Visconti Update About Purple Ink And Update On Their Web Page

Korybas

I've just spotted a Visconti purple ink for sale on the Cult Pens website. Does this mean it's here?

I've just had another look and it looks to me like it is. So I've ordered it! Hurrah!

Edited by plipule

<span style='color:purple'>George

UK</span>

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Angeldust

• Korybas

• beurling

• colex

Indeed, Purple is shipping from cult pens! I received mine the day after ordering- unfortunately the ink looks... almost nothing like it does in that one magical review. Such a shame.

“You either suffer the pain of discipline or you suffer the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs in ounces while regret weighs in tons.”

Jim Rohn

Indeed, Purple is shipping from cult pens! I received mine the day after ordering- unfortunately the ink looks... almost nothing like it does in that one magical review. Such a shame.

At least four possible reasons for your disapointment.

1 - The "magical review" scan was perhaps not accurate

2- You used a dry nib

3- Ink colour sometimes differ between batches and the original batch was different from the one you purchased.

4- There was some ink residue in your fountain pen, and it affected the ink.

All the best

Patrick

1) possible

2) unlikely- BCI Homo Sapiens nib, aka, the firehose.

3) possible- but a real shame if that's the case. The ink I'm using looks a lot like Sandy1's review- which makes me think that actually my ink's ok.

4) possible, but unlikely.

“You either suffer the pain of discipline or you suffer the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs in ounces while regret weighs in tons.”

Jim Rohn

Mine turned up today and I'm with Angeldust. It's purple, but not the colour that we all got so excited about. It is indeed like the purple in Sandy1's review. What a shame. I've tried it in a number of pens, including a dip pen, and on a variety of papers, but no hint of that glorious colour that others reported. Disappointing.

<span style='color:purple'>George

UK</span>

No doubt that this Visconti Purple is not as "vibrant" like in Korybas review, and Sandy1 test confirmed it ...

Can someone be kind to suggest a purple ink to resemble that of the "magic reviews" ... If exits already?!

The Diamine Bilberry maybe?

http://i.imgur.com/0bVgL.jpg

The Sargasso Sea is very nice, but I do not know if it's still for sale to the public, too bad!

pens: Aurora * Delta * Esterbrook * Goldfink * Kaweco * Montblanc * OMAS * Parker * Pelikan * Pilot * Sheaffer * Stilnova * Stipula * TWSBI * Visconti * Waterman

inks: Aurora * Delta * Diamine * J.Herbin * Pelikan * Pilot Iroshizuku * MB * Noodler's * Omas * Sailor * Visconti * Waterman

Bilberry is incredibly dark, carries a sheen with it, but isn't anything like the original review.

I recall that there was a s ila instance a few years back concerning a review of Caran d'ache Storm that showed up hugely more vibrant in the scan than it was IRL. ,aybe some scanners just over intensify purple?

Has anyone else noticed that the purple actually doesn't even shade that well?

Jim Rohn

Thank you for the suggestion. In the reviews seen on FPN (Sandy1) the Caran d'Ache Storm is not much pale for my tastes!

pens: Aurora * Delta * Esterbrook * Goldfink * Kaweco * Montblanc * OMAS * Parker * Pelikan * Pilot * Sheaffer * Stilnova * Stipula * TWSBI * Visconti * Waterman

inks: Aurora * Delta * Diamine * J.Herbin * Pelikan * Pilot Iroshizuku * MB * Noodler's * Omas * Sailor * Visconti * Waterman

i just received my bottle of Visconti Purple from Cult Pens.

Mine too was much closer to Sandy1's review..i'll post my scan later...

I'm dissappointed that it didn't turn out like the original scans..but it's still a lovely ink if not the colour I had originally envisaged

Mk1 Parker Duofold Centennial in Blue Marble + GT, Medium arrow nib + broad italic aces nib.Owned since new.Parker Victory Black + GT, wet medium.Conway Stewart #388 Stub.

