Going To Actually Do It!

watch_art

Thanks everybody. My biggest problem now is picking a lathe I can afford while still being able to get the accessories.

I'm thinking wood lathe and a die holder for cutting threads - unless anybody thinks that would be daft of me.

If I go wood lathe I'm thinking the Jet with variable speed - but do I really need a variable speed knob? I could go cheaper and get one w/o VS.

Any suggestions? I know the Jet and Delta are highly recommended.

If I go metal lathe - any suggestions?

I'm really feeling kind of lost right now in regards to what to pick.

Ugh...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• Brian C

• Easterner

• hari317

Thanks everybody. My biggest problem now is picking a lathe I can afford while still being able to get the accessories.

I'm thinking wood lathe and a die holder for cutting threads - unless anybody thinks that would be daft of me.

If I go wood lathe I'm thinking the Jet with variable speed - but do I really need a variable speed knob? I could go cheaper and get one w/o VS.

Any suggestions? I know the Jet and Delta are highly recommended.

If I go metal lathe - any suggestions?

I'm really feeling kind of lost right now in regards to what to pick.

Ugh...

No, you don't NEED a variable speed but I have a Delta 46-460 variable speed that replaced my old lathe. I got really tired of changing the belt on the old lathe. Some people with more patience than me do not have a problem but I would not have a lathe without variable speed.

As far as a wood versus a metal lathe, I think that a new metal lathe with accessories costs more than an equivalent wood lathe set-up. And very many nice pens are still being made with a wood lathe. Although I am no expert with either lathe, it seems to me that I can make complex cuts faster on my wood lathe.

Edited by Easterner

I wish you good luck and that you will be patiently.

I'm doing it a lttle bit different!

I have no experience with turning so I'll do the modells with CATIA and let them CNC machined.

Nibs I'll purchase from Schmidt Technology, because I get the converters also from them.

But you should make some thoughts about the clips.

Good Luck

Sascha

I'm a wood lathe user so obviously biased. As for that, definitely need to be able top vary the speed. Need faster for turning, slower for drilling and sanding/polishing, and somewhere in between for turning really melty plastics.

Ken

Good luck with your new adventure! You should photo document your first pen! I will take a look at the classifides shortly!

Welcome to the nut house. I use a Rikon I picked up at Woodcraft with the variable speed control. I agree it is very useful to keep from changing belts. Ask alot of questions I probably cant answer them but probably didn't know I needed the answer before you asked it either.

Phil

No Matter Where You Go There You Are.

Proverbs 16:3

www.philspenstudio.weebly.com

Hey! Sorry I have been out of touch. Life and all.

This is HUGE! Good for you.

Hope to stay in better contact with you in the coming year!

Cheers!

Michael

Shawn,

What exciting news! I am thrilled to hear you're going to jump into the wonderful world of turning! :thumbup: I can hardly wait to see you apply your creative talents this way, and I can't wait to see the fruits of your labours. Very best of luck and much success!

All the Best,

Gem

Thanks everybody!

Well - it finally showed up!

gallery_41188_3_125799.jpg

Now I've just go to wait for some of the accessories to show up in the mail. I just sold my last two pens - waiting for the money to clear paypal to my bank account - and I'll order the rest of the bits I need. Hopefully some blanks and nibs and stuff, too.

I've gotta practice just turning - then shaping - drilling - tapping and cutting threads. Oh boy. Lots to do.

Congratulations on your new lathe. You picked a very good one and I am not saying that just because

that is the one I have. :lol:

If you don't already know, I'd suggest that you head on over to the IAP website: http://www.penturners.org/

Check out the tutorials. Ask questions. Most people there are almost as friendly as the people here.

Good luck and have a Happy New Year!

Oh I've been on IAP forums for a while now. A good week or so at least. :lol:

I've read a LOT and saved a lot of tutorials and watched lots of videos. All I have to do now is get the materials and tools in hand and start.

Is that the lathe from your dad or did you buy one? Is it variable speed?

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I bought this. The one my dad has isn't the best for this type of work. I talked to some guys over at IAP and they said that the old craftsman wouldn't be the best. So I sold all my pens here and now I have it! :bunny01:

Thanks everybody!

I've gotta practice just turning - then shaping - drilling - tapping and cutting threads. Oh boy. Lots to do.

Congratulations! Have you installed it already?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

If you've been on IAP for a week, you must have heard that your tools should be SHARP! Dull tools have been the downfall of many a wood turner. Learning how to put a good edge on your tools is a whole nother thing.

Unless, of course, you use those new-fangled carbide thingies.

Thanks everybody!

Now I've just go to wait for some of the accessories to show up in the mail. I just sold my last two pens - waiting for the money to clear paypal to my bank account - and I'll order the rest of the bits I need. Hopefully some blanks and nibs and stuff, too.

Ha! I wouldn't even know how to turn that thing on and Heaven help me if I did...i'd hurt myself. Good luck. Have fun with it (we all know you will).

Here's my first attempts. So from watching all the videos and reading all the tutorials and advice given here on the forums, I did this.

First I took a dowel rod and turned a pen shaped thing.

gallery_41188_3_47150.jpg

gallery_41188_3_173225.jpg

Next one was a jacked up board and I practiced rounding a square. Time consuming - but not too difficult. My tool caught a couple times and kind of jerked back.

gallery_41188_3_9202.jpg

And the tools. These suckas are DULL. At least compared to my smaller block carving tools they are. I'm gonna have to work on these quite a bit. The skew is useless but the two gouges are okay.

Old Craftsman Professionals. I guess about 18" long. Very comfortable to hold. Just need em sharp.

gallery_41188_3_36084.jpg

Edited by watch_art