The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterman Hemisphere

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 owenj

owenj

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:08

Posted Image
First Impressions: I love white pens, & this is part of Waterman's Pure White line. The "Essential" Hemisphere (I think this is the new version?) is on the slim side, but the lacquer over a metal body (brass?) is nice & gives the pen much more weight than I was expecting. Fairly uniform in shape, no real bells or whistles to attract attention apart from the color.

Posted Image
Construction & Quality: 8/10 The weight & metal body feel nice in the hand. It's a very straight, no change in design pen, with just a slight taper towards the end. The white is matte rather than shiny or lustrous, but not chalky or flat due to the lacquer finish, if that makes any sense. Trim is chrome, the large band just above the section says "Waterman Paris", & on the other side in smaller print is "France." Clip has the Waterman 'W', & is a cut-out rather than solid. Cap jewel is angled rather than flat. Click on cap, posts nicely, & I think that distributes the weight better for writing. Then again, I hardly ever write with my pens un-posted.

Posted Image
Weight & Dimensions: 8/10 I'd call this a medium size pen due to the weight & length, but as mentioned before the barrel is slimmer. It's longer & heavier than my Pelikan 215, but not as thick. Enough weight that if someone picked it up they'd take note that this isn't a run-of-the-mill cheapie.

Posted Image
Nib & Performance: 6/10 Unfortunately, I think my nib out of the box has a bit of baby's bottom as it's a bit of a hard starter. It does write nicely once it gets going, & puts down a nice wet, true medium (in my opinion) line. Smooth writer with a little feedback. The nib is stainless steel & firm. The nib is marked with the Waterman 'W', brand & size. I'm probably going to have this re-ground into a stub.

Posted Image
Filling System & Maintenance: 7/10 Standard cartridge converter. I used the converter for the first fill & it worked fine. The Waterman cartridges are huge compared to most others I've seen. The pen doesn't normally come with a converter hence the slightly lower mark, but my retailer tossed it in for free :thumbup:

Cost & Value: 7-8/10 For less than $90 I'd say this is a nice intro to Waterman provided your nib writes well out of the box.

Posted Image

Conclusion: 36-37/50
I'd recommend this pen, as I find it a bit more aesthetically pleasing than the Perspective, which was the other "entry-level" Waterman in white that I was considering.

Sponsored Content

#2 brabus

brabus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:47

That's a beautiful pen, I like the face-lifted hemisphere it looks a lot better now with the thicker band. As well I think the clip is narrower too? Great review by the way.

Brad

#3 owenj

owenj

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:17

That's a beautiful pen, I like the face-lifted hemisphere it looks a lot better now with the thicker band. As well I think the clip is narrower too? Great review by the way.

Brad

Thanks! I just did a couple reviews in a row & realized I've been leaving off the Appearance & Design category :headsmack: I'll have to go hunt down some pics of the older Hemi to compare the bands. I can't imagine it being smaller! The clip on this one is narrower than my Expert Deluxe...hmm. I'd say it fits with this pen though since it's on the slim side.

#4 s_t_e_v_e

s_t_e_v_e

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2012 - 20:16

Great review!

The face lift does make it look better than it's predecessor, but I wish they left the diameter untouched ;)

#5 irFPN

irFPN

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2012 - 19:12

Wonderful review. I love white pens. I ordered a white hemisphere but the one with the metal cap.

#6 Saintpaulia

Saintpaulia

"Hey There!"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2012 - 21:10

I can vouch for the quality of the Waterman Hemisphere. I have one in the fine point size, and in white (I love white pens too!), and it writes more like a medium. This pen wrote right out of the box and has never looked back. It is perhaps my smoothest pen, or at the least, is neck-and-neck with my Namiki Falcon soft-medium nib. I have not experienced any hard starts or skipping whatsoever.

I have small hands for a male and the Waterman is just about perfect. It is neither too large nor too small (yes I have encountered pens that were too small even for me! but not often :happyberet: ) My pen, inked, weighs in at 22.62 grams which to me is as heavy as I like to go. But this gives my Hemisphere a feeling of "substance". It is all metal. More important, the grip section diameter is within my limits being 8.5-8.75 mm.

The Hemisphere is a bit pricey but worth every dollar. I got mine for $75 in a best offer deal on eBay with postage thrown in for free. Came in a nice Waterman box with a Waterman blue cartridge (I am still trying to figure out what blue it is! :mellow: )

HTH, Breck

Edited by Saintpaulia, 11 October 2012 - 21:11.

#7 tandaina

tandaina

Vintage

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 00:57

I have the silver Hemisphere Essential. My first "real" FP and I really like it. Mine came with a fine nib that has worked really well.

Only issue was getting the ink to flow the first time (I may not have flushed the new pen enough in my hurry to try it out) but after sitting overnight it now flows beautifully and reliably.

I'm a small handed lady and it fits me perfectly. :)

Sponsored Content

|