Starwalker

Chris

I have, and love, a MB 145 Chopin courtesy of Eurostar.

I now have enough points to get another pen from them and I find they have changed to the Starwalker in place of the 145.

Should I get one?

Do you like yours, and why?

My reservation is that I hear it is cartridge only and I use ink from bottles and can't really imagine re-filling cartriges - or does it take standard size cartridges (like Visconti blue - which is lovely)?

Sorry, lots of questions....

Chris

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris

• kenny

• RSVP

• marklavar

Top Posters In This Topic

The Starwalker is a lovely pen with an extremely smooth nib and good flow. It has a very striking design and is more usable than a Meisterstuck in that the cap may be screwed on instead of pushed on to post. It takes the standard small size international cartridges.

I've had the metal and rubber Starwalker since it came out and I really like it. The nib may be of a different shape, but it writes extremely well. I would prefer a piston filler version, but I got one of James Partridges' "The Write Fill" and I use it to refill the cartridges with the ink of my choice. Refilling cartridges works quite well for me as I don't have to clean the nib after filling the pen like you have to do with a piston or converter filler.

As mentioned above, one of the nice features of the Starwalker is that the cap can be screwed onto the pen without leaving any damage (no matter how minute) to the barrel.

Hope this helps,

Michael

I have the black resin Starwalker and love it :)9 .... I use it every day, even at the supermarket checking off my shopping list!

It combines a traditional cigar shaped pen with a modern twist. The nib is beautifully smooth and free flowing and its not heavy.

I was doubtful of the cartridge only fill system, but it has not been a bother at all, I keep a box of cartridges in my pen case and pop a new one in when I need to.

I would highly reccommend this pen.

Dawn

Edited by Dawn

Thank you all. I guess a call to Eurostar is the next step to being a Starwalker owner - some payback for all those journeys!

Chris

Guest Saints1976
What is Eurostar, anyway, and why does it make you eligible for MB pens?

The Eurostar is the fast train which travels through the Channel Tunnel. I assume they must give loyalty rewards or something similar which can be traded in for pens and other such stuff.

I have never used it myself - there is one major problem with the Channel Tunnel - France is at the other end :)

I love the Starwalker.It has a smart design and I heard they are wonderful writers.

The only thing I could say is that I love the classic look of the Masterpiece family if compared to the Skywalker,other than that its a great pen.You can always fill the pen with the converter straight out of the ink bottle.

ENJOY

Respect to all

Is the medium nib on the Starwalker as broad as it is on the Meisterstuck series? I find MB medium nibs too broad for my liking.

By the way, I have it confirmed that the Starwalker will accept international size cartridges and converters.

• 7 months later...

I have got the Starwalker - very nice - but I'm having a problem finding a converter to fit and I really don't want to be stuck with cartridges or having to refil cartridges. The International size converter from Waterman does not fit - small flutes in the section prevent the converter from seating home (and I'm not going to push).

The Waterman converter has a metal band around the opening of the converter - perhaps there is one form another maker that is all pastic and which could push home OK. Does anyone know?

Chris

Starwalkers are very nice looking pens but how the nib is made and the feed is very different to the meisterstuck or boheme. On the star walker it has very little flex to it and I work in a pen shop I get to try all of theses pens out as much as I like. But the pens is not as good as the chopin try going for a 146 or a different looking boheme. Don’t get me Wong they are good pens but its not the nib type that mont blanc are known for.

You are perfectly correct in that the Starwalker nib is much firmer than my Chopin 145 and I have to hold it at a more upright angle. However, I rather fancy using it as my travelling pen (the idea of the cap screwing onto the barrel to stop it getting lost is what attracts me to that plan) for jotting notes on memo cards, doing the crossword in the train - that sort of thing - and want to use something other than MD cartridges in it.

Maybe an expensive pen for kicking around, but it ought to be reasonably tough and I did not have to pay hard cash for it.

I'll have to visit a local pen store to try out some other converters in person I think. If I find one that does fit, I'll let you all know.

Chris

Actually it's a good idea to own at least one pen that is 'cartridge only'. It makes a good pen for travelling.

This is a good point. Still, I dislike using cartridges and sometimes I take (carefully packed) bottled ink...love those piston fillers.

OK, I have had my Starwalker for about 3 months...got it at the Chicago Pen Show, from the Fountain Pen Hospital table. Got it new.

It is the traditional plastic/resin rather than the rubber one.

I have to say, it is my least favorite MB. If it wasn't for the fact that I got it at a show price rather than the usual MB Boutique price, I would have really felt cheated.

It's not exactly a "bad" pen, but it just feels cheap. The snap-on feed cover can come off at times. It just doesn't feel like a high quality pen.

The nib is not quite as smooth and repsonsive as other MBs, let alone other brands (such as my OMAS or Sailor).

I have a mixture of cartridge and bottle-fill pens, which I use for different reasons. I have better cartridge pens, including my Boheme.

Overall, when comparing with my (fixed nib) Boheme:

Both have threads to screw the cap on to post when in use, which I like.

Both are cartridge fillers, but I CAN use a converter in the Boheme if I want to do so. There is no convenient converter option for my Starwalker.

The Starwalker is thinner and longer than the Boheme; I have large hands, so the diameter of the Boheme is actually a plus for me. The Boheme length posted is just fine for me.

The Boheme seems to feel more "substantial" than the Starwalker.

The Boheme nib is traditional nib, and I think the feel is superior to the Starwalker.

All-in-all, if I have my Boheme, why do I need a Starwalker? I have found more and more that the Boheme is the one I choose to use between the two. Since I got if for the show price, it's OK to have to round out my collection, but it turns out that it is not the pen I reach for these days.

• 2 weeks later...

was just at the Mont Blanc store... is there anywhere to get a Starwalker for less than retail but be authentic? Im a poor man with rich mans eyes..

thanks,

david

Edited by bandityo

Yes - make lots of journeys through the Eurostar tunnel first class between London and Brussels and they'll give you one for free :rolleyes:

But otherwise, I don't know - sorry.

Chris