Rollerball Pens Refillable With Fp Ink

Slim

Tried a bit of rollerball refillng myself and the front room carpet bears testament to this. Its messy and leaks like hell in my limited experience

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rsx

• Obsidian57

• rockydoggy

• Slim

While I am a dedicated fountain pen user, I use rollerballs whenever I can get cool ink. At my office we only use fade proof and waterproof ink. Thus, I am picky about what pens we use in my office.

We have the most of theses (probably two of each color - so about six): The children's roller ball from Faber-Castell see the (Children's Blue Roller Ball Pen) and I add a pelikan converter. For about 20 dollars, I can have any color ink I want in my fountain pen.

We have four or so Noodler's piston rollerballs.

We have two or three of the Zebras. The Zebra R-301 works great with the converter for the Platinum Plaisir. I had to remove the gold ring at the top, but then it worked beautifully. I bought the converters at Jet Pens.

Because of the cost, I only have one Monteverde Mega Ink Ball - see this thread https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10405-monte-verde-ink-ball/ - overall, I was disappointed with the pen, it doesn't hold a lot of ink, is difficult to fill and none of the nibs are bold.

By far my favorite roller ball pens are the Pilot Precise Grip in BOLD. While I know it is a "cheap" pen, I love how they write, so I end up refilling them with Noodler's Ink.

Alas, if anyone makes a BOLD piston fill roller ball - I'm in.

Edited by amberleadavis

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Not sure if this will help, but in my experience (based on looks and behavior of the ink), my dupont rollerballs use the same ink as my dupont fountain, the only difference is how it ends up on the paper.

At the back end of the dupont roller refills, there's a plastic section that it would probably be feasible to remove. As to whether you could wash out the refill, and replace the ink with something else I can't say, but I think that it would work.

The pens themselves are a bit expensive, but refills are around $8 - you could probably get them to fit in a cheaper body if you cared to. Best rollerballs I've used to date.

Edited by seoulseeker

• 4 weeks later...

I really like my rollerball from noodler's. I have the large black piston filler rollerball which is really awesome. It writes wonderfully, but I think it doesn't care for some inks. I had starting issues with Sailor Kiwaguro and right now it has minor starting issues with noodler's Heart of darkness. I like the thin line the Noodler's rollerball provides. And I like that I can replace the tip for a few pence.

I am waiting for the cheaper version to arrive by post right now.

Second refillable rollerball I won is the Kaweco Sport. This pen I don't care too much for due to it's too wide line. It is more of a medium tip. And there aren't any replacement tips on offer. Meaning I will have to throw out the pen once the tip has gone. A shame really since the refillable aspect is what makes the pen interesting and having to throw it out soonish goes against that idea.

Another refillable rollerball on my list is the Visconti Rembrand. That pen looks really good to me.

So does the Stipula Passaporto. Wouldn't mind finding one underneath the christmastree this year *grin.

Hope that helps a little,

Nicole

I think it doesn't care for some inks. I had starting issues with Sailor Kiwaguro and right now...

That's not surprising considering the pigmented nature of that ink. I would imagine trying to flush those inks out of the feed/ball/felt mechanism to be a pain! (especially if one were to let them dry out a little in the pen!)

Edited by Silent Speaker

I have purchased Noodler's Kung Te-cheng and Bay State Blue from the Goulets recently and you get two free pens with them. One of the pens is a Preppy FP that has been converted to eyedropper filling and there is a rollerball tip in the barrel. Simply pull the nib and feed and insert the rollerbal tip, et voila!

I have been using one of these on and off for the last 2 or 3 week and it may be cheap but it writes nicely. In addition, since it's an ED, it's gonna be a long time before I run out of ink!

Brian

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

It's easier to just get a pen that's designed for this, instead modifying something that's not supposed to be tweaked so.

The one's I know of:

The Visconti Eco-Roller - C/C filler

Noodler's Konrad - Piston filler

Noodler's Creaper - Piston Filler

There's that Monteverde, and the Kaweco Sport Rollerball.

(you can purchase spare inkball tips for the Noodler's pens)

Delta makes an ink-ball in every model.

Dr. Scrawl

Been using the Visconti Eco-Roller (got it as a gift back in August). I have filled it four or five times, so I am still on the first nib unit and it still writes very smoothly. I started it with Iroshizuku ink, but currently am on my third fill of OMAS violet (my eco-roller is purple, and they are a great match). It's an expensive pen but I would recommend it for the ink versatility. I see that replacement units are $12 at Fahrney's (no affiliation, but it is where this particular pen was purchased). I was told by a Visconti rep that the roller units are good for about 10 fills.

Sharon in Indiana

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

• 7 months later...

For our Canadian members here....

Whilst in my local Staples in Gerrard Square, Toronto the other day I noticed the Zebra R-301 Rollerball pen on the pens rack...noticed the fountain pen carts in the blister pack...and thought...hmmm...interesting...and so bought one to try out....cost me all of

$5.47 or so plus tax....played around with it for a few days, decided I liked it...had read that they could use Plat Prep carts...so in went a blue one I had...works really well.

So, back to Staples today, intending to buy three of them, now marked as $4.99...and were on sale...$3.89 each plus tax...ha I went home with 5 of them.

Who knows how long they will be there...