Mabie Todd Blackbird,semi Flex Nib.Aurora optima green auroloid Stub.Visconti voyger emerald green Broad. Waterman 92 Fine flex

www.hmshood.com The Official website of the late great HMS Hood

✃ snip

✃ snip ✁

Bilberry is incredibly dark, carries a sheen with it, but isn't anything like the original review.

I recall that there was a s ila instance a few years back concerning a review of Caran d'ache Storm that showed up hugely more vibrant in the scan than it was IRL. ,aybe some scanners just over intensify purple?

Has anyone else noticed that the purple actually doesn't even shade that well?

Caran d'Ache Storm reviewed: http://www.fountainp...m/#entry2141705

I believe that VP has good shading potential; from my Review 'Visconti Purple - Regular Production' LINK :

"
Shading:

• Oh yes!
    :clap1:
  • Can be suppressed or encouraged by astute choice of pen and paper.

. . .

Variability:

• Malleability:
    • Fairly high.
    • Contrary to usual practice, the wily practitioner would
      choose their paper first, to establish line density and shading potential
      , then choose the writer to establish the line width and shape, and tune the line density and extent of the shading.
    • While VP is malleable, I consider it to be quite predictable, so it should not drive one to distraction. But if it does, it should be enjoyable. (You do have a safe word, yes?)
      "

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

No doubt that this Visconti Purple is not as "vibrant" like in Korybas review, and Sandy1 test confirmed it ...

Can someone be kind to suggest a purple ink to resemble that of the "magic reviews" ... If exits already?!

http://i.imgur.com/0bVgL.jpg

The Sargasso Sea is very nice, but I do not know if it's still for sale to the public, too bad!

In the "Dramatic, with Terrific Shading" category, I point you to Black Swan in North African Violets, a recipe ink, easy to mix up.

UPDATE: I like the less dramatic but great shading ink of Rohrer & Klingner Eisen-Gallus-Tinte Scabiosa (Iron/Gall Nut-ink Scabiosa Purple)

Edited by januaryman

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Thanks to all for answer...

I'm waiting for delivery of these inks:

- Visconti Viola/Purple, - Pilot Iroshizuku ASA-GAO - Diamine Sargasso Sea

- Diamine Bilberry

.... To write on FPN a small comparative test.

Bye

Sandy, so sorry if I wasn't clear- I wasn't referring to your review of Storm, I was referring to this one https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47889&pid=453316&st=0entry453316 in which it can be seen to be much more vibrant than it is in real life. My comment pertaining to the fact that this is the second purple ink to be reviewed in which it's seemed much more vibrant than it is in real life.

Jim Rohn

I thought I'd add my scans to the mix...

The first scan below is a fairly good and accurate representation of what i got using a wet writing BB Italic nib ( Pilot )

It looks like i see it on paper ( on my dell widescreen monitor at any rate )

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/viscontipurple1.jpg

the next two i was mucking about in my HDR Program...the below is an extreme change...

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/viscontipurplehalo.jpg

and the final one is a much more gentle smoothing and tinkering with minor settings....

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/Ink%20Reviews/viscontipurplehdr.jpg

The reason for the 3 different scans ( the original at the top is 600dpi ) is to show how it can look different depending on machine settings...

Aside from being abit bright the first picture is a fairly accurate representation of visconti purple...

The middle picture is stunning in my eyes and closer to the original scan we were all so excited about...

the final is the scan ran through a gentle tone mapping software to take away the brightness....

Hope this helps y'all

Buzz

Mk1 Parker Duofold Centennial in Blue Marble + GT, Medium arrow nib + broad italic aces nib.Owned since new.Parker Victory Black + GT, wet medium.Conway Stewart #388 Stub.

