The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Mabie Todd Swan No 2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 olivier78860

olivier78860

Dura Flex, Sed Flex

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2011 - 14:48

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 MikeW

MikeW

Been here a long time!

• Member - Gold

• 1,277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2011 - 15:02

When I bought my first Swan (a blue snakeskin), it was love at first write. Since then, I have collected a significant number of them. In addition to being great writing pens, they come in such a wide variety of models and beautiful colours.

Thanks for the terrific review of a great pen with a wonderful nib (and the handwriting is not too shabby either!).

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

#3 Mauricio

Mauricio

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 15:04

Great review Olivier. it looks like fairly crisp chasing in your pen. I really like the larger writings in the second picture, the first and last line. They nicely represent the capabilities of the nib. Well done!
Tu Amigo!
Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net
Posted Image
E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

#4 olivier78860

olivier78860

Dura Flex, Sed Flex

• Member - Gold

• 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2011 - 15:14

Thanks for the nice comments. As a left-handed writer, I really have problems taking something good out of stub or italic nibs. I'm pretty sure someone right-handed would do marvels with such a nib.
It turns out I'm starting to have a few Mabie Todd pens, mostly eye-droppers, and I kind of like them a lot.

Posted Image

#5 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2011 - 15:16

I bekieve that your pen is much earlier than you have declared. I have a UK made one (reviewed here: http://www.fountainp...edropper-c1915/ ) and from the research I did on it the date could be any time between 1910 & 1920.

The condition of yours is superb compared to mine - treasure it.
It's lovely to use, however, I ALWAYS get inky fingers with mine, just one of those things with a pen of that age.

Lovely review & I wish my writing was as good.

Regards,

Richard.

#6 olivier78860

olivier78860

Dura Flex, Sed Flex

• Member - Gold

• 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2011 - 16:08

I longly hesitated for the datation. First thing that made me hesitate was the feed, as I thought there were only split-feeds eye-droppers from MT in the 1910s.
Secondly, this seems to be a plastic pen. The other ones I have are in hard rubber and are definitely not as shiny or preserved as this one, even if they are in a good state. But maybe they changed their production in these years.
I'm definitely not an expert, so I might be completely wrong. I have a SF1 with a lever, and a section that looks a bit like that, from the second half the the 1910s, that could give me references for a comparison, but it's in Edinburgh at the moment, for a well-deserved youth cure ;)

And sorry about the duplicate review, I should have checked before posting.

Edited by olivier78860, 07 December 2011 - 16:09.

Posted Image

#7 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2011 - 16:40

It's always useful to have lots of people's ideas on as many pens as possible. The reason is that nobody can write all the possible information & views about a pen that other people may want to know.
Also with these very old pens there is a huge amount of variation in the nibs, so one may be flexy & the next almost rigid, and it's worth knowing the range that you may encounter.

Regards,

Richard.

#8 olivier78860

olivier78860

Dura Flex, Sed Flex

• Member - Gold

• 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:13

*Update* The pen was dated by Mr Eric Wilson, aka Eckiethump, and according to him, it's a very well preserved pen from the 1910s. We could even say, because of the imprint, between 1914 and 1918. So, good guess Richard !

Posted Image

#9 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2012 - 14:11

It's nice to have a second opinion on the age of the pen, but whatever the age, it looks glorious & needs to be cherished. I hope you enjoy it.

Regards,

Richard.

Sponsored Content

|