself writing a lot with this. I had this suspicion, and the lady in the boutique agreed that this pen was not designed to be posted. Of course, you can, but you might end up with some scratches on the barrel, and it would be heavy towards the back. For those who insist on posting their pens, this could be problem but as far as I’m concerned, I’m not concerned. It’s not “large”, roughly the same length as my Lamy Al-Star, capped or uncapped. The grip section is on the thick side which means your fingers won’t be touching each other, but I find it comfortable.

Nib: 9/10

The medium nib made of 18k gold sets a nice, generous and wet line with minimal pressure. It’s reliable and starts on the go. However, as with most modern pens, it’s rather stiff and its smoothness, again, can’t rival my Lamy 2000 which is quite a shame, but I have never found a pen that seriously challenges the L2k in this respect. I like more flexibility to my nib, but because I can’t be bothered to inquire into vintage pens, this will have to do. When I bought this pen, it only came in F, M or B nibs. I think there could be BB, OB or OBB nibs, but WEs tend not to have a very good selection.

Filling System: 10/10

The piston filling system is quite hidden, much like the L2k (I can’t resist comparing them...). It is invisible until you fill it, but the action itself is very very smooth. Like the L2k, it’s slightly counter-intuitive because of its built-in design. Twisting upward ejects the ink, while twisting it back down takes ink in. It doesn’t leak, and I’m not entirely sure how much ink it holds (because I can’t see it) but I have had it for a while and need to refill it less than I do my MB Kafka (sorry if I can’t say much more than this).

Posted Image

Cost and Value: 8/10

I’m tempted to say: It’s MB; let’s not speak of value.

But I have to say, for such an exquisite limited edition, the $1100 I paid for it is more than reasonable. This is subjective, of course, and I have strong opinions about some more popular WEs that cost more, but utilize repeated patterns (which I aesthetically disagree with, considering it’s a limited edition. I can’t fathom how these patterns relate to the writer themselves. You might as well market them as regular collection pens if that’s what you’re going to celebrate a writer with). The price is still, however, on the steep side considering it’s only made of “precious resin” and “gold-plated”. I bought this pen at retail price.

Conclusion: 9/10

As with most pricey limited edition pens, this is a hit or miss. It’s definitely not a must-have in the way that workhorses are. Its design isn’t the dearest to my heart even if it expresses my personality well and the nib isn’t anything mind-blowing, but I do not regret this purchase and it’s a perfect pen in every aspect in that it performs as a good, solid workhorse fountain pen is supposed to without any clunky behavior (it CAN be a workhorse and I plan to use it pretty regularly, but I don’t want to take it out on excursions or anything like that. It’s still a MB WE in the end...) and it’s superb in terms of balance (with respect to modern nibs, of course). It keeps the fingerprints off and the champagne tinted color is a nice change from other fountain pen designs. You can take it or leave it, but personally, I’ll take it and can definitely recommend it.

Sorry about the photos. I use yer cheap camera phone.

Edited by Rubicon, 26 December 2011 - 09:15.

Sponsored Content

#2 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:12

Nice informative review. I wanted not to like this pen, but I find it quite compelling...must resist! Enjoy.

#3 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:21

Aesthetically, it is a pleasing pen but nibwise I don't have the same sensations than I have when I write with my vintage 149s and 146s
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#4 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:33

nice review
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#5 Rubicon

Rubicon

Master of the Universe

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2011 - 14:48

Aesthetically, it is a pleasing pen but nibwise I don't have the same sensations than I have when I write with my vintage 149s and 146s

Personally, I don't think making a good writer was the priority for MB when it came to limited editions. They're more "bling" and "prestige" than anything. I think it's a solid writer, but it wouldn't make anyone's favorite writer. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't even write better than my Lamy 2000, but I might be overly critical.

#6 amirjsiNEO

amirjsiNEO

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2012 - 20:44

Nice informative review. I wanted not to like this pen, but I find it quite compelling...must resist! Enjoy.

I know what you mean! When I first saw it, I thought, "That's something to pass over." But when I saw it live, I began to retract that earlier sentiment. Right now I'm considering a VERY tempting offer to buy it. It would seem the Montblanc boutique manager here knows my weakness for these bad boys, and is willing to keep me coming back again, and again, and again, and again! :headsmack:

#7 Toolattack

Toolattack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2012 - 16:54

Nice review on a pen I'm warming to.
This pen looks better every time I see it.

#8 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:16

Resistance is futile as the classic Borg saying goes. :)
I cracked like a soft shell egg when I saw this pen and ended up buying one new. I admit I feel I am so easy......when it comes to the MB pens.
My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#9 Sidestreaker

Sidestreaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:54

It doesn't strike me as one of the pen I must have, but it does grow into me. I've handed it before and though it does look rather ornate, but this is one pen that is made for writing. The resin body and the long piston knob may not made to be posting, but it has the length and a lighter weight feel compared to other heavier pens.
My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

Posted Image

#10 bbx

bbx

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2012 - 22:57

It looks Italian, very nice looking pen but not something I could see myself writing with everday.

#11 cliffp

cliffp

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:36

I took delivery of one of these a week ago. I have not yet used it regularly because I haven't yet obtained a suitable pen case (I don't want to wear out the book box it came with). When I get a case for it I hope to use it regularly as it is such a delightful object to handle and look at. I find it an excellent writer both in terms of its ergonomics and the performance of the nib (medium in my case). I wrote a letter with it the other day and was loath to stop writing with it.

#12 skibunny

skibunny

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 15:14

Hi All

I was testing out some macro shots on my Collodi... wanted to share then with you. I am just a beginner at macro shots...please pardon me if you think the pics are not doing justice to the pen.

fpn_1401548217__colodi01.jpg

fpn_1401548179__colodi02.jpg

fpn_1401548240__colodi03.jpg

fpn_1401548255__colodi04.jpg

fpn_1401548290__colodi05.jpg

#13 orfew

orfew

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,242 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2014 - 16:11

Hi All

I was testing out some macro shots on my Collodi... wanted to share then with you. I am just a beginner at macro shots...please pardon me if you think the pics are not doing justice to the pen.

fpn_1401548217__colodi01.jpg

fpn_1401548179__colodi02.jpg

fpn_1401548240__colodi03.jpg

fpn_1401548255__colodi04.jpg

fpn_1401548290__colodi05.jpg

Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

#14 rubyeyespenlover

rubyeyespenlover

Romantic pens lover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2014 - 13:55

I hate Pinocchio, he's in my nightmares since I was 6!

Posted Image
69 th D a n i t r i o F e l l o w s h i p p e r - Montblanc WE Lover - NAMIKI addicted
http://www.pennamagazine.com

#15 Pickwick

Pickwick

Pickwick

• Member - Gold

• 1,931 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 14:12

I hate Pinocchio, he's in my nightmares since I was 6!

There is no doubt you've been very, very good, so far, in your life!

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Sponsored Content

|