My First Parker 51, Forest Green Aerometric From 1949

Korybas

My fellow FP nuts,

I am so happy today! My Grail Pen arrived: A Parker "51", Forest Green Aerometric from 1949! :bunny01:

I was searching for this particular pen for sometime now, and finally 15 days ago I found it on Ebay UK, at a very affordable price: the seller was asking 85 British pounds for it, I offered 60 (about 95 USD) and he accepted! The pen had a Oblique Medium 14K nib, but since I am addicted to stub nibs now (yeah Ghost Plane, you did manage to corrupt me! :headsmack: ) and the seller was only shipping to the UK, I had him sent the pen to Oxonian, so he would put one of his 14K British wide Medium Stubs. In fact, we made a deal and he kept the OM and put his nib at no extra cost for me.

The pen has no scratches or dents whatsoever - in fact it is in Mint condition and was ultrasonically cleaned by the seller. The pen is correctly dated as 9. (3rd quarter of 1949), was made in the USA, has a gold filled long clip on a lustraloy cap with a mother of pearl jewel on top.

See the photos and tell me your opinion. I think its a very good find and at an affordable price:

fpn_1322670580__p51-1.jpg

fpn_1322670654__p51-2.jpg

The ink I use in it is Noodler's Prime of the Commons; it has this greenish tint that goes well with the Forest Green of the "51" ...

I am soooo happy that if I could I would jump up high and clap my heels together ! :roflmho:

Edited by Korybas
fpn_1355507962__snailbadge.png

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Korybas

• OcalaFlGuy

• BillyL

• wvbeetlebug

Congratulations! You have a wonderful pen in a great color ... I also am very fond of the gold clip on lustraloy. That nib is quite awesome as well ,,, I'd say you have a lifetime keeper :thumbup:

+1 on the Gold trimmed Lustraloy, I've bought gold clips/tassels for two of my Aeros.

My Aeros with CI/Stubs are my two most favorite pens.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Congratulations, that is a beautiful pen, great prize, and great deal!

Enjoy it in good health.

A Fountain Pen is never just a Fountain Pen.

Mmmm. I sure wish mine had the gold clip (although I shall manage to endure the chrome trim, somehow ;) )

$15 or so from Ernesto for the clips. (I've gotten one for $15, one for $20.)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Where is the year? I have my grandmother's P51 (the nib has just been reground!) and although we are almost certain it was made in 1943 it would still be good to confirm this.

It is a very nice pen! I gave my best friend a P51 for her birthday and she was over the moon! I don't know whether you come across many people in their 20's who get excited about fountain pens...

Where is the year? I have my grandmother's P51 (the nib has just been reground!) and although we are almost certain it was made in 1943 it would still be good to confirm this.

Quoting from Richard Binder's site (RichardsPens.com) :

The First System: 1932 to c. 1955

At the right end of the barrel imprint, look for a one- or two-digit number followed by one or more dots. (Some pens also have a date code on the nib.) Early pens have two digits. In this code, the second digit represents the last digit of the year of manufacture. The first digit represents the quarter of the year; 1 indicates the first quarter (January through March), and so on. Thus, a pen with a date code of 46 was made in the fourth quarter of 1936. During the second quarter of 1938, the first digit disappears, to be replaced by a system of dots in which three dots indicate the first quarter, two indicate the second quarter, and one indicates the third quarter. If there are no dots, the pen was made in the fourth quarter. A pen with a date code of 9. was made in the third quarter of 1939.

So, look near the metal ring, on the barrel. If your pen was made in 1943, it should have a 3 with one, two or three dots (no dots if it was made in the last quarter of 1943). On my P51, it says Made in USA and then it has a 9. (one dot); it cannot be from 1939, because its an Aerometric (which was introduced in 1948), so its 1949 (3rd Quarter).

You can also find tons of information about "51" at parker51.com . Hope this helps!

Its nice to hear that today, while the majority of people have forgotten how to write and can only type, there are still persons in their 20s that get excited about FP! :thumbup: I certainly haven't seen this here in Greece!

Edited by Korybas

congrats on a nice writer :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Good for you! That gold clip contrasts nicely with it. I have a 45 in green with a steel cap and the gold clip, and it's a great combination.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Nice 51, forest green 51s are not so easy to come by. Classy colour, reminds me of Jaguar's British racing green.

Thank you! :embarrassed_smile:

Your comment was on the money!

Classy colour, reminds me of Jaguar's British racing green.

+ a lot

it's so true!

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

Classy colour, reminds me of Jaguar's British racing green.

+ a lot

it's so true!

As opposed to the Lotus BRG which was lighter.

One of my Sunbeam Tigers was the darker BRG. :drool:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Congratulations on finding your grail pen. I, also found a couple of Parker 51's. Today, I went through my father's stuff that he put away, in a White Owl cigar box. Inside, there were 2 Parker 51's. One, a vacumatic and the other, a 1948 Aerometric. I'm cleaning them up right now. The Aerometric's sac is still in good condition and holds ink well with no leakage. The Vacumatic is not as well preserved. I think that some outside attention is going to be needed. Cool find today. Now, a bit of clean up to do. Anybody know, what to use to clean up the gold cap? Quite a bit of tarnish (dirt) around the jewel/clip.