Stipula Vedo

poldy

For years I have been collecting pens from cheap to insanely expensive and have often been struck by how little we pay attention to the fact that the paper we use determines as much about the writing experience as the pen itself.

I work in an emergency room, always charting. And the paper is copy paper from a printer which seems to have been designed with the explicit intention of not happily absorbing the ink of pens placed upon it.

With the result that from my beautiful Sailor Profit 30th Anniversary to my Pilot Bamboo, from my Pelikan M800 to my Stipula Pinocchio with Titanium nib - all beautiful writers on paper designed to write upon with a pen - the experience of using these pens to write every day, reams of notes, upon accursed laser-copy-generated charts is quite enervating. I refer not so much to skips but more to no dynamic feel whatever to setting pen to paper, with the result that i might as well be writing with a Bic ballpoint.

But this has changed now that I have met the Stipula Vedo.

The pen has been described elsewhere, so I will not repeat the favorable impressions of others with regard to heft and design.

I simply wanted to add that it is, for whatever reason, a great writer on even the most inhospitable and unfeelingly corporate of surfaces.

It has become my daily work pen. And specifically that.

I have never before encountered such a reliable workhorse of a pen with regard to surfaces and types of paper.

post-67446-0-14619500-1323524484.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• poldy

• fjf

• Thornton

• cjbrown34

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is a really nice...and useful, review. Thanks. I have been looking for a review of the new Stipula's and this review gives me so hope that they will be great additions to my collection.

I have one of those with an italic nib, and it is a nice pen, with a size between a Pelikan m400 and a m600. It has a small steel nib, similar size of the twsbi (I think it is a #5), but writes well. I'd say it is the m200 from Stipula. Recommended.

The Vedo, and Stipula as a whole are awesome. I have one Vedo in Onyx and another in Ruby and both are very consistent and reliable. Hope you continue to enjoy yours.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Ah, you beat me to it. I have been meaning to do a review of my Stipula Vedo Giorno.

I got mine a couple months back from Bryant at Pentime.com, and it quickly became a daily user for me. I love the smooth line it lays down (I got the medium nib, which writes a little on the fine side of the usual western medium), and I love the feel of the pen - I can write with it comfortably uncapped (I am used to shorter pens despite big hands), but it is unbelievably comfortable when posted! The piston in it is excellent, the ink window size, which I initially thought would be off-putting, is absolutley beautiful - especially filled with my fave Pelikan Royal Blue.

All around, this is a pen pen worth spending the $150 ish on.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, you beat me to it. I have been meaning to do a review of my Stipula Vedo Giorno.

I got mine a couple months back from Bryant at Pentime.com, and it quickly became a daily user for me. I love the smooth line it lays down (I got the medium nib, which writes a little on the fine side of the usual western medium), and I love the feel of the pen - I can write with it comfortably uncapped (I am used to shorter pens despite big hands), but it is unbelievably comfortable when posted! The piston in it is excellent, the ink window size, which I initially thought would be off-putting, is absolutley beautiful - especially filled with my fave Pelikan Royal Blue.

All around, this is a pen pen worth spending the $150 ish on.

Ken

And apropos of the beautiful ink window (with which i thoroughly agree), it doubles as a level. :)

I love my Vedos. I've got 2, one in a marbled brown finish and another in a dark, bluish-purple finish. The shape of the Vedo makes it one of the most comfortable pens I've ever used. Everything seems to come together very well on the Vedo. Alas, my dark purple Vedo now has a jammed piston (poor pen hygiene crybaby.gif).

• 4 months later...

i just got a Vedo, but hadn't read the "fine print". With an ink window I just assumed (that is my fault) that it was a piston filler. Alas, it is a C/C. Oy. I guess that this was Stipula's way of using left over barrels etc. from pens that did have pistons. It might still write well and be great. We shall see.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

• 2 years later...

I have the Vedo piston-fill with a 0.9mm italic stub. Once you get the Vedo feed/nib to flow properly, the pen is enjoyable and comparable in its writing and filling experience to my Pelikan M205 despite different nibs on both pens. I'd be interested to compare it to the TWSBI mini once that arrives (one is on the way). In addition to about 100 rinses or so through the feed with distilled water and some detergent rinses, I absolutely had to remove and reset the nib in the Vedo in order to get the ink flowing. The rinsing eventually provided no more improvement and I discovered nib removal, cleaning and resetting was the final thing that allowed it to flow like a fountain pen. Waterman Florida Blue may also be partly responsible for the acceptable flow I'm finally experiencing now, though I did try this ink in this pen before the 4 hour rinsing routine and nib resetting and had little flow. I may report back once I try some other inks in this after all this effort to get it working.

One thing to note is the awesome little silver leaf detail above the pen clip fell off of my pen somewhere and is now lost. This one leaf detail really tied the very simplistic looking pen together and was about the only pleasing part of the clear cap to me. This emblem seemed to bring this very plastic feeling pen back 'down to nature'. Now there is an unsightly hole where the leaf used to be, and the pen feels out of harmony. This leaves the entire cap looking like there is much to be desired on the 'crystal' clear demonstrator pen. It would be nice if the end of the pen cap was finished with some sort of detail trim to look at as you are writing when posted. Other than much more to be desired aesthetically on the crystal version cap, the function of the pen is excellent and is my first stub italic nib. I may post some pics and further more detailed review with twsbi and other pens if there is any interest discovered.

Brad

Daily Carry = Namiki Decimo Capless VP - Mica Blue

Revision (red ink) = Lamy Safari - Red

• 2 years later...

I have two vedo piston fountain pens. They will write OK for a few minutes and then the ink will stop flowing. It will restart if I invert the pen for a few seconds. Anyone else experience this or know of a solution?