Philadelphia Pen Collectors Group

Tom L

When might the Philly pen club might meet again?

That is a question that was asked on one of the other boards this evening.

Does it still exist?

One response was that we formalize the get-togethers that I've set up at the Sheraton in Langhorne.

The answer is, at least in part, that, coincidently, I just spoke with Bob Mand, the organizer of the more formal Philadelphia Pen Club, earlier today. I had also been wondering what was up, and was concerned that Bob may have run into some kind of health problem or something, which thankfully was not the case.

Bob and I discussed having a meeting either the 2nd or 3rd weekend after the Philly Pen Show at his office, and we'll have handouts with that date at the Show. (I'll make sure that it's on all the boards too.)

As for our more informal get-togethers in Langhorne, I'm game any time! Thursday evenings work the best for me but I'd set it up any time there are two people that want to hang out.

What say? Anyone want to get together a week from tomorrow, Thursday the 14th, from 6-8:30 in Langhorne?

-Tom

Edited by Tom L

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom L

• Rick Krantz

• GregM

• Elaine

Below is the most recent email sent from the group's organizer, Bob Mand:

To: Philadelphia Pen Collectors Group Members

The next meeting of the Philadelphia Pen Collectors Group will be held from 11:00am to 1:00pm on Saturday, February 17, 2007 in our firm's conference room at the CIRA Centre in Philadelphia (directions below).

Speaker

We are pleased to have one of our group members, Antonios Zavaliangos, a professor at Drexel University, speak about some aspects of pens that most of us don't get to hear about. Antonios will discuss:

1 - Materials for nibs - especially flex

2 - Degradation in pens - oxidation of hard rubber, crystallization and corrosion

3 - Flex nibs - identification, characteristics, performance and how to avoid damage

Antonios has assured me that an engineering degree is not a prerequisite to understanding the topic. His presentation will be understandable and useful. We hope that you will be able to attend. Coffee and bagels, as usual.

As usual, folks are encouraged to bring their pens for show and tell, and also to buy/sell.

Directions

The actual address of the CIRA Centre is 2929 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. You can find the address on map quest or it can be easily recognized as "that new glass building" next to 30th Street Train Station. It is the building that is shaped kind of funny with colored lights at night. We'll be in Suite 600, immediately when you get off of the elevator on the 6th floor.

If you drive, there's an Amtrak parking garage attached to the building. Exit the Schuylkill Expressway at 30th Street, and the building if right there. If you take on the many regional rail lines directly to 30th Street Station, you also won't have to walk outside to get to the building (2nd floor connecting bridge direct from station). If you run into any problems, you can call my direct office line at 267-298-2010. I'm not sure what I will be able to do, but I'll be sympathetic to whatever happened and how you got lost.

Photo ID

It's important you let me know if you are coming, so I can notify the security desk in advance. You'll need photo ID with you.

I hope as many as possible will be able to make it to the meeting. There's support in numbers, and it's good to know that there are others out there with the same affliction.

Regards to all.

Bob Mand

I'm going to try and make it. TOO early in the day for those of us who have to DRIVE long distances, and have KIDS!

looking forward to it.

http://www.chiltonpens.com/images/displaystyle.jpg

Sonnet,

No formal joining to attend, but because Bob's office is a secure building you do need to let him know you're coming (or might) so he can have your name at the door.

Tom,

I tried to let Bob know via the e-mail link on the website for the Philly pen club, and it does not work!!!!

Help!

I want to be there!

Let's get a roll call going!

I'm in for the 17th. I will be there.

Looks like the email address was tagged like it was a web page address.

It can be copied and pasted into an email, but I've also forwarded your message and let Bob know about the issue.

How about any of our New Jersey, and New York friends?

any of them plan to attend?

Also, if you are local to me, Lancaster County way...

let me know, I might be interested in loading up my car for the trek down.

It's a lonely drive.

Preliminary plan, meet at the Denver (route 222) turnpike exchange, in Adamstown, I'll even drive. Snow or Shine.

PM or e-mail me backchannel

I wish I could make it. I'm in Altoona, a 4.5 hr drive away but I'll be working in Alabama that week. One of these days the stars will align and I'll finally get to attend a meeting.

I wish I could make it. I'm in Altoona, a 4.5 hr drive away but I'll be working in Alabama that week. One of these days the stars will align and I'll finally get to attend a meeting.

Altoona, okay, maybe my drive isn't too bad... :o

Full disclosure...I have a son in grad school at UPenn and a sister in Levittown. My trip wouldn't be entirely pen related. The pen club meeting would round out the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is going to the Philly club meeting, and wants either my lead case, or display case, let me know...

here are the links...

PM me backchannel

http://www.chiltonpens.com/images/philly/display1.JPG

http://www.chiltonpens.com/images/philly/lead1.JPG

just getting back into the groove, not gonna make it. One vehicle + 2 kids, no vehicle for my wife to drive, and need to pick her up at work = no philly pen club meeting for me. Hopefully, I can fix this issue within a few days....

Sorry everyone

Best!

Rick

Besides, I owe a ton of pens to people, since the accident has incapacitated me for days here, I need to get a move on things here. That's what I feel the worst about.

sad.gif

The 15 people who attended the meeting this past Saturday had a great time and were treated to an informative presentation on flex nibs by our own Antonios Zavaliangos.

The presentation addressed:

• What are the characteristics that make a nib flexible
  • How to recognize flexible nibs
  • Writing samples with flexible nibs
and was accompanied by illustrations on PowerPoint slides and pens from Antonios' collection.

Antonios is a wonderful speaker, enhanced I'm sure by his love of the subject. The attendees included experienced and novice collectors and the presentation included material to keep all interested and involved.

The 15 attendees included a mix of those who have been to the previous two meetings and some who have not. Alriel and Elaine, my good friends from the upper half of NJ joined us!

Bob Mand is an excellent host. We meet in the conference room of his office which is in a building attached to 30th Street Station on one side and an indoor garage on the other. Bob provided coffee, donuts, and some top-notch muffins. He has been working on a list of prospective speakers for upcoming meetings.

There are no dues for "membership" and Bob figures that'll probably stay that way since there is a charge for parking.

If you have interest in being on the mailing list for upcoming meetings either shoot Bob an email, or let me know and I'll pass him your name. Bob maintains a website for the group: Philadelphia Pen Collectors Group