Going To Actually Do It!

watch_art

Okay - I'm doing it. I just listed 11 of my fountain pens for sale so I can start funding my crazy little idea.

Whew I'm nervous. I'm going to miss some of those pens - but in the end I'll be making my own. Hopefully...

Really hoping I can get this old wood lathe from my dad and that it will be worth a darn. Will talk to him about it tomorrow during our holiday visit. Will take the van in case I can grab it then and there. :D

Now I just need to start getting a list of all the tools and parts I'll need to turn some kitless pens. Yes kitless. I don't want to mess with kit pens at all. I'll probably start off practicing on wood for shaping and stuff - and when I get good at that I'll use platics and practice threading and all that.

I'll need taps and dies for Meisternib units, cap to barrel and section to barrel, chisels and skews (which ones???), and.... ??? chucks? collets? I have no idea.

Wish me luck selling those pens.

Edited by watch_art

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• Brian C

• Easterner

• hari317

Okay - I'm doing it. I just listed 11 of my fountain pens for sale so I can start funding my crazy little idea.

Whew I'm nervous. I'm going to miss some of those pens - but in the end I'll be making my own. Hopefully...

Really hoping I can get this old wood lathe from my dad and that it will be worth a darn. Will talk to him about it tomorrow during our holiday visit. Will take the van in case I can grab it then and there. :D

Now I just need to start getting a list of all the tools and parts I'll need to turn some kitless pens. Yes kitless. I don't want to mess with kit pens at all. I'll probably start off practicing on wood for shaping and stuff - and when I get good at that I'll use platics and practice threading and all that.

I'll need taps and dies for Meisternib units, cap to barrel and section to barrel, chisels and skews (which ones???), and.... ??? chucks? collets? I have no idea.

I wish you more luck with your pen making venture and hope it proves to be a success.

Keep us posted wont you.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Superb idea, especially if you have the space to set up your equipment. I have been thinking of this for a long time. Good luck with the sales, hope to see your creations soon.

Explore the possibility of using chasers for making your cap and barrel threads.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks!

Chasers huh?

And lucky me I do have the space to put the equipment.

For the most part I'll be making pens for me - since I'm a freak about pens - but I hope to sell a few here and there to try to recoup some of the money.

:D

Good luck!

Some bits are more expensive than you might expect (triple start cap-barrel taps) unless you can make them. However, I'd suggest you go for it.

I would suggest you learn to turn before diving straight into a pen and hoping to get something useful. Instead, do consider kit pens as ball points are more saleable to your colleagues etc. Also they are very SIMPLE, and can be mastered fairly quickly so you don't get despondant by masses of failures.

Regards,

Richard.

I wish you more luck with your pen making venture and hope it proves to be a success.

Keep us posted wont you.

+1 on the venture

I have to say that i've seen this coming for a while and i'm glad. You've become a really good nibmeister and I see you picking up the turning fairly quickly. Put me in line for your first production pen.

I have the feeling you will do a great job.

Best of luck to you!

John

Time will say nothing but I told you so.

Okay - since you asked nicely - and since it's going to a good cause - :P

Here it is.

gallery_41188_9_152498.jpg

gallery_41188_9_99182.jpg

gallery_41188_9_26925.jpg

gallery_41188_9_62327.jpg

gallery_41188_9_247915.jpg

Edited by watch_art

Go for it, and good luck. I'm on a similar trajectory - an old wood turning lathe, a motley collection of turning tools and a few pieces of acrylic scavenged from the offcut bin at a nearby factory. So far I've made three sections, one cap and a barrel, none of which match, but I'm learning all the time and turning is addictive. No kits for me, either.

Edited by Rose Nibs

Okay - since you asked nicely - and since it's going to a good cause - :P

Here it is.

gallery_41188_9_152498.jpg

gallery_41188_9_99182.jpg

gallery_41188_9_26925.jpg

gallery_41188_9_62327.jpg

gallery_41188_9_247915.jpg

MYUHAHAHAHAHA!

Hi Shawn,

Wishing you lots of success with your pen making venture !

There surely is a learning curve, but I'm convinced you'll take this hurdle..

I would suggest to go for a small metal lathe, when possible equipped with a threading gear box.

Doing so you will be able to cut 3 or 4 leads cap and barrel threads in due time.

Francis

Good luck with turning. I took the plunge a few months ago. Space was a constraint for me too. I have my setup in a space of about 3 sq feet with a really tiny lathe sitting in my bedroom.

I am sure you will enjoy it.

Best of luck with the venture Shawn. I do hope you sell your pens for what they are worth and get set up with the turning equipment soon.

I will be looking forward to your creations.

Salman