Anyone Like Pencils?

bdws1975

hey there,

where did you get the cool metal thing on a couple of the pencil?

and what is it?

brett

love them! Mech Pencils and Wood Pencils are my other writing instrument of choice.

here are some of the ones i use:

pencil cup on the desk:

three of my fav:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/PC050010.jpg

my file cabinet drawer:

Esterbrook SJ with Levenger Empyrean Blue.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bdws1975

• SamCapote

• XiaoMG

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and the pencil tip cover!

hey there,

and what is it?

brett

love them! Mech Pencils and Wood Pencils are my other writing instrument of choice.

pencil cup on the desk:

three of my fav:

my file cabinet drawer:

Esterbrook SJ with Levenger Empyrean Blue.

Pencils are useful for unplugging sinks. Oh and the rubber bit on the end can clean stuff as well

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Pencils are useful for unplugging sinks. Oh and the rubber bit on the end can clean stuff as well

The Blackwing eraser won't fit in your ear.

I have yet to find a sharpening solution that works better than a decent rotary sharpener. I believe JetPens sells one from Mitsubishi that should be good, and products from Carl in Japan are good too, if you can find them. They produce exceptionally long, slightly concave points that last a while. Far better than any of the handheld bladed sharpener junk I've tried (including that mediocre Kum Automatic Long Point sharpener that some people like to hype). I keep a couple sharpened pens in a wrap and they usually last me most of the day. If I have to do a LOT of writing, I switch to a 2mm leadholder with an awesome little lead pointer.

If you're looking for a high-end pencil, I recommend the top-end Japanese offerings from Mitsubishi and Tombow. They lack erasers, but there are no better pencils made anywhere today. Sadly, the prices from JetPens are a bit high...you can find them quite a bit cheaper through Japanese retailers like pencils.jp, and you can even buy them as singles to try out.

This is David Rees work, isn't it?

OK, TECHNOLOGY, WHY ISN^T THE PIC OF THE SHARP PENCIL SHOWING?????:embarrassed_smile:

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

and the pencil tip cover!

hey there,

and what is it?

brett

pencil cup on the desk:

three of my fav:

my file cabinet drawer:

got them here:

http://www.pencilthings.com/category-s/43.htm

alas, they are running out of a lot of their stock -they don't have the metal point protectors anymore and it seems they're running out of the clips too!!

Nothing. smells more like a happy childhood then pencils, books and ink Love Derwent and Charisma. Are the Japanese pencils better?? Who makes the best leads?

I was never in love with wooden pencils, the main difficulty with them is consistency. They loose sharpness very fast and you have to re-sharp them often, which it self wastes quite some lead in the process. I was never able to sharp the pencil well with a knife, and has to do it with a sharpener. Also I hated the fact that they kept grew shorter, and there is always one point where the pencil is too short to hold but too long to throw away and think it is not a waste. For me they are never permanent.

When I was allowed to have a mechanical pencil as I became old enough in school, I immediately switched and never looked back (unless for sketching classes etc). Also what I find annoying with pencils, is that the writing is somewhat temporary. The lead diffuses in time, the diffusion makes the words written a bit fuzzy, pale and makes the page look dirty.

I still remember the day when our teachers told us we were old enough to use a fountain pen, and the feeling of writing with a fountain pen for the first time---a real pen---and with a line that is vivid blue, not boring black. :cloud9:

I do love the smell of the wooden pencils, and I love the look and feel of the wood. But that is it. The wooden pencil is more attractive to me unused.

Edited by wtlh

This is David Rees work, isn't it?

OK, TECHNOLOGY, WHY ISN^T THE PIC OF THE SHARP PENCIL SHOWING?????:embarrassed_smile:

Nope, it's a cheap Taiwanese rotary sharpener by the company SDI, similar to the Carl CP-300. The Mitsubishi sharpener at JetPens and the Carl Decade and other models produce similar points. Make sure you get one with rubber-padded jaws so it doesn't chew up your pencil.

I gave a similar sharpener to a friend of mine, who I discovered was a pencil user and compulsive IKEA pencil thief. She absolutely fell in love with the long points, and she loves to look at freshly sharpened pencils to admire the clean, elegant shape they leave. Nothing at all like those cheap pocket sharpeners. If I hadn't come across one of these sharpeners, I probably would not be nearly as much of a pencil geek.

Robert.

Before I bought a fountain pen I would only use wooden pencils. Initially the reason was no one would borrow a wooden pencil at work. Pens and Mechanical pencils would have legs and go off for a wander.

For those looking to accessorise their pencils..

Pencil point protectors. There are plastic as well as metal. The metal are more expensive and harder to get.

They do have the problem though that they don't fit all pencil sizes and can mark the pencil if forced on.

Pencil clips. These allow you to clip the pencil onto a shirt pocket, lanyard, etc. I found a set of cheap mechanical pencils, that were something like $2 for 8, that could have the clip taken off and it fit really nicely onto the pencil.

Pencil extenders. These allow you to continue using the pencil when it gets down to a small point. Again there's the metal and wooden variety. The wooden variety has a metal collar that grips the very end of a pencil. Using these you can get down to the last 1/2 cm of the pencil.

I don't like erasers on the tops of my pencils. I just find that they don't work as well as the hand held variety and they end up looking nasty.

I like the idea of a dark line, but don't like sharpening that often, so normally flip between a B, HB, and H. Though of course for every brand this is different.

I better stop now, considering this is a fountain pen forum.

Edited by New_Falcon

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

I go back and forth with pencils and pens. I tend to prefer the pencils in warmer weather because I can take them to the beach for writing. Don't want sand near my pens. I love the Blackwing 602, Hi Unis and Palomino . . . but for serious writing, my black Ticonderogas and General's SemiHex take the cake. They can go for a long time without sharpening.

My parents had a Boston rotary pencil sharpener that put a perfectly perfect point on the pencil every time. It was mounted in the basement of the house. When they moved out of my childhood home, the one and only momento I requested was that pencil sharpener. I still have it. If my house catches fire, the firefighters are going to have to chop it off the wall, 'cause I ain't leaving without it.

"Malt does more than Milton can to justify God's ways to man." - A. E. Housman

Yes, I LOVE pencils but I usually use them for drawing , not writing.

I've tried all kinds, clutch, mechanical, woodless, but I always seem to come back to the wooden ones. My favorite is a no-name freebie that I got at the Ocean County Fair a while ago :embarrassed_smile: . It lays down such a nice line .. not too slick so I feel like I have control. I would choose that pencil over any of the name brands that I have tried. Unfortunately it is no more than a stump now :(.

I was never in love with wooden pencils, the main difficulty with them is consistency. They loose sharpness very fast and you have to re-sharp them often, which it self wastes quite some lead in the process. I was never able to sharp the pencil well with a knife, and has to do it with a sharpener. Also I hated the fact that they kept grew shorter, and there is always one point where the pencil is too short to hold but too long to throw away and think it is not a waste. For me they are never permanent.

Go to a half decent art shop. Since all art students are, by definition, poor look for a sandpaper block and a pencil extender. We don't like throwing away lead anymore than you do. The sandpaper is used to put a point back on the pencil (or flatten a side of the lead) without sharpening. The extender slips over the end of the +$1 pencil so you can use the stub.