Hello from the pacific northwet

inkyfingers

Hi, I've been browsing the site for a couple of days. I had some trouble registering but here I am after all.

I don't consider myself a collector at this time, but merely an enthusiast. I don't know that I could ever buy a pen and not ink it - I most definitely consider fountain pens to be tools, so I always ink and use what I buy. I find there's an intimacy to the interaction with the instrument. Nonetheless I'm fascinated with these "tools" and I can't get enough! I wish I had more time to use them...

So far my favorite writers are, in order of preference:

Caran d'Ache Metwood in fine (though writes a *little* too wet)

Pelikan M405 in fine (though the pen balance seems somehow *just* too light)

Sheaffer Balance II in medium (and amazingly no complaints about this one yet...where can I buy more?)

Amazingly...~1960s Sheaffer CF pens in fine - a nice wet line, with smooth writing yet firm nibs

And, of course, to speak of ink....I'm narrowing my choices but as with the pens it takes quite a few purchases to figure out what I like. Currently I'm digging PR Tanzanite (bluish, violetish, rich saturation, and *vibrant*) and Noodler's red-black. Before I found the aforementioned red-black I had been mixing my own.

Edited by inkyfingers

-Mike

So much ink, so little said...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• inkyfingers

• wimg

• Maja

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to our little group, IF. :)

I think most of us are enthusiasts who must ink their pens. For the most part, I wouldn't own a pen I can't use. Not for long anyway.

I like the red-black as well. It's just slightly redder than WM Havana which is a wonderful brown. Both have good flow it seems.

I've gone through a ton of inks and I'm trying to figure out now what to get rid of.

anyway - welcome and glad you joined us.

K :meow:

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Hi IF,

Welcome to this madhouse they call FPN! :D

Regarding more time for using them pens: I take a collection of 20 pens to a meeting, and proceed to write a paragraph or two with each of them while taking notes :lol:.

I get some raised eyebrows from people who see this for the first time, but by the second time they have asked why, and by the third they consider this my normal behaviour :lol:. That is when they start asking questions when I only have 3 or 5 pens with me :D.

Of course, those pens are great for attracting peopel to the dark sisde where we all live: the fountain pen side :D.

Anyway, I do hope you enjoy the banter here!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hi Inky Fingers and welcome to FPN :D

I too live in the Pacific Northwest (or Northwet...I'm sure you've heard that one before :lol: ) on the Canadian side of the Canada-US border....in a suburb of Vancouver, to be precise. So far, I think I am the only FPN member from British Columbia :( Where do you call home, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi, thanks for the welcome. I've updated my profile - I'm in Seattle, Wa.

I'm quite patiently awaiting a new Bexley Celebration (Mardi Gras), a Filcao New Leader (mandarin), some new PR ink colors, and a Binder XXF nib for Pelikan. I have a birthday coming up so I thought I'd spoil myself. Woohoooo!

-Mike

So much ink, so little said...

Hi, thanks for the welcome. I've updated my profile - I'm in Seattle, Wa.

I'm quite patiently awaiting a new Bexley Celebration (Mardi Gras), a Filcao New Leader (mandarin), some new PR ink colors, and a Binder XXF nib for Pelikan. I have a birthday coming up so I thought I'd spoil myself. Woohoooo!

ooooo..

I wanna know how all the pens turn out and especially the XXF nib.

I hope you'll post some reviews when you get a chance. Bexley pens have been getting my attention lately (especially the Tuck-away) and so has the Filcao New Leader (is this the Resin one?)

not that I can buy any pens for a while anyway but it's nice to have a goal. :)

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room