Why Are Cross Less Charismatic Than Other Pens?

adamselene

What a great thread! Who could possibly care this much about any writing implement? (I could. Otherwise would I be reading - or writing - on FPN?)

I think the skinny pen of yore did Cross no favors. In short, it was a lousy writer. The diameter was wrong for my hand, and I reckon some others. Further, the ink in them was tarry and slow. As for the Townsend, the diameter is more comfortable, but mine is badly imbalanced when posted. She badly wants to tumble backwards out of my hand.

But wow, have they ever fixed the ink. The current 0.7 mm Gel writes as slick as eel excrement.

Full disclosure: I'm a long-standing Parker fan, but I'd be more than happy to have a go with a modern Cross FP. Ultimately, I don't think Cross will go the way of Wahl, if they sweat the engineering.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Biber

• tonydent84

• Florida Blue

• pajaro

Sorry if my question is too basic. Are Cross pens brass with chrome and not steel?

Yes... The "silvery" Cross models are made in brass and chrome plated. This plating don't last more than 15/18 years without brassing. There are no excuses for a brand who value its prestige to make brass chrome plated pens today...

Look at my horse, my horse is amazing!!!

• 3 weeks later...

As an update....

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the converter had a hairline crack in it, so I replaced it with a spare. I must say that the new converter made a world of difference - no surprise there. I've also acquired several bottles of ink and am in the process of testing each one with each pen/nib combination I have....should take quite a while, but what the heck...keeps me occupied.

I've noticed that this pen really loves Noodler's Apache Sunset (as do all of the other pens/nib combinations I've used it with so far).

The Cross Century Classic still feels a bit on the thin side to me, but in all fairness to the good people at Cross, its 14K medium nib is as smooth as any pen I have, including my MontBlancs and Pelikan.

I would agree with jslallar last two points as being some of the main reasons why Cross pens go under appreciated. Only C/C fillers, Cross lacks the prestige of the companies with longer histories in making fountain pens

I am not so sure about this being the reason. Nakayas are only C/C fillers and only started production in1999, but they are among the most charismatic pens around here

I can't speak to Cross, but Parker fountain pens are cooler because their

collectors are. :lticaptd:

But, seriously, I have never thought of it in such terms. If it is true, I would guess that

CROSS was content to market a solid, utility pen that looked pretty good. I think their

target was the "nice-pen-in-the-pocket-sign-your-name-occasionally" group. I think

their fp came very late.

For those who own and use a Cross fp, I think that you are as charismatic as anyone

else.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I think when I was younger Cross pens had more of an impact, but not so much nowadays.

Parker tends to sell "standard" looking pens at lower prices while Cross seems to be trying to sell luxury at those prices. Even when I go into Staples around the holidays, I never see even Jotters on deep discount, but I can find Cross sets for about $10-$20 that "look" luxurious but scratch their coating easily and just don't feel as valuable. It might just be psychological. It might also be the "looks" of the pens. I love the Century-style looks by Cross, but I don't think I care for ANY of their other models.

I wonder if Cross got rid of all their lower-end pens, raised prices on some iconic pens, and beefed up their ballpoint quality the way Parker has recently, if Cross would regain their "highly-desired" status. To make up for the low-end pen market, perhaps start up a second company with a different brand name.

Another thing is that Parker has had the rep since way back when. Parker already has an advantage with younger generations remembering their fathers or grandfathers using Parkers and thus have become attached to the brand through that. That's how I think I became attached to Cross...getting them as rewards for doing well on exams in school and seeing professionals use them a lot (doctors, lawyers, anyone with a business suit it seemed).

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

I wonder if Cross got rid of all their lower-end pens, raised prices on some iconic pens, and beefed up their ballpoint quality the way Parker has recently, if Cross would regain their "highly-desired" status. To make up for the low-end pen market, perhaps start up a second company with a different brand name.

Cross needs to bring back prestige to the brand. Move their iconic pens out of the Staples and discount stores and introduce lower end lines for that market under a different name. Their "Summer" sales, where they sell off their higher end pens for rock bottom prices does not help their image either. Last year they were selling their $490 Sterling silver Townsend fountains pens for something like $150 on their summer sales. Imagine Montblanc doing a summer sale and selling off their 149s for $100. What does that do to the image of their flagship pens?

The Verve is pretty darn charismatic! I would say the Apogee is too. At least, imo they are.

The Verve is pretty darn charismatic! I would say the Apogee is too. At least, imo they are.

Hey, the Verve is among the best fountainpens out there.... probably so much of a shock to Cross they decided to mothball it.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I am not so sure about this being the reason. Nakayas are only C/C fillers and only started production in1999, but they are among the most charismatic pens around here

That's true but, I think the market for Nakayas is totally different than what Cross is in. Cross is competing with Parker, Sheaffer, Waterman and Montblanc and they are selling their pens to ordinary people who are not fountain pen enthusiasts. Cross sells pens in the gift market. Nakaya is a niche brand for fountain pen enthusiasts that are looking for Japanese urushi lacquer pens. Nakayas are hand-made in small amounts and Cross pens are mass-produced in large numbers. Plus, Cross probably sells 10X as many ballpoints than they do fountain pens and that's what they seem to focus on.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.