Picasso 606

jaderabbit

I'm home for Thanksgiving Break, doing laundry, sipping persimmon tea and generally procrastinating. So while I'm at it, I bring to you my first Chinese fountain pen, bought off of ebay for less than $12! It's a light peachy pink and writes like a dream...once I hit its sweet spot anyway.

http://chayeji.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/fpfamily.jpg?w=987

top to bottom: Picasso 606, Pilot Prera, Lamy Al-Star, Sailor A.S. Manhattaner's, Pilot 78G

The 606 was advertised as an "Ultrafine Accounting Pen" but it seems to write bolder than my Pilot Prera fine or more closely to my Lamy extra fine. Aside from a decent writing nib, the weight of the pen itself is also more substantial than my other fountain pens, probably because the 606 is made of metal instead of plastic or aluminum. I wish it were a little longer like the Lamy Al-Star since I don't like capping my pens and ruining the weight balance, but otherwise I'm very satisfied.

http://chayeji.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/606writing.jpg?w=987

http://chayeji.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/606linecomp.jpg?w=1011

The 606 really seems to love Private Reserve Velvet Black and the hooded nib was surprisingly easy to fill and clean. In terms of ergonomics, it's not as easy to handle as the Lamy since sometimes I roll the pen in my fingers and lose the sweet spot. And its not as fine or easy of a writer as the Prera, which can pretty much write no matter how I turn the nib. All in all, compared to the rest of the lot, I think the 606 might just be my new favorite pen.

Edited by jaderabbit

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• jaderabbit

• Uncle Red

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review, it's good to see these Chinese pens as there are so many of them..

However this gave me a chuckle:

...probably because the 606 is made of metal instead of plastic or aluminum.
There was me thinking Aluminium was a metal...

May years back the company I worked for had a really old draughtsman who often asked whether the new box he was to design was 'Metal or Aluminium'.:thumbup:

Regards,

Richard.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files