Nakaya Urushi - Cigar Piccolo

Phthalo

I'm just counting the number of banks I'll need to rob to relinish my Nakaya purchase :gaah:

Couldnt resist and added a 'fumigated' finished dragon rolling stopper (with ruby eyes and onyx dragon ball) so thats going to be interesing

Only arriving by end April..kuro-tamenuri writer model *sighs* this wait is killing me !!:bonk:

leo

https://imgur.com/8TOQh8v

"Oey !! Gimme back my pen !"

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phthalo

• alvarez57

• Escribiente

• HyperCamper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for an absolutely enchanting review ... both your words and photos had me mezmerized. As I read I truly got a sense of your admiration for the pen both from an artistic and functional point of view. Well done and you have every right to be proud of such a wonderful pen. clap1.gif

Edited by PenFisher

I'm glad this review is so useful! I always get a big smile when I see someone has contributed to this thread after so long. :)

This is kind of embarrassing to admit, but I can still just sit there and actually sigh with happiness when I hold it. :P

I've just had a quote from Nakaya on a fourth Piccolo, a much flashier one - but the kuro-tame Nakaya really is my favourite It just has such a quiet, simple beauty... :)

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Laura,

You captured this beautiful pen perfectly, both in words and photographs. I am the custodian of the identical pen with a single tone gold fine nib. It is the pen I reach for every day. The depth of the color is fantastic. The shape and size really are perfectly suited for extended writing.

Mike

I adore each and every single one of your reviews. Been reading these trying to decide which Nakaya I should consider pulling the trigger upon... (and saving up a bit first). And even better that you use mostly EF or F nibs. Only thing holding me back apart from the cost is deciding which size, writer model and the fact I do tend to post my pens which isn't quite recommended on the Urushi finish.

Your photography is gorgeous, I love how you bring out the colour and glow out of the Nakaya's. :cloud9:

Thank you for your enlightening pen reviews and posts.

Edited by tanalasta

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

• 1 month later...

Whoa! Timeless design indeed. One of the classier and unique versions of Japanese pens.

Great review and photographs, its a truly lovely pen and one day I plan to get a Nakaya urishi to go with my Danitrio's.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Laura, your review made up my mind to get a Nakaya. I love the redish-red finish. Now I have to decide between the Equilibrium, Writer, or Cigar (portable sizes)....then Medium or Broad...then Gold or two-toned.....may be best to go through nibs.com for this.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for a great reiview and your impressions on various nibs - this is a beautiful pen and you did make a bold decision of going clip less - again this is not an every day writing pen - enjoy and thanks for sharing the experience.

I definitely have to disagree here... this is definitely a pen that can be an everyday pen... it is too beautiful a pen to relegate to the occasional use and remain hidden away... the urushi is surprisingly durable... one of the reasons for it's use in the first place... and the clipless version is more that useable daily for one soon learns to always set it don't gently on something where it will not roll around, or leave it in ones hand to prolong the beautiful sensual feel of this most minimal of pens

[sorry to resurrect this brilliant pen review... was reminded of it while commenting on a Nakaya piccolo cigar in the marketplace... and decided to reread the review yet again]

Edited by TrevorML

• 1 month later...

this fountain pen is perfect, it is look like made of glass, wonderful color. Every person can see that you like the fountain pen...

you are a most talented writer. initially i began to think that i was reading a romantic novel. then i realised that you have cut to the heart of this fascination with anything handmade by true craftsmen, and done so with great skill and, no doubt, sincerity. thank you for a review that is so uniquely satisfying on so many levels.

"People build themselves a furnace when all they need is a lamp." Maulana Jalaludin Balkhi (Rumi)

• 3 months later...

Laura, all have said it before me, wonderful review and photos. Best of all you have a great pen. I bought my first Nakaya from Classic Fountain Pens in California. When the Bamboo Wind Limited Edition arrived I was hooked on the Nakaya workmanship and nibs. Then I started looking at the colors on-line and knew I had to have a Kuro-Tamenuri (Black-Red) pen. I now have one Portable size Cigar and one Decapod. Then I went to the Araishu (Orange). I now have a Portable Cigar and a Decapod. Finally, since I love and collect blue pens, I finished the collection with a Kikyo (Blue) pen. All my nibs are either fine or medium nibs. One of these days I will learn to write with little or no pressure and try a extra-fine nib. The blue pen is without a clip. These pens look best without the clip, but I take mine to work and prefer a clip to keep the top securely in my pocket or on my desktop.

Edited by ampatb

Laura, I hope you don't mind -- one of your lovely photos is now the background display on my computer. I am saving for a Nakaya just like the one you so ably reviewed. :drool:

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

• 1 year later...

How has the color changed since you last posted? Perhaps some new followup pictures?

Now that you have several, how often do you find yourself using this original pen?