The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Fpn Passaporto

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 00:53

I come home Thursday after school to find a yellow note on my door saying DHL tried to drop off a pack but nobody was home. So I signed the note and stuck it back on the door. Next afternoon I come home to find my package hidden on the upstairs patio (second story of the house used to be a separate apartment) and I almost freaked out because I couldn't find it.

Nice packaging. Books and ink cart, extra nib.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lid on the box is magnetized? It snaps shut and holds tight. Pretty nice!
Pen strapped to cardboard platform.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What I didn't expect was how small it really is. I was almost worried that I wouldn't be comfortable writing with it. Quite the opposite really. I spent the whole afternoon marking essays for art class. Why We Make Art and What Would Your World Be Like Without Art. Got some interested comments. Some really funny stuff. Some really disappointing. THe whole time my pen open and out - never dried out. Really smooth nib. Quite fine for a medium nib - but I did adjust it to write a bit wetter - more to my taste. I adjust every pen I own though unless it's already a gusher. :P

Posted Image

Filled the inscription with white crayon. Cool!

Posted Image

Little #5 nib. Very smooth. Honestly smoother than the Sailor 1911 H-EF I used to have. Same line size and smoother. You can't beat that. Using Noodler's FPN Van Gogh Starry Nights blue. Perfect from this pen.

Posted Image

Didn't expect a clear bit of plastic coming from the section back end either. I guess it's like a sleeve that fits into the section and contains the threads for the nib unit to thread into. Pretty clever if that's indeed how it's made.

Posted Image

And to demonstrate just how small it is - yes it REALLY is a pocket pen and it DOES fit perfectly in the pocket - here it is apart next to the small international cart that came with it. I was worried it would be too small to use comfortably, but with the cap threaded on - and it is quite secure - it's very comfortable in the hand. I'll get some comparison pics later on.

Posted Image

And the 1.1 italic that came with it. Yes I did adjust it to make it wetter and oh is it a delight!

Posted Image

Big thanks to Wim and Etruria for making this happen. :thumbup:

Edited by watch_art, 11 December 2011 - 00:54.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

Sponsored Content

#2 _Logan

_Logan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:51

Nice, writing sample please!
"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

#3 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:14

With the 1.1 nib:

Posted Image

With the M/F nib.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Parker 51, Passaporto, Edison Herald Grange, JEB Nazca.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by watch_art, 11 December 2011 - 02:17.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#4 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:41

I chose a Fine nib on my FPN Passoporto and find it to also be quite smooth. I'm impressed! Yours is lovely, too :)
Tamara

#5 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 14:38

Now THAT'S a set of pictures like I have been waiting to see!

Great job. Thanks!

#6 drgoretex

drgoretex

zookeeper of teenagers

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 14:50

Great review, Shawn. Gotta love that toothpick in there for comparison! :ltcapd: Yup, that's a small pen!

Looking forward to mine arriving - but not expecting that it will til sometime in January, as I have ordered the Passaporto and the Modello T.

BTW - Love the drawing you did with the 1.1! I have NO idea what it is, but it is really very cool.

Ken

#7 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 15:21

Thanks! The drawing is a little house that I copied from one of my students. I was sitting next to him in class Friday trying to take a break from going crazy, and I asked him what he was drawing. He said he was drawing my devil worms in a house. I LOVE IT! Such a cool idea and a totally new tangent for me to go on with my worms. I've been inspired by several students' ideas. I'll put up another photo of the devil worm house later on.

#8 bridgettt

bridgettt

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 16:51

Very cool. I got the same nibs. Mine hasn't arrived yet so this review helped take the edge off a bit.
"The pen is the tongue of the mind." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra Don Quixote

#9 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 17:36

Here's the first worm house I drew - based very closely on the one drawn by my student.
And even though you can't read it, the writing on the right is from the 1.1 nib from the Passaporto.
The drawing was made with an Ahab.
Posted Image

Edited by watch_art, 11 December 2011 - 17:38.

#10 Essensia

Essensia

In it for the ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 18:32

Great review! Thank you for showing the posted Passaporto next to other pens. I was afraid it would be scary-small, but now I'm relieved. Love the drawings and writing samples. Those are the nibs I'll be receiving as well, but I can't draw to save my life. :embarrassed_smile:

#11 R A Miller

R A Miller

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 19:01

Nice review, thanks!

Is that a television antenna on top of the worm house? They're packed kind of tight in there, doesn't look like much room for a TV.

Rick M

Posted Image

#12 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 19:04

Thanks!
Yeah - some kind of antennae. The kid who drew the original is one of my special needs kids - and he's OBSESSED with scary movies. Most of his art relates to scary movies in some way - and I guess the antennae relates to TV and movies.

#13 Edgar Allan Bo

Edgar Allan Bo

- ~ * ~ = Antique = ~ * ~ -

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 19:43

cool, I like those smallish pocket pens à la Kaweco Sport, Stipula Passeporto, Sailor Sapporo Mini, etc.

#14 R A Miller

R A Miller

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 20:05

....Most of his art relates to scary movies in some way - and I guess the antennae relates to TV and movies.

That would explain it.

cool, I like those smallish pocket pens à la Kaweco Sport, Stipula Passeporto, Sailor Sapporo Mini, etc.

I like the looks of the pocket pens too. I was eyeing The Kaweco Sport until the FPN Passaporto came along.

Rick M

Posted Image

#15 sph33r

sph33r

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 21:27

What a tiny pen I would have never given a second look at without your review. Very nice!
- Brad -

#16 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• 11,914 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:06

I always enjoy your reviews and such, Shawn.

I'm reluctant to admit that my excitement over the Passaporto (which is en route to me) has been tempered by the arrival last week of TWO Nakaya Piccolos (one on Tuesday, the other on Friday, both ordered on July 12, which, I believe, is still a shorter wait than for the Passaporto, and that is merely an observation).

The Devil Wormhouse is fabulous!

After reading this thread, enjoying the photos and drawings, I'm more excited about the Passaporto, yay!

Edited. Stupid typos.

Edited by ethernautrix, 12 December 2011 - 05:07.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#17 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• 11,914 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:11

D'oh! Forgot to add... if your Stipula nib is smoother and finer than a Sailor 1911 H-EF. then YEE-HAAAAAW! Am I ever looking forward to it NOW! My Sailor 1911's H-EF nib is one of my favorite for very tiny writing... and drawing (a little bit, not as much as I should...).

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#18 TMLee

TMLee

589 crafted ... one at a time ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:27

Posted Image

I like this filled engraving.
How does one do it?

What kind of crayon did you use?

How do you wipe away the excess crayon?

BTW , under the light, the reflections of the engraving looks silverish - which matches the silver trim !

Edited by TMLee, 12 December 2011 - 05:31.

#19 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:36

It does look nicer filled, in my opinion. I just used a white crayola crayon and wiped away with the bottom of my t shirt. Cotton. :)

#20 clickiechick

clickiechick

I'm just lurking!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:49

@watch art:

That white crayon just looks cool. It's the best part of this review. I had to do the same with my Passaporta Verde Liberta just because I could not resist such a simple and elegant mod! It really pops on the green.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I used a Worther white 3mm lead.

For those who like the shorties, here's a photo of the three tiny workponies mentioned by others in this thread:

Posted Image
Wassup wid that, homes? Looks like you're WANT to feel the hurt. -ethernautrix

Sponsored Content

|