Omas Nib/feed Case Broke

elaborate

I took my OMAS extra out of storage and was so happy that I'll be using it, and as I started to fill the pen the nib fell off! The bit that holds the nib and feed together broke.

Should I send it back to OMAS to get it fixed? Is this the best thing to do? I am located in UK I guess I should contact the Italians directly?

Had this pen since 1999/2000, bought it from a seller in Bremen in Germany and I didn't even use it much and only ever used OMAS ink. I had no idea that it can fall apart just like that. :bawl:

Best regards to all.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eric47

• elaborate

• hari317

• swisspens

The bit that holds the nib and feed together broke.

Should I send it back to OMAS to get it fixed? Is this the best thing to do? I am located in UK I guess I should contact the Italians directly?

So the collar that holds the nib and feed is broken? There's a period of production where those collars are quite susceptible to deterioration -- probably a bad lot. They should be made of ebonite, so probably a lot that wasn't cured/produced properly.

It happened to one of my Omas pens, and a couple of stores have mentioned that it seems an issue with just a certain period. The rest of my modern Omas pens have been fine with regards to the collar -- other than the one I dropped nib down on carpet and cracked its collar. :doh:

Whoever has Omas spare parts can fix it for you, although I don't know offhand anyone in the UK or who the UK distributor is if any. The only European repairer (other than Omas) I know who has parts and can fix it is also located in Italy.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

it should be a relatively simple affair for a third party repairman to even fabricate a new collar out of HR or delrin. In the UK i would contact Eckiethump: Eric Wilson who is known to do such repairs or Francis Gossens aka fountainbel in Belgium. Just a tradeoff between getting things done locally at probably a cheaper rate Vs sending the pen off for warranty service, long waits and possibly service charges.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks to both of your replies. Yesterday was the first time I realised that there was such a part in an OMAS... and thanks to you guys now I know it's made with ebonite.

The pen is date stamped 1994. So maybe that was a bad year?

Thanks again for your replies. :notworthy1:

Yesterday was the first time I realised that there was such a part in an OMAS...

LOL, that's how I found out too about that part on my 1991 Blue Royale celluloid Paragon. Early 90s seems the period *but* it doesn't happen to all pens made during that period. I have other date stamped celluloid pens from the early 90s, only the blue Paragon suffered deterioration of the collar.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Yesterday was the first time I realised that there was such a part in an OMAS...

LOL, that's how I found out too about that part on my 1991 Blue Royale celluloid Paragon. Early 90s seems the period *but* it doesn't happen to all pens made during that period. I have other date stamped celluloid pens from the early 90s, only the blue Paragon suffered deterioration of the collar.

What coincidence! Mine is also a Blue Royale celluloid... lady sized. :o

I have a 1992 Dama in grey celluloid and as far as I can see (hands firmly on wood) the collar looks perfectly fine. :D

Could it be some sort of interaction between blue celluloid and collar?

What coincidence! Mine is also a Blue Royale celluloid... lady sized. :o

I have a 1992 Dama in grey celluloid and as far as I can see (hands firmly on wood) the collar looks perfectly fine. :D

Could it be some sort of interaction between blue celluloid and collar?

I don't think so. I saw of photo of a pearl gray Paragon that suffered the same collar deterioration.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Same issue with a NOS Paragon 94' (under lifetime guarantee).

Sent to Italy from Switzerland, waited 2 months so far.

I asked to get a EF extra flexible nib. I heard yesterday they have it in stock and will do it for free.

Waiting for a handling quote though.

"...над кем смеетесь? над собой смеетесь!..." Гоголь, Ревизор

www.123stylo.com