Edison Nouveau Premiere

anaximander

I already have one of the "standard" Edison Nouveau Premieres, and have often thought how great it would be to have one in ebonite. So I was very excited when an ENP limited edition ebonite pen was announced in summer 2011. But the blue/black ebonite used for that LE didn't really speak to me, so I passed on it.

On Nov. 30, 2011, a second ENP LE was announced, this time in "cherry cordial" ebonite. I took one look at the pictures and jumped on it!

You can see my general feelings about the Edison Nouveau Premiere in this review, so I'll limit my comments here to the new LE, and mostly let my pictures do the talking.

http://rongilmour.info/images/enp_le/ENP_full.jpg

http://rongilmour.info/images/enp_le/ENP_diag.jpg

The design, just to be clear, is identical to the regular ENP. Only the material is different. And this material is really beautiful! I've seen other red/black ebonites, but not like this one. The name is quite apt, as the red element really is cherry-colored, not orangish or brownish as in some other red/black swirls. The color reminds me of wine, which may be why I immediately filled it with Diamine Syrah.

http://rongilmour.info/images/enp_le/ENP_ebonite.jpg

The nib is very handsome: two-tone steel with the Edison logo. I chose the bold, which also writes a nice fine when inverted. Brian Gray's nibs are always excellent and this one is no exception.

http://rongilmour.info/images/enp_le/ENP_nib.jpg

Just to show that I was serious about jumping on this pen immediately, here's the imprint showing that I got #1 of the LE!

http://rongilmour.info/images/enp_le/ENP_imprint.jpg

The price for this LE is $200 (that's with a steel nib; it's $325 if you want gold). To put that in perspective, that's $50 more than the non-LE ENPs, $50 less than the the base price of most of Brian Gray's custom pens, and the same price as a custom Mina. I think the ENP is one of the best Edison designs and the extra $50 for this stunning ebonite is definitely worth it.

In closing, I'd like to thank Brian Gray and Brian and Rachel Goulet for bringing out another fine pen in the ENP line. I can't wait to see what comes next!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tiffanyhenschel

• AtomicLeo

• XiaoMG

• georges zaslavsky

Beautiful material! Enjoy. happyberet.gif

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Congratulations on a beautiful acquisition. I spent several hours marking essays with my #12 this afternoon, loving every stroke of the nib. Mine is filled with Binder Burgandy, but the Syrah sounds intriguing.

It is another excellent collaboration by Brian, Brian, and Rachel!

"Life is too big for words, so don't try to describe it. Just live it."

- C.S. Lewis

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Just a lovely colour for the Christmas season!

And beautiful photos. It is indeed a deep cherry red ebonite. I've never been disappointed by Goulet ... with the exception that they do not reside in my country!!!

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

Very pretty pen! Although for the $325 price tag on a supposedly LE pen, the lousy imprint job looks out of place. They should have simply done the imprint without trying to fill it. I really like the Edison pens, but it seems that the imprint (on this one at least) was an afterthought.

Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7

Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

• 2 weeks later...

very nice pen :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I own #3 in this series, but I've had trouble with the nib. I loaded it up with P.R. Fiesta Red and tried to do my Christmas cards, and it bled all over. I rinsed it out again and then loaded it up with Lamy Blue Black (original iron gall mixture). It's the driest ink I own. I can write with the pen now, but it's really wet. I contacted Brian about it and he had offered to look at the pen and fix it, but I'm hoping the repair guy at the local pen shop can fix it. Hate the thought of losing a one of a kind pen in the mail.

Do you find the ENP pens to be wet writers? This is my first Edison.

Atomic Leo

I own #3 in this series, but I've had trouble with the nib. I loaded it up with P.R. Fiesta Red and tried to do my Christmas cards, and it bled all over. I rinsed it out again and then loaded it up with Lamy Blue Black (original iron gall mixture). It's the driest ink I own. I can write with the pen now, but it's really wet. I contacted Brian about it and he had offered to look at the pen and fix it, but I'm hoping the repair guy at the local pen shop can fix it. Hate the thought of losing a one of a kind pen in the mail.

My experience is that if the nib does not write exactly like you want it to, Brian will adjust it for you for free, and he will get it back to you quickly. No matter how wet/dry "normal" is, if it isn't how you want it, it isn't right. Brian really wants to work with you until it is right. Mail it with tracking and insurance, and you should be fine.

