Waterman Expert Deluxe

owenj

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/LitlJaimo/Fountain%20Pens/Writtenreview-2.jpg

First Impressions: I really do love white pens. This version of the Expert Deluxe is part of Waterman's Pure White collection. A nice, somewhat eye catching pen.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/LitlJaimo/Fountain%20Pens/Fullsize.jpg

Construction & Quality: 8/10 I like the mix of white, metal/chrome, & black. The barrel is white lacquer over a metal body, the blind cap, cap jewel, & section are black plastic accented with chrome bands, & the cap is chrome with a black band. The cap also has 5 sets of horizontal lines/designs rather than being smooth metal. It's a click on/off cap, & clicks on to post securely as well :thumbup:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/LitlJaimo/Fountain%20Pens/Comparisoncapped.jpghttp://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/LitlJaimo/Fountain%20Pens/Comparisonuncapped.jpg

Weight & Dimensions: 8/10 I like the weight of this pen. It's a little heavier, feels more comparable to my Lamy 2k but certainly isn't a rock. A bit longer & thicker than the Waterman Hemisphere. The weight shifts to the back when posted, which I don't mind, but I haven't tried writing with this for hours straight yet. Feels very comfortable un-posted too.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/LitlJaimo/Fountain%20Pens/NibCap-1.jpg

Nib & Performance: 9/10 I ordered a size fine & feel it's a true Western fine. Stainless steel nib with perhaps the tiniest bit of spring. Once the feed was well saturated this thing wrote very nicely. The handwritten review was the 1st time ever writing with the pen, & the ink wasn't flowing too well. Having written with it a bit more now I rescind my comment about it being "dry." It isn't gushing wet, but I wouldn't call it dry anymore either. Very pleasant to write with.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/LitlJaimo/Fountain%20Pens/Parts.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance- 7/10 Standard cartridge converter. I'm wavering on giving this an 8 because the Waterman cartridges have such a large ink capacity.

Cost & Value: 7/10 MSRP is $175 & I think I paid around $120 for mine. I think it's a decent price; nice pen that wrote well straight from the box. However, the pen doesn't come with a converter whereas my $50 Harmonie did, so hmmm.

Conclusion: 39/50 I'd recommend this little lovely from Waterman. It's nice looking, performs well, & won't necessarily break the bank. Colors for the deluxe are limited, but you get a little more variety from the regular Expert line.

~Jaime

(she/her)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• georges zaslavsky

• Bill Wood

• robofkent

• owenj

I have had an Expert II in the usual black and gold trim but have just ordered the deluxe white version so looking forward to receiving it!

Beautiful pen. I have 3 expert II's and their terrific. So good in fact their almost "boringly" good. And that is in a good way. You'll enjoy that for years to come.

I have 4 first generation experts and they are better built than this one. Nice pen however :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Has a snap-on cap, yes?

Deecy/

yes indeed

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time