See this link, Zebra: http://www.zebrapen.com/products/pen/r-301-rollerball-pen?c=31

...and a review of: http://penaddict.com/blog/2012/1/27/zebra-r-301-stainless-steel-refillable-roller-ball-review.html

Obs57

Edited by Obsidian57

Schneider have several models of cartridge roller pens. The INX Sportive and Easy models will take international longs. Quality is quite good (smooooth writing!) but the tips are not interchangeable. Still, for about 4 Euros plus (7 Euros postage) via Ebay Germany it's a pretty darned good deal.

Schneider's site: http://www.schneiderpen.de/en/information_for_retailers/product_catalog/product_catalog/show/cartridge-rollerballs-8.html

As for Ebay, search for the specific model you want (or nothing may turn up).

There is also the J. Herbin refillable roller ball. J. Herbin Roller ball (Out of stock at Goulet's, but available at other sites, such as ISellPens.)

Here is a post from someone who turned the roller ball into an eyedropper, too: FPN post Though the page on Goulet Pens says cartridge only, Mrs. Goulet in this thread says the pen can actually take a converter as well, if making an eyedropper or using cartridges does not appeal to you.

Holly

In terms of inexpensive ink rollers that take standard cartridges, I've had good luck with the Schneider INX, the Kaweco Sport, a metal-body ink roller put out by Yafa, and the Lyra Calypso--with the Kaweco and the Schneider clearly at that the top of that group in terms of performance. I've tried the Noodlers ink roller and had problems with the two I bought, but some folks like them. I've also found that I need to clean out the roller units on these pens every so often, depending on the ink I'm using. One of my Kaweco pens started skipping and squeaking and I thought that it was conking out. However, after soaking it and then forcing water through the feed with an ear bulb, I switched to Noodlers Eel Turquoise and the pen's been fine ever since.

FYI <passion4pens> has had the Schneider INX Marathon ink roller on sale for a while --

http://www.passion4pens.com/product/388-115189034

Also, this old FPN thread has some good information:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/11707-rollerballs-that-run-on-fountain-pen-ink/

Has anyone heard of the Pilot V5 / V7 Cartridge system?

See this on You Tube:

It looks like a usual V5 pen that opens and takes a Pilot fountain pen ink cartridge. Or maybe a converter also?

If you have seen it, or know where it is available I would like to know.

Thanks!

Dr. Scrawl

That is one weird video...haha

But if the system exists, I too would be interested...I like the Pilot Hi-Tecpoint V7 Grip pens...and to have these pens in a reloadable cartridge system...even better!!

Obs57

Edited by Obsidian57

It's easier to just get a pen that's designed for this, instead modifying something that's not supposed to be tweaked so.

The one's I know of:

The Visconti Eco-Roller - C/C filler

Noodler's Konrad - Piston filler

Noodler's Creaper - Piston Filler

There's that Monteverde, and the Kaweco Sport Rollerball.

(you can purchase spare inkball tips for the Noodler's pens)

Levenger has one also now, I've been thinking of giving it a a try

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

This Pilot rollerball cartridge system must be very new.

I contacted the folks at JetPens--they've never heard of it.

And I couldn't find it when I took a quick look at the Pilot website.

But if the system exists, I too would be interested...I like the Pilot Hi-Tecpoint V7 Grip pens...and to have these pens in a reloadable cartridge system...even better!!

Obs57

OK this is weird. The video describing the V5 Cartridge System is on the Pilot Pen Montenegro Facebook page (yes, there really is such a thing) as well as You Tube. I cannot find it on the Montenegrin website "PilotPen.me" but then the language is a problem for me. I haven't been able to find it on any other Pilot Pen international website. I called Pilot USA and they couldn't tell me anything about it. Perhaps it is bogus, but perhaps it is very new and has been leaked (no pun intended) by their Montenegro subsidiary.

Certainly looks interesting to me.

For now I am having fun refilling my Pilot V5 pens with all varieties of fountain pen ink and enjoying it a great deal! I find that they write smoother, and finer, than the Schmidt rollerball tips used on Visconti, Delta and other pricy pens.

This Pilot rollerball cartridge system must be very new.

I contacted the folks at JetPens--they've never heard of it.

And I couldn't find it when I took a quick look at the Pilot website.

Obs57

Dr. Scrawl

JetPens has a "New Product Request Form" on their site.

It might be worth asking them to track this new model down.

Perhaps also <jstationary.com>?

OK this is weird. The video describing the V5 Cartridge System is on the Pilot Pen Montenegro Facebook page (yes, there really is such a thing) as well as You Tube. I cannot find it on the Montenegrin website "PilotPen.me" but then the language is a problem for me. I haven't been able to find it on any other Pilot Pen international website. I called Pilot USA and they couldn't tell me anything about it. Perhaps it is bogus, but perhaps it is very new and has been leaked (no pun intended) by their Montenegro subsidiary.

Certainly looks interesting to me.

For now I am having fun refilling my Pilot V5 pens with all varieties of fountain pen ink and enjoying it a great deal! I find that they write smoother, and finer, than the Schmidt rollerball tips used on Visconti, Delta and other pricy pens.

Well, I was looking in this thread the moderns pilot v5 and v7 rollerballs they are diferents to mine. I have a pilot precise v7 with a fantastic fine roller ball nib that gives a thin constant wet line , really a pleasured experience to write with, no kidding, you