Edited by Tiffanyhenschel

- C.S. Lewis

My experience is that if the nib does not write exactly like you want it to, Brian will adjust it for you for free, and he will get it back to you quickly. No matter how wet/dry "normal" is, if it isn't how you want it, it isn't right. Brian really wants to work with you until it is right. Mail it with tracking and insurance, and you should be fine.

Yes, he has been fantastic in email. Just shiver at thought of my one-in-a-kind pen in the mail, especially this time of year. I hope it just needs to be adjusted and the local guy can do that for me. If not, I'll wait for the holiday craziness to settle down and send the pen to Brian.

Atomic Leo

You're not alone here. My ENP with a supposedly EF nib lays down such a wet line that it nearly competes with my TWSBI with an M nib. I ordered a second EF nib from Goulet to see if it was a one-off thing, but the second one was astoundingly wet too. The tines are close together on the top side of the nib, but the underside appears like it has been ground out, creating a wide gap that just pours ink onto the page.

I've considered contacting Mr. Gray about it, but living in East Asia, it's not exactly very cost-effective to send a nib back and forth, so I'm hesitant. For now, my pen just sits on a table waiting for me to decide if I should get it adjusted or if I should just sell it. It's a fine pen, but perhaps it's best served with medium and broad nibs, which really aren't up my alley.

Robert.

The stock xf nibs are a recent offering from Edison. You used to have to pay for a custom grind from a fine Mine is wet, too, but I thought that was because I asked Brian to make it that way. I have a steel fine from the previous LE that writes a finer, drier line than my new xf. I prefer the wetter nib, but if this is a common occurance, maybe there is an issue with the nibs.

If people are having a problem with nibs, they really need to address it with Brian Gray. He wants to make it right; plus, without feedback from customers, he won't know there is a problem.

I completely understand waiting until after the holidays to mail something. I would do the same thing.

- C.S. Lewis

Different strokes for different folks. I love my ENP cobalt with fine or medium nib. I would agree that it is a wet writer, but I like that. In contrast, I just uninked my TWSBI 540 F last night, because it was too thin and dry for my tastes; M and B nibs are on the way to hopefully correct this.

And ink and paper play their part. On cheaper paper, a dryer pen and/or ink are beneficial, but on higher quality paper, e.g. HP 32#, I find I need a M nib or at least a wet flowing ink in a F nib to keep the pen moving across the page.

Just depends on how small you write, ink and paper choices, and so on. Personally, I think the Edison Nouveau Premiere is a fantastic pen.

Edited by fourseamer

The stock xf nibs are a recent offering from Edison. You used to have to pay for a custom grind from a fine Mine is wet, too, but I thought that was because I asked Brian to make it that way. I have a steel fine from the previous LE that writes a finer, drier line than my new xf. I prefer the wetter nib, but if this is a common occurance, maybe there is an issue with the nibs.

I get the vague impression that the German nib manufacturers have not been quite as successful as some of the Japanese companies at making stock extra-fine nibs. The EF nibs I've gotten from Edison and from TWSBI have been less than stellar, or perhaps even mediocre, compared to even the cheaper Pilot pens I've tried. The centering of the slit and the size and symmetry of the tines has, in my admittedly limited experience, been much better with the Japanese fine nibs. However, my TWSBI M looks very nice under a loupe. The tolerances appear to be very tight, and I'm willing to assume that most medium and broad nibs from these makers are similarly consistent and well-executed. Sadly I haven't much use for mediums or broads, which is why I didn't order them.

Living outside the USA, any strategy to rectify, whether it's buying additional nibs (playing the lottery) or trying to send a nib back and forth, is a not-so-inexpensive gamble; there is some temptation to leave it alone and call it a "learning experience". I may still try to contact Mr. Gray about it, but I do not really want to be a nuisance when it seems like the issue does not originate from him.

Edited by XiaoMG

Robert.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on a beautiful acquisition. I spent several hours marking essays with my #12 this afternoon, loving every stroke of the nib. Mine is filled with Binder Burgandy, but the Syrah sounds intriguing.

It is another excellent collaboration by Brian, Brian, and Rachel!

Get some Syrah Tiffany. I understand its a replica of the Binder Burgundy. You'll love a big bottle.