The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Aurora Asia Le

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues

Never Point-less

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 00:11

Based on previous comments, and my own sometimes uncheckable FP lust, I purchased the Aurora Asia LE on line. Caught a great sale on-line, from a company I had bought from before, and made my move.

First impression: impressive. Wood box holds the FP, and lifting the display piece reveals a bottle of 'special' ink that is included, along with a 'care and feeding' booklet. Nice display, but I bought a pen, and that's what I was anxious to get to.

The FP itself blew me away.

Fit and finish are flawless. The green / brownish swirls really grab me and pull me in. I had previously considered purchasing the Africa, but the brown / black seemed a tad harsh. The Asia looks - welcoming, I guess. I've seen a few in person, and they have all appealed to me, so I felt safe in a 'site unseen' purchase of this one.

The top has a stone of some sort adorning the cap. Small enough to be unobtrusive, large enough to be noticeable.

The metal band is adorned with symbols of Asia: panda, yin yang, etc. Small, delicate. Not overwhelming.

The nib is 18K.

I chose a MEDIUM nib, but similar to my other Aurora, it seems to be a finer nib then what I would consider a medium. Closer to a FINE in my book, but a good size. Another Aurora I have has a BROAD nib, and it seems closer to a medium. Might just be me.

When writing, it is lightweight and seems to glide across the paper. Remind me a bit of playing with a OUIJA board when I was a kid, that kind of light touch. As it should be. The length is good for my hand whether I post or not. It sits easily in my hand.

Obviously looks are important with an FP, but the proof of the pudding is in the writing. I fell in love with this pen as soon as it hit the paper. The pen just looks like it is going to make me write better, if that makes any sense at all.

It is also my first piston pen, so it took me a couple of attempts to actually fill the pen with ink, but I got the knack of it. Has a 'hidden reserve', so that if you run out of ink, you can slightly back the piston out then back in again and you'll have enough ink to write another page or two.

The bad part is I wish I had jumped on the other Continent LE versions Aurora has put out. If they are anything like the Asia, they must be incredible.

I'm just enjoying writing with it tremendously. It's at the top of the rotation right now, and I think it's going to be getting a lot of use.

If anyone is toying with the idea of getting one, I'd recommend it. FPs are very personal, to be sure, but this one certainly suits me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by watch_art, 11 December 2011 - 15:23.
added photos

Sponsored Content

#2 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:45

Congratulations! I have also been tempted by the Asia model. It's beautiful! And any Aurora is bound to be well-made and a great writer :)
Tamara

#3 Skeet

Skeet

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:28

"I had previously considered purchasing the Africa".....

Aurora's are great writers. Nice firm nibs,with no delayed starts or skipping. I have a blue Optima, and can't wait to get my hands on an Afrika. Post some pics of the Asia if u can. Great review. Thanks.

IF YOU FREE YOUR MIND...YOUR PEN WILL FOLLOW
PhotobucketPhotobucket

#4 Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues

Never Point-less

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 14:41

Here's a link to some photos I took.

Sorry for the quality, I am useless with a camera:

https://picasaweb.go...COXTt8zVvLmL_gE

#5 R A Miller

R A Miller

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2011 - 18:54

Nice review and great photos. Glad you like the pen.

I chose a MEDIUM nib, but similar to my other Aurora, it seems to be a finer nib then what I would consider a medium. Closer to a FINE in my book, but a good size. Another Aurora I have has a BROAD nib, and it seems closer to a medium. Might just be me.

No it's not just you, Aurora nibs tend to write small when compared to other European nibs of the same designation.

Rick M

Posted Image

#6 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Antique

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:45

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but does anyone know if the rubberized grip is easily worn out?  Love the look of this pen and the Afrika but I wouldn't think a rubberized grip would hold up that well.

#7 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:58

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but does anyone know if the rubberized grip is easily worn out?  Love the look of this pen and the Afrika but I wouldn't think a rubberized grip would hold up that well.

I have the pen. the grip is matte finished, not rubberised AFAIK.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#8 Edwaroth

Edwaroth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:58

Beautiful pen. My next buy will be an Aurora Optima

#9 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:12

Nice review. She's a looker alright! Congrats on a beautiful pen.

Sponsored Content

|