The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Two Very Different Pens From A Newbis Perspective

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TonySMJC

TonySMJC

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 15:43

I do confess to liking wet smooth pens. And these two pens deliver. While the stub does have some tooth, it is very nice for a stub which I would expect to have a lot more.

I do not have any great paper so the yellow legal pads I have will have to do. While I can see a lot of feathering in the scan, it’s not nearly as bad on the page to my eye.

I used Aurora Black in the Homo Sapiens
And Noodlers Manhattan black in the Nakaya.

The Nib on the Nakaya was done by Nibs.com and it is very nice

The nib on the Visconti is a stock 23 K Palladium “F” the pens from Pen time and has not been modified. This nib from what I know requires a light touch so I did not press at all to even attempt line variation.
I have no experience with Stubs but it starts right up and writes in any position. Even I get some line variation out of it and I use a light touch and really have no writing skills at all.

Sorry the site only allowed me to load the pics of the pens
The attached files are hand written with some lines and squigels
Please refrain from laughing at my hand writting ( what the heck go ahead and laugh I Do)

Attached Images

• v H S 2.JPG

Attached Files

Edited by TonySMJC, 03 December 2011 - 15:45.

Sponsored Content

#2 WendyNC

WendyNC

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 15:46

Nothing like starting at the top--excellent choices there. A fresh grind will often feel just a little toothy but will smooth out with use. Enjoy!
I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

#3 Brian C

Brian C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 15:48

More pics of the Nakaya please. I've been wanting one of these for a while.

#4 TonySMJC

TonySMJC

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 15:54

wendy

I have made a decision to only purchase " expensive Pens" well Expensive at least to my wallet.

If I was to start with pens I could afford or worse very inexpensive pens .I know myself I would end up with 100s if not 1000s of Pens
It would be a slippery slope for ME

this way I will only be able to make a few purchases per year ( well this years been BAD)

and keep things manageabel

I would assume to only be able to buy 2 to 4 pens per year at this level.

#5 TonySMJC

TonySMJC

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 15:57

Heraclitus

I only have a group shot My avitar and a bad I phone shot of the nib

I will attempt to take a few more with my SLR in the next few days
I will post or send them if you like

If I dont get it done and you really want em feel free to poke me with a pm as sometimes I get busy
but I have been meaning to take some photos anyway

#6 Brian C

Brian C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 15:59

Yes, please send me some if you don't post any. How does the plastic section feel? How is the length? Does it post well?

#7 TonySMJC

TonySMJC

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 16:44

The plastic section is............. well smooth plastic
its a very nice pen to hold for me, my hands are not huge but they are a large in a glove and I find the pen comfortable to write with ,on the small side of my range and the visconti is on the large side of my comfort range

If anthing a little small unposted and really nice posted the only real issue is at least for me I will not post it
I lightly posted it to measure it but thats it no more posting

The visconti on the other hand is very nice unposted but a bit awkward posted

no

#8 Laura N

Laura N

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,651 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 17:45

wendy

I have made a decision to only purchase " expensive Pens" well Expensive at least to my wallet.

If I was to start with pens I could afford or worse very inexpensive pens .I know myself I would end up with 100s if not 1000s of Pens
It would be a slippery slope for ME

this way I will only be able to make a few purchases per year ( well this years been BAD)

and keep things manageabel

I would assume to only be able to buy 2 to 4 pens per year at this level.

I think that's a smart strategy. I'm on the dozens-of-pens path, myself. I love the trying of new things, but the downside is the accumulation. So I wish I had your resolve. This way you're going to end up with a good size set of special pens. And thanks for sharing your impressions with us.

#9 jde

jde

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,694 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 20:04

Very nice selection, Tony! And your desire to limit your collection by buying upwards is a smart strategy. Although in my case I would call it buying only those pens I truly want and not just those pens I can afford. Uh, that sounds a bit funny, but it means over time I can afford the pens I want.

Edited to say: if the stub is not quite to your liking on that Nakaya, Nibs.com aka John will adjust it for you. He did the stub grind on my Nakaya Piccolo. I emphasized that smoothness was more important than variation (just enough to give my scrawl a bit of flair!). I love it! But it is not classically smooth, and that is the characteristic of the Nakaya nib. It's smooth with some feeling. Posted Image

Edited by jde, 03 December 2011 - 20:07.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

#10 TonySMJC

TonySMJC

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2011 - 13:35

Tried to up load a few new shots but I guess Im out of room will try emailing to those who requested them

Sponsored Content

|