Cyber Monday From Pencity = Huge Savings

efchem

My rational, logical and totally not impulse order has been picked up by Fedex. Feeling pretty lucky right now, that sucks for you guys! :(

MCWB, did you receive an email notification that your order shipped? I haven't received anything but the initial acknowledgment of my order.

This is the first time I've ordered from Pen City and it will probably the last, whether I get my order or not. The way other FPNers have had their orders canceled because of "lack of stock" is pretty shabby.

Rick M

fpn_1324576336__aurora-ovoide_65x49.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• efchem

• R A Miller

• threeamigos

• Earthdawn

I got the expected out of stock email, too. I guess it was one of those "too good to be true" things. I doubt I'll ever order from Pen City in the future as well. I have no idea how e-commerce works but is it really that hard to have your website update what's available when you sell products?

On the bright side, my wallet isn't cowering in fear anymore.

Edited by whereisandy

So what did y'all whose orders were cancelled order? I'm hoping they didn't sell out of the Lamy 2000s but if they did I'd like to know sooner rather than later so I can look elsewhere. I haven't gotten a response to my email and they aren't answering the phone "due to extremely heavy volume of orders." Thanks for any info.

This is actually the second time this happened with Pen City. About a year ago they put a bunch of stuff on clearance and had none of the stuff I ordered in stock. I ordered at 9 in the morning Eastern time. That means the stuff I wanted was sold out by then.

This happened with Swishers clearance stuff, where you would order and they would call you telling you they had none left. My biggest complaint is that they ask for credit card numbers etc. for nothing.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

Well I left a message and they called me back pretty quickly. And yes, my order was too late. :(

They said that a real-time inventory system was cost-prohibitive. I guess they haven't heard of free solutions like osCommerce, et al, or the inexpensive system Goulet uses.

Edited by crunchmaster

This is actually the second time this happened with Pen City. About a year ago they put a bunch of stuff on clearance and had none of the stuff I ordered in stock. I ordered at 9 in the morning Eastern time. That means the stuff I wanted was sold out by then.

This happened with Swishers clearance stuff, where you would order and they would call you telling you they had none left. My biggest complaint is that they ask for credit card numbers etc. for nothing.

Once is enough for me - I won't be back to PenCity. I did ask aoubt my credit card charge and received no reply. I guess I can go online and check to see if the charge went through.

So what did y'all whose orders were cancelled order? I'm hoping they didn't sell out of the Lamy 2000s but if they did I'd like to know sooner rather than later so I can look elsewhere. I haven't gotten a response to my email and they aren't answering the phone "due to extremely heavy volume of orders." Thanks for any info.

Sorry to break it to you but one of the pens that I had tried to order was a Lamy 2000 with an EF nib.

I ordered a Lamy 2000 and I am disappointed, but I am not fountain pen poor or anything. I do wish I would have found out Monday, I might have bought something else. But I do wish them the best. LIke many retailers, first come, first served....remember waiting on an iPhone etc.

Considering the deals they had, I can't imagine complaining about anything. I placed two orders, and the second will likely not be filled, unfortunately. But my first order arrived, with a free Pilot mechanical pencil. Why do I get the feeling these folks are closing their doors?

I just got notice mine was shipped this afternoon. I was coming on here to say how slow there shipping out of something is but I guess I should not complain at all.

I'll update when it arrives but I did order late Sunday night or really early Monday morning lol

Mine is shipping USPS priority... Should hit me friday

I'm not really interested in losing money on every order... maybe I'm crazy, but it doesn't sound like a good strategy to stay in business in the long-term, but hey, whatever! :roflmho:

But you'll make it up in volume!! :roflmho:

Never mistake motion for action

- E. Hemingway

I received the same wonderful customer "service" from PenCity twice previously. The second time it happened was the last time they saw my business. It's just not worth the hassle playing roulette with them, IMO.

Wassup wid that, homes? Looks like you're WANT to feel the hurt. -ethernautrix

I checked the status of my credit card on line. A charge for less than the amount of my order is pending. I ordered an Aurora Talentum FP and a bunch of bottles of ink. Based on the charge pending it appears that I will get the Talentum and a few bottles of ink.

I guess running sales like this works out for Pen City but it's not the most customer friendly way to do business IMO. OTOH as dspeers58 pointed out, it can be viewed as a first come-first served type of sale. Place your order early and hope for the best.

Rick M

fpn_1324576336__aurora-ovoide_65x49.jpg

I have mixed feelings about Pencity (even though I posted this) but sometimes their prices are unreal and if you do get the product, I have had no problems. I have ordered a few times from them when they have good sales and most of the time I get my products. I got shipping notification and everything went through except one of the paper orders on this order but I also ordered Sunday night and did not get a Lamy 2000. They do have some great deals in their Demo area from time to time. That being said, I did have one time I ordered some Rhodia pads and box of Sharpies because they were on sale. When I received the package all I got was the Sharpies because the Rhodia pads I ordered were out of stock. They did not refund any of the shipping charge so for a $3 box of sharpies I paid $4 shipping. I feel if they have to cancel part of an order they should at least ask if you want the rest of the order.

I am yet to hear anything... NO EMAIL, even on follow-up.

I don't know how it works but contract law states that an offer is made (e.g. submission of an online purchase) ... and an order is accepted (automatic email as below) means they are legally obliged to fulfill the order. Unless of course, they argue the automatic response is not acceptance.

I have sent a follow-up email and not heard if the order has been accepted or not. So here's hoping. However, if this is the service that others are receiving, I'll rather pay the extra few dollars and add the Lamy 2000 to my next order with Goulet!

Dear PenCity, Inc. customer,

Thank you for your order #XXXX. It is beingelectronically processed.

Quan ItemNo. Description Price Extension

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 LA001F - Lamy 2000 Fountain Pen $126.40 $126.40

Fine

SUBTOTAL $126.40

DISCOUNT -$50.56

SALES TAX $0.00

SHIPPING $30.00

ORDER TOTAL $105.84

Should you have a question about your order, or aboutother PenCity, Inc.

products, please reply call (706) 745-7367 and let ushelp.

Always reference your order number when calling for astatus.

Remember, you can always visit our site at:

http://www.pencity.com/

Regards and thanks for your business!

Edited by tanalasta

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

I haven't heard anything yet either. I emailed them last night to find out about my order, no reply yet. My credit card also has not been charged at this point. Seems kind of shady all-in-all.

Me too - what a big rip off. That will be the last order I will every place with them. I'd rather pay more and buy from dealers like the Goulets and Isellpens.com that don't play these games. What a big waste of time.

+1 for Todd at isellpens and the Goulets for great prices/customer satisfaction!

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Me too - what a big rip off. That will be the last order I will every place with them. I'd rather pay more and buy from dealers like the Goulets and Isellpens.com that don't play these games. What a big waste of time.

+1 for Todd at isellpens and the Goulets for great prices/customer satisfaction!

Great experience with Todd and the Goulets as well. And I've also found that Jetpens is great. When stock is running low, they tell you exactly how many they have left. Just like the Goulets and Todd, you can always email a real person, and you get fast shipping at a good price. Most importantly, if you have a problem, they will treat you right.

I have always have a good exp from Todd, but, I don't understand the lack of love for Pencity. At those prices did everyone expect a bottomless pile of goods? I got lucky but I ordered early and got what I wanted. but, if I hadn't I wouldn't have been pi$$ed at them but myself for not ordering earlier. if they haven't charged your card I don't see the major problem. if it was a going out of business or major down sizing sale I understand not updating their computer system.

when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?