Dupont Olympio Or Meisterstuck Classique

seoulseeker

Hi,

I decided to make the step up from rollerball to fountain pens after spending a few weeks with a lower end parker fountain, and after trying models in the store I have pretty much settled between three pens:

The Montblanc Meisterstuck Classique, Medium nib: http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/shop/writing-instruments/meisterstck/black-resin-platinum/m145p-fountain-pen-106522.aspx

The S.T. Dupont Olympio Medium, Medium nib: http://www.st-dupont.com/en/catalogue/pens/lacquer-and-palladium-fountain-pen

And the S.T. Dupont Olympio Large, Medium nib: http://www.st-dupont.com/en/catalogue/pens/fountain-pen-placed-lacquer-symetrie

Having only worked with cheaper steel nibs in the past, I don't quite know what I'm doing when it comes to higher end pens and gold nibs.

If anyone has any experience with these pens, advice would be great! I found all of them to write extremely well, but it was a toss up between the heftier feel of the Dupont, and the considerably lighter Montblanc. I include the Large model because it is 18K nib vs 14K on the other model - is one going to give a better writing experience than the other?

I feel like I would be getting a little better build quality and value for money (lacquer vs resin), with the Dupont - but I can't seem to find much info on Duponts, as far as fountain pens go.

Thanks much for helping a fountain pen newcomer!

Edited by seoulseeker

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dascoyne

• seoulseeker

• bugmd

• tanalasta

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for the Olympio Large because I love the quality and feel of their lacquer. Their nibs are fantastic out of the box. If you've ever handled a Dupont you'd be impressed with the build quality and there's that distinctive cap fit you'll have to experience to appreciate. I've never handled the MB but I can say the Dupont is very impressive. A word of caution - the Dupont is also a relatively heavy pen but it's also well-balanced. And I think the Large is much prettier than the Medium.

While I have more MB's than Olympeos, I would pick the DuPont any day of the week. Although they are c/c fillers, my DuPonts have been more reliable and honestly more pleasurable to use.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

While I have more MB's than Olympeos, I would pick the DuPont any day of the week. Although they are c/c fillers, my DuPonts have been more reliable and honestly more pleasurable to use.

This is the impression that I got from trying them, but I have heard so much about Montblancs... I am curious then, between the two Duponts, I couldn't feel any real difference between the nibs. One is "sunken", the other is all the way out, one is 14K gold the other is 18K - But apart from that, I got the sense that the 300 euro price difference between the medium and the large was little more than aesthetics.

Is there something I'm missing?

Edited by seoulseeker

This is the impression that I got from trying them, but I have heard so much about Montblancs... I am curious then, between the two Duponts, I couldn't feel any real difference between the nibs. One is "sunken", the other is all the way out, one is 14K gold the other is 18K - But apart from that, I got the sense that the 300 euro price difference between the medium and the large was little more than aesthetics.

I think the esthetics is part of the equation. Pick up one of each - if they feel equally nice to you then go ahead with the Medium. Keep in mind there's also an XL pen. Don't confuse the L with the XL.

Where will you be purchasing these pens, if I might ask? You might also want to know that all the pens you mention are commonly counterfeited pens - the Medium Dupont being much more commonly counterfeited than the Large Duponts.

The ST Dupont medium size is the successor to the ST Dupont Fidelio, a really nice pen. Here is a review of all three sizes, the Fidelio, Large and X-Large.

Here are my Orpheos, formerly called Olympios. These are just among the highest quality pens and nibs that you can find, IMHO.

Top pen is silver barleycorn pattern, the bottom one is palladium.

P1030291.JPG

Black lacquer with gold trim.

P1030509.JPG

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

I think the esthetics is part of the equation. Pick up one of each - if they feel equally nice to you then go ahead with the Medium. Keep in mind there's also an XL pen. Don't confuse the L with the XL.

Where will you be purchasing these pens, if I might ask? You might also want to know that all the pens you mention are commonly counterfeited pens - the Medium Dupont being much more commonly counterfeited than the Large Duponts.

I would be picking these up from a S.T. Dupont boutique in a department store down the road (Seoul, South Korea) - the cost is a bit more than online, but it essentially rules out the chance of a counterfeit. I have already picked up a Defi Rollerball from this particular boutique, that I have been very happy with (after an initial bad refill). The metal casing picks up micro-scratches fairly easily, but that's one of the hazards of a metal pen.

It's a great daily use pen for notes (can use ballpoint, roller, or fineliner), and carbon-copy signatures and whatnot - the unique body shape is what initially drew me to it, and keeps it from rolling off of my desk (not designed to be used capped). Would really like to own a fountain pen though for more personal use.

I would usually consider ordering online, but I don't have a steady address at the moment, as I am moving around alot.

Thanks all for the tips! Pretty sure I'll get a Dupont now, just need to go back into the store and try the models again.

Edit: Excellent pen collection! I tend to like the look of black and silver/platinum more than black and gold, but that last one is just stunning!

Edited by seoulseeker

I have seven L & XL Orpheos (I think).

Here are a couple of my nicest ones:

Dupont Godrons

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab289/longbough1/stdupont01.jpg

Dupont Guilander

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab289/longbough1/stdupont03.jpg

Edited by dascoyne

I remember buying my S.T. Dupont Fidélio new, for 200€, 6 years ago. It was simply the best price/quality ratio I ever had on a pen.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

I don't own the Meisterstuck classique ... it's shape and narrow width has never quite appealed. That's not to say it's not a great pen, and there are plenty out there who have one.

I do however, own a 146 and three 149s and would highly recommend trying the larger sized MB's.

As for ST Dupont, I'd pick the Dupont over the MB classique. The former is a durable pen and a lovely writer with plenty of options in finishes. The large one may suffice if the XL does not appeal to you. But like always, try to test a pen before you buy. The Dupont is a c/c filler, heavier but still balanced ... the classique lighter, more brittle (though don't drop either) and both usually have lovely nibs out of the box. So you probably won't go wrong with either. Good luck!

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)