Twsbi Diamond 850 Metal Design Reversion 2.0

speedy

The real point about my persistence is to keep reminding Speedy that ability to post the cap, and have the pen balanced is VERY important to a lot of people, and it did not happen with the 530 or 540 models.

You can keep trying to object or call us "posters" whatever names you want. We won't stop bringing up the issue--especially if a pen is in a design phase and Speedy is asking FPN members for feedback. Deal with it. :thumbup:

I don't post my pens so I don't care either way. I'm just saying you could have phrased your "input" in a better way, i.e., honey instead of vinegar. ;)

The only vinegar I see being dispensed is your comments and assessments of how others should word their suggestions/questions....and continuing to do so as others express wanting the same thing.

Also, if you didn't like 530 or 540, why are you still bothering with Twsbi? I would have moved on to a different brand already. :P

Apparently that is the difference between you and me. Other than not being able to effectively cap post in a balanced manner, there is a lot to like and appreciate about TWSBI's work. Not that it will make any difference to you, but this is a thread seeking member feedback for a product design.

As such, I want my preference for being able to effectively post the cap to get noticed by Speedy before the design is done.

Deal with it. :W2FPN:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VillersCotterets

• fabrimedeiros

• SamCapote

• Jimmy James

The real point about my persistence is to keep reminding Speedy that ability to post the cap, and have the pen balanced is VERY important to a lot of people, and it did not happen with the 530 or 540 models.

Hear, hear!

• 7 months later...

Great looking pen and I really appreciatte the metal design being in the Military and needing a very tough exterior for my fountain pens. I also like the brushed look to hide the many scratches it will reciee here in AFG. Maybe if I get enough of them it will enhance my ballistic protection, like secondary armor plates. Price point?

**************************************************************************************

Whining: (Verb) Presenting a problem without a well thought out solution

**************************************************************************************

I really, REALLY hope that the pen will balance perfectly UNPOSTED. I haven't posted the cap since I was 15 years old and found out that it adversely affected my writing. I am now 62 years.

Now hurry up TWSBI - we have cash waiting! :drool:

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

Hear, hear!

Ditto Sam and Miles. Perhaps a lighter cap. That would be the ticket. That cap is a heavy sucker.

I'm a poster.

Just thought I'd throw that in just in case the level of member annoyance towards one another was dropping off unnecessarily...... ;)

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

The use of Titanium would be a great LE run in different anodized colors

Whining: (Verb) Presenting a problem without a well thought out solution

i am looking a this again and do not like the metal thread section, metal vs metal threads may cause corrosion for prolonged use.

Galvanic corrosion happens only if the two parts are made from dissimilar metals and are kept in contact in an electrolyte.

Galvanic corrosion doesn't require an electrolyte to be willfully introduced... depending on the reactions of the materials with each other, atmospheric or other passive sources of an electrolyte are enough to cause a reaction of enough severity to cause concern. The mating at edge of raw Carbon Fiber and Aluminum are an example of such a reaction, enough that designs should be carefully planned so that the two don't ever touch.

<em class='bbc'>I started nowhere, ended up back there. I caught a fever and it burned up my blood. It was a pity, I left the city; I did me some travelin' but it's done me no good.</em> - Buffalo Clover "The Ruse"

• 1 month later...

Any more feedback on this pen?

Having traveled extensively throughout Asia and Europe on business for many years, my unscientific observations indicate that a majority (albeit not a large majority) of Americans post their fountain pens while users in the other two aforementioned continents don't to any large degree.

Unless this pen is being redesigned primarily for the American market, I wouldn't expect the pen's balance to be optimized for writing while posted.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

Felix,

I would agree with your statement. The cap of the 540 is very heavy, much like the Cross Townsend's. Couple that with the sheer length of the 540 and its very unbalanced. The Vac is much the same, a bit better but still unbalanced. There are two advantages for posting for me. One does not lose the cap, and the pen doesn't roll off your desk.

TWSBI makes good pens; but my guess is that future pens will post well, but not balance well, not at this price point.

Side note: I've balanced my 540 by taking the clip off the pen.

• 4 weeks later...

For those still interested, this pic was just out up on the TWSBI facebook page, asking for commentary between the "notched" design and the plain design, as to which most people prefer more:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/544334_505916056117180_711572952_n.jpg

So it seems the 850 here is moving along nicely ^_~.

The right one is winning far and away, from reading the comments. I also asked about whether the cap could be posted (since on the 540 it wasn't really a good idea, posting directly onto the piston knob and all), but as of the last time I checked, speedy had yet to answer.

The last time I asked about posting (on the slim), Speedy seemed pretty dismissive of posting. I find that puzzling since it seems if not a clear majority prefer to post, a clear plurality at the minimum does.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Posting of a metal pen can back-weight the pen to uncomfortable levels pretty easily. I can see why Speedy would be dismissive of this on a metal pen.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Just gimme. gimme. GIMME!

I want one - NOW! :-) :rolleyes:

Just make it - I will learn how to balance it myself

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

Posting of a metal pen can back-weight the pen to uncomfortable levels pretty easily. I can see why Speedy would be dismissive of this on a metal pen.

That would depend heavily on the type of metal, but I was actually talking about posting of the "slim" model which is also in development that seems to have only a few metal parts and it appeared they were strategically located to properly weight the pen for posting. Nope. They were not.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Just gimme. gimme. GIMME!

I want one - NOW! :-) :rolleyes:

Just make it - I will learn how to balance it myself

Me too!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY