What Is All The Fuss About Twsbi Pens?

dizzymizzy

I found the Twisbi to run a bit dry and the bold nib isn't as bold as I thought it would be. Any suggestions on getting it to run as wet as a lamy dialog bold nib?

Of the TWSBI nibs that I've had, a couple needed to be adjusted for increased ink flow. I did it the quick-and-dirty way, by forcing the blade of a utility knife between the tines. That worked well for me. However, it's possible to damage a nib using this method. I knew that, but I decided to take a chance, and my luck held.

Tony, if you push the tines apart with your thumbnail from the bottom before putting the exacto in and then gently twist the knife to spread apart more then withdraw (all the while keeping some small pressure with said thumbnail), you are much less likely to damage the inner slit wall :) Once you master this you can open up the tines on most any pen without damage. Learn on cheap pens ;)

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dizzymizzy

• MrsGouletPens

• raging.dragon

• Joshua J.

I bought a 540 ROC a few months ago and am very happy with it. It's become one of my most used pens. The medium nib that came with it is really quite good. I might like it better than my Aurora Optima, and Parker Duofold. I got mine after they solved the leak and nib problems.

I'd say it's a surprisingly good pen for the money, and that anyone who starts a fountain pen company in these times deserves a try. I say, good job.

Bill in Fla.

The more I hear about TWSBIs the more I want one. My budget is very tight and my pen purchases recently have definitely been in the "cheap" range. $50 for anything not absolutely essential is a major layout for me. I do have a 149 (the only thing I own more valuable than this pen is my house!), but that was purchased 25 years or so ago and I had a better job then. It needs resealing and, perhaps, a nib adjustment right now and I am quite worried that it will cost $50 or more to get it fixed. It will be worth it but it involves the potential of a lot of monetary pain for me. Short of winning the lottery, it is unlikely I will ever be able to buy a pen of that quality again. That's fine because it's such an outstanding pen I don't need another of that ilk.

Being in love with fountain pens being what it is, I'm sure everyone understands when I say it's hard to resist the allure of acquiring new pens. While $50 still is a lot of money to me, everything I have read indicates that the majority opinion is that TWSBI makes pens that are as good as pens that cost 2 or 3 times what they sell for. They're large (I own a 149, obviously I like large pens), nice to look at (would you deliberately choose a pen you found to be ugly?) and easy to maintain (not being particularly mechanical I really like this part) - what more could the budget pen enthusiast ask for? [Edit} before anyone answers that question, everyone seems to think they write quite well for the money you pay for a steel nib.

The only question now is "what model to I start saving for?" People seem to love the 540, but the 700 will probably hit this year, along with the Micarta and the metal TWSBI (?). I'll probably start with the 540, but the others look great also.

I'll pass on the Click because I have no interest in a FP that looks like a BP. I mean, really? I understand the convenience angle, but if that is your most important consideration then maybe a ballpoint is your best option.

YMMV,

Brian

I'd recommend spending your money on fixing the MB149 instead of buying a new TWSBI. The TWSBI's are nice, but an MB149 is nicer (as it should be, considering the huge price difference).

I really enjoyed my TWSBI 530 for as long as I had it...it didnt "speak to me" though, so I sold it to someone who would be able to appreciate it better :)

Being able to take it apart, adjust it, swap parts, I really like that about them. I will definitely be getting the mini TWSBI once its available!

I'd recommend spending your money on fixing the MB149 instead of buying a new TWSBI. The TWSBI's are nice, but an MB149 is nicer (as it should be, considering the huge price difference).

Oh, trust me, the MB is going to be fixed, but that doesn't mean I don't want a TWSBI :P The MB has stood by me for 25 years and I expect it will last even longer than that. There is nothing truly wrong with it and it would be a crime not to fix it.

Brian

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

• 2 years later...

Certainly TWSBI is proudly a Taiwanese (RoC) company.

Heck of a zombie thread.

Edited by dcpritch

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan