The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Balance Oversize

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lothianjavert

Lothianjavert

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 23:38

I finally got a Sheaffer Oversize Balance :bunny01:. It is quite a big pen, and very light. The size, shape and balance make it comfortable to use posted and unposted. This is an older Balance, with the long humped ball clip. It is fairly ambered, and the clip and band are brassed, but it is perfect user pen and it is already in the rotation. The nib is a very firm fine nib, which is what all of my Sheaffer pens seem to have. It is very smooth, even for being one of the finest nibs in my collection. The flow is great, and especially with a fine nib, one good fill lasts a long time. I've used it the past couple days at work and it is a great comfortable and dependable writer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dwarfing my Vac Major:
Posted Image

Even the nib makes the nib on the Vac Major look tiny.
Posted Image

Now if only I can find one of these with a factory stub!

Sponsored Content

#2 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2011 - 00:29

That's a nice pen. I am looking for this plastic in the preceding flat top style but I have an OS Balance in black which I like. This post has prompted me to give it a run soon. :)
My pen photo galleries - Reorganised

#3 anaximander

anaximander

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 00:54

Lovely pen! I found one of these on ebay as well, but payed quite a bit more than you did. Congrats on a good deal!

#4 Hangglidernerd

Hangglidernerd

Retro-grouch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:53

That's a great looking pen.Your Vacumatic is nice as well.I love the looks and feel of celluloid.
I got my first balance today.A little tiny one.Cleaned it up and put a new sac in it.Great little pen.Now I am cursed with the desire to hunt down different sizes and colours.

http://www.fountainp..._1#entry2175219

Edited by Hangglidernerd, 04 December 2011 - 01:55.

#5 DrPJM1

DrPJM1

Oversize Balance

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:59

OS Balance are my favourite pens as they are light in weight, large in all dimensions but very comfortable to use due to their balance.
Most Sheaffer nibs are manifold fine nibs -stiff fine- but are very smooth with very good feel and flow. Other sizes, flexible, and stub were available.
just as most vintage pens, condition can drive up prices considerably, especially for the earliest celluloids (Jade Green, Black & Pearl, Blue).

Your pen, with the long, humped, ball clip and with a pinned lever, dates to 1929 to early 1930. Enjoy it in good health!
Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

#6 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:47

Owning three vac fill balances, I can only agree with you about their qualities. congrats on the pen :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#7 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:01

An OS Balance is on my must own list...thanks for the review!
This post contains 100% recycled electrons

#8 Kelly G

Kelly G

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,446 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:52

Good review of a great pen. I own several and find them comfortable and reliable. One of my favorite pen models and a standard for the industry.
May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

#9 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 2,251 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 18:39

It's taken this long to deal with my jealousy: I've looked for this exact pen, at even a reasonable price, with the long humped clip, for a long time.

You found a really wonderful pen. Don't leave it laying around FPN unattended!

gary

PS - though I do have a B & P flat top with a factory stub

Edited by gary, 25 December 2011 - 18:40.

Sponsored Content

|