Hero 616 Cap Mod

lint

Hi All,

I am a huge fan of the Hero 616. I have always loved the two tone gold/silver caps of some of the Parker 51 models so I decided to bring that style to my 616. The mod is very simple. Order one 616 with a silver cap and one with a gold cap. Disassemble the cap and swap the clip. To me the look is greatly improved. The alternative, silver clip on gold cap doesn't look that bad either (I'll post pictures later).

http://s10.postimage.org/fwxkwyp4l/2011_12_15_09_05_38_961.jpg

http://s10.postimage.org/oggyupxh1/2011_12_15_09_05_49_140.jpg

http://s10.postimage.org/5oa5o97ed/2011_12_15_09_06_08_768.jpg

http://s10.postimage.org/hrfhbtigl/2011_12_15_09_06_24_326.jpg

http://s10.postimage.org/r0hnlxrcl/2011_12_15_09_06_40_709.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flounder

• lint

• rezwrrd

• Manalto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey, looking good! Actually, great! I like how you kept the steel jewel especially. Are these standard size or jumbos? I've not seen any gold capped jumbos. I'd love to see the gold cap, steel clip version :thumbup:

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

these are standard size. The caps might actually be the same for the jumbo ones. Ill post pictures of the alternate one tonight. thanks for the compliments guys.

Next to try a NOS Parker jewel in place of the steel one.

Edited by lint

Where's me ruler... okay the jumbo cap is about 6.3cm from the tip of the jewel to the bottom of the cap, and the diameter of the cap hole is about 1.1cm. Is that about the same as your standard 616?

I actually think what you've done looks better than the all gold cap, very old school parker.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Where's me ruler... okay the jumbo cap is about 6.3cm from the tip of the jewel to the bottom of the cap, and the diameter of the cap hole is about 1.1cm. Is that about the same as your standard 616?

I actually think what you've done looks better than the all gold cap, very old school parker.

I've got 6.3cm long cap and about a 1.2cm diameter hole. Sounds roughly the same to me.

That's interesting about the caps, quite a surprise. A previous thread shows the differences in size between the parker 51, standard 616 and jumbo 616, it's hard for me to picture how the cap can fit both barrel diameters.

[edit- isn't it odd, given that chinese pens typically only have one nib size available, that alone among chinese pens, the 616 should come in demi and full size models?]

Edited by Flounder

• 3 years later...

I had to pull this thread out of mothballs to thank you (Lint) for your (why didn't I think of that?) idea. It really improves the look of the steel 616. the pen on the right is a Baoer 388, with no modifications.

James

post-118450-0-40479700-1422481243_thumb.jpg

Edited by Manalto

James

They are now selling the 616-2 with a colored jewel and a gold clip over steel cap. The hero 100 can be found on the bao (aka Taobao) with a standard gold clip and steel cap and gold barrel end jewel.

They are now selling the 616-2 with a colored jewel and a gold clip over steel cap.

Those colors certainly announce "Made in China."

James

Edited by Manalto

James

I've done that too. I also ran some sandpaper lengthwise along the silver cap for a "brushed" look. I'm glad the 616-2 comes with a gold clip from the factory, because I don't care much for the silver clip on the gold cap of the donor pen. :P

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/rezwrrd/pens/BAF40F60-CFC7-4988-A66D-0BD4265D3CF0.jpg

Flounder, have you had a chance to mess with any 616-2's yet? I unscrewed the clip from one of mine and it's got brass threads with the plastic pressed on the inside. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to put a custom jewel on there and/or create some kind of double-jeweled H616-2 monstrosity. :D

Have to agree with you, rez, about the reverse configuration of the donor pen. I've put mine in the giveaway queue. Now all I have to do is find someone who's colorblind and interested in trying out a fountain pen.

My 616s with the chrome caps have fine lengthwise striations, so I can't try it with these, but the brushed effect is nice, particularly against the gloss of the clip ring. I'd also like to try putting a band of tape around the bottom 1/4" or so while scuffing, to maintain the shine there.

James

Edited by Manalto

James

The engraved lines that run most of the way along the cap? Mine had those too, and they were pretty prominent. I tried brushing across the cap to imitate the Lustraloy cap on my favorite Parker Super 21s, but the lines kept showing through so I had to go with the grain. Great idea with the cap band, I'll have to try that! Might be time to try another now that I've got a dremel.

I tried the tape idea and my dremel didn't like it one bit. Next time I'll try some kind of jig. My wire brush wasn't enough to rough it up, so I went with the sandpaper bit. It ended up a bit rougher than I'd hoped.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/rezwrrd/pens/A127E896-DAEA-4299-A686-90B2764D3DE5.jpg

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/rezwrrd/pens/ECC338A4-9791-447D-8178-AEC6645D68FD.jpg

After roughing it up with the drum sander bit, I went across it with the wire brush bit and finally the buffing wheel. It feels smoother than it looks.

I should probably consider investing in a macro lens for pen photos! :)

Edited by rezwrrd

I didn't get the 616-2 in the end rezwrrd, as I was put off by some very unflattering auction photos, the coloured jewels looked uneven and tacky. I would have probably picked a few up in full size just for the cool red one, but they only make the 616-2 in a small size.

edit - here's a blogpost from a while back with some nice cap swap photos, it's a great look for the 616 - almost like an old 51 cap with aluminium jewel.

http://flounders-mindthots.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/hero-616-jumbo-cap-clip-swap.html

ps - I like the engraved cap lines!

I can't speak to the tackiness of the jewels, but mine look like they're on straight. I'm trying to come up with something more jewel-y to put in their place, just because. I like the lines, but I also like variation in my pens. :)

I do wish the 616-2s came in a larger size. I think I've decided that the Parker Super 21 is the perfect size for me, and these are kind of small by comparison. I guess this means my favorite 616 is a jumbo?

Quite a surprise to leave here for 4 years and come back to this thread still near the top of this forum! :) Glad you all got some use out of it. Now to find these 616-2's you guys are mentioning. :)

Good ideas endure, my friend.

Now to find these 616-2's you guys are mentioning. :)

Your eyes will each need a soothing slice of cucumber after you do.

James

Edited by Manalto

James