Mabie Todd Blackbird,semi Flex Nib.Aurora optima green auroloid Stub.Visconti voyger emerald green Broad. Waterman 92 Fine flex

Yea, I am in that same boat. Not like the original Greek scan. Sandy's is closer to what I got and that was not what I was wanting. Oh well, it isn't the end of the world.Redder than I thought, less shading by far than I thought. Good lube and it's a pretty Pascal color BUT not what I was aiming for. I have a review in the wings. I suspect it was a different batch but I have a friend who thinks that it's the flex pen pooling ink as it wrote. I am happy that I am not the only person who got a bottle of ink like Sandy did. So I am not that crazy after all.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I was excited about Visconti Purple, but after all of these reviews I'm glad I haven't ordered it yet. I'll save my money for some of the new Diamine inks.

Thanks to all for answer...

I'm waiting for delivery of these inks:

- Visconti Viola/Purple, - Pilot Iroshizuku ASA-GAO - Diamine Sargasso Sea

- Diamine Bilberry

.... To write on FPN a small comparative test.

Bye

That's a review I'm looking forward to reading!

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Sandy, so sorry if I wasn't clear- I wasn't referring to your review of Storm, I was referring to this one http://www.fountainp...=0 in which it can be seen to be much more vibrant than it is in real life. My comment pertaining to the fact that this is the second purple ink to be reviewed in which it's seemed much more vibrant than it is in real life.

Hi,

I believe I understood your point, especially as I'd only recently reviewed Storm. I posted the link so that one could see the samples of that ink when run through my review process. Ditto for Bilberry.

While I do not care to speculate on how scans may be so different, but the scanners and related s/w have developed to a considerable extent from the previous document scanners that were what I call 'colour capable', but still based on monochrome (Black and White) scanners descended from fax machines. Only when the photo scanners came into the market did I even think about doing my own scanning, coupled with the phasing-out of the CRT monitor - then had to wait for the price drop!

Also, there may be a tendency for one to adjust the scan to better depict a colour. I don't know enough about that, so I use default settings - except for the pen scans, where I play about. I reckon the vagaries of ink production, pen, paper, meniscus shape, etc. are such that they obviate the practical need for a 'professional' scan. (An ex-beau who is a professional photographer was rather surprised at the fidelity of the scans using the default setting: certainly not perfect, but more than fit-for-purpose.)

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Sandy, so sorry if I wasn't clear- I wasn't referring to your review of Storm, I was referring to this one http://www.fountainp...=0 in which it can be seen to be much more vibrant than it is in real life. My comment pertaining to the fact that this is the second purple ink to be reviewed in which it's seemed much more vibrant than it is in real life.

Hi,

I believe I understood your point, especially as I'd only recently reviewed Storm. I posted the link so that one could see the samples of that ink when run through my review process. Ditto for Bilberry.

While I do not care to speculate on how scans may be so different, but the scanners and related s/w have developed to a considerable extent from the previous document scanners that were what I call 'colour capable', but still based on monochrome (Black and White) scanners descended from fax machines. Only when the photo scanners came into the market did I even think about doing my own scanning, coupled with the phasing-out of the CRT monitor - then had to wait for the price drop!

Also, there may be a tendency for one to adjust the scan to better depict a colour. I don't know enough about that, so I use default settings - except for the pen scans, where I play about. I reckon the vagaries of ink production, pen, paper, meniscus shape, etc. are such that they obviate the practical need for a 'professional' scan. (An ex-beau who is a professional photographer was rather surprised at the fidelity of the scans using the default setting: certainly not perfect, but more than fit-for-purpose.)

Bye,

S1

Can't argue with any of your reasoning Sandy.

My first scan was just using standard settings at 600dpi... and to be fair to my scanner ( a none photo specific HP ) aside from being a bit on the bright side i'd say it gave a fairly good representation...i look at the paper and the picture i have at the screen at the same time....

Having read alot of reviews on printers and scanners recently ( needing a new printer is the reason ) scan quality does differ a fair amount so it seems from amachine to machine....

Just a thought.

Buzz