Rollerball Pens Refillable With Fp Ink

Slim

Penrivers said: "you only need pliers and flannel to set out the nib section from the plastic side of the nib and then fill it with a syrenge, exactly like the pilot varsity refill process"......so..wonder if it possible to "mix and match"?

Imagine...a V-Pen/Varsity with a Hi-Tecpoint tip...and a Hi-Tecpoint body as a fountain pen....I have both types of pen, but none of them empty to test this possibility....hmmmmm.....

Obs57

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rsx

• Obsidian57

• rockydoggy

• Slim

Penrivers said: "you only need pliers and flannel to set out the nib section from the plastic side of the nib and then fill it with a syrenge, exactly like the pilot varsity refill process"......so..wonder if it possible to "mix and match"?

Imagine...a V-Pen/Varsity with a Hi-Tecpoint tip...and a Hi-Tecpoint body as a fountain pen....I have both types of pen, but none of them empty to test this possibility....hmmmmm.....

Obs57

It is posible Obsidian, I hope you do it and have a wonderful unexpected surprise. Just with the pliers pull out the 3 or 4 plastic rings wraped with the piece of cloth, do not touch the nib. Greetings.

Edited by penrivers

V-Pen refills I have done on several occaisions, using pliers and syringe method, it's just that I haven't run any of my Hi-Tecpoints empty yet.

Obs57

One thing I have noticed is that the ink in the V5, while still fluid, seems slightly thicker or more viscous than ordinary fountain pen ink. When I fill my V5 with Noodler's ink the flow is slightly increased, with the added advantage of the ability to slightly vary the line width, though it is still sharp and fine. It is a different experience, one I appreciate as a fountain pen user.

Dr. Scrawl

I have successfully filled MB roller-ball refills with Pelikan Black ink - the refills can be opened by pulling out the plastic tab at the top and soaking the insert inside in ink.

Unfortunately I tried it only after purchasing replacements :doh:

S.

Edited by smk

One of the early entries in this method was the Newman branded version made by Platinum. They are sometimes available, like right now being offered by our member Speerbob-no affliation etc- but I did buy my second one from him. They take standard Platinum carts; haven't tried a converter but these are in the long/short style so may not fit. These are a little more expensive than some of the other offerings, but are very well made and last a long time, at least in my experience.

Hi,

I think we have named the major ones already,

Kaweco Sport

Lyra Calypso

Monteverde Invincia and Mega

Pelikan (numerous models)

Franklin Christoph

Visconti Eco-roller

Stipula Passaporto Speedball

Schneider INX

They usually work decently. I still think a Schneider ballpoint or a fountain pen gives a superior writing experience, but if you are a big rollerball fan, these are some to look at.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Also Delta and Levenger (use same Schneider rollerball section as Visconti)

Hi,

I think we have named the major ones already,

Kaweco Sport

Lyra Calypso

Monteverde Invincia and Mega

Pelikan (numerous models)

Franklin Christoph

Visconti Eco-roller

Stipula Passaporto Speedball

Schneider INX

They usually work decently. I still think a Schneider ballpoint or a fountain pen gives a superior writing experience, but if you are a big rollerball fan, these are some to look at.

Dillon

Edited by rsx

Dr. Scrawl

Just FYI for those on this thread -- I received this reply today from Pilot USA:

"The Pilot V5/V7 Cartridge System is not available through Pilot Pen Corporation of America. Each Pilot Affiliate has a specific list of products available to them and the residents of their marketing area. Regrettably to say we are unable to provide assistance for this pen. While this pen is not available through Pilot Corporation of America or its direct customers, you may find it through other on-line sources that are buying from another Pilot Subsidiary. Your comments will be made known to our Marketing department for consideration when adding new products to our current product line."

So ... I gather that this pen does indeed exist.

Dr. Scrawl

: /

You know, you can just rip the tops out of those Pilot V5s and refill them with nearly anything. ( except I've a bad experience with Lamy Blue. Maybe the iron gall gunks it up? )

How much trouble is it to reseal them? Is it possible to do that multiple times? :unsure:

I found a previous FPN post on the matter, but the blog it links to is now defunct, so there's not much available in the way of guidance there. :(

You can re-use them a number of times, I used to refill them 3-4 times. If you take into consideration that they can hold a lot of ink, they used to last long enough for my student needs at that time.

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

• 2 weeks later...

Dose anyone have experience with changing the color of ink in a Pilot V5/V7? I have an empty V5 but can not seem to get the last little bit of black in out of the feed, the trouble is compounded by the fact that I want to refill it with Noodler's blue Ghost so even a little contamination shows up.

I have rried soaking the feed, even blowing air backwards through the feed at +80 psi, but a little always remains to tint the first letter or two when I write. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

I tried once, but broke the nib at the fins when taking it out.

I did see a youtube video of someone taking the nib/feed out and refilling it, but I didn't manage to get it done.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to clean another V5 feed over the weekend.

I soaked it for 12 hours in water, blowing compressed air through the feed about every 90 minutes to extract as much of the ink as possible. Then I let it soak in a 25% bleach solution for another 12 hours, only blowing compressed air through it twice. Then back into water to try and wash out the bleach. For the first 6 hours the feed was blown out every hour. Then it was allowed to soak over night.

When I blew the feed out after the over night water soak I still managed to get some blue liquid out of the feed! I am impressed with how well the feed holds onto ink.

This complete color change for an ink is turning out to be quite a challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen a youtube video about a method of refilling a Pilot V5 with a syringe. This is done without taking out the feed and I would guess that at the end the feed would be saturated with the new ink.

Maybe you could search out for the video and give it a shot?

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

I just wanted to add that it is no trouble at all to 're-seal' the Pilot Precise V5 and V7 pens, you simply press the feed/stylo unit back into the body until it clicks firmly into place. I found a very easy way to get the unit off in the first place is to wrap faux-leather cord around the 'finned' section of the unit to make a grip that you can use to pull it out of the pen. For certain inks, I would imagine that this wouldn't be the pen to use, remember that these pens use some sort of wick to feed the ink to the tip, so be careful with inks that are known to clog and inks that would normally require more attention and cleaning on an FP, such as iron-galls.

<em class='bbc'>I started nowhere, ended up back there. I caught a fever and it burned up my blood. It was a pity, I left the city; I did me some travelin' but it's done me no good.</em> - Buffalo Clover "The Ruse"

• 6 years later...

After frustrating experiences with MB and Pelikan rollerball refills (skipping, inconsistent line) I gave up. But after reading through this and related rollerball threads, I experimented by removing the sealer cap from my exhausted Pelikan 600 rollerball refill (338-6B), removing the plastic wrapped sponge inside and simply dipping the end of it into a bottle of Iroshizuku Asa-Gao until the sponge absorbed enough ink for the top of the cartridge/sponge to appear damp. I then replaced the cartridge, recapped the refill and began writing with my fountain pen filled rollerball refill with none of the problems I'd previously experienced and no need to purchase another refill.

It wasn't until after I'd done what I describe above that I read SMK's post (#45) and see that he'd done the same thing with a MB refill.

I've only used it for a few minutes and have no idea if there will be long term negative consequences, but I'm willing to follow through with the experiment. Should anything unpleasant occur, I'll update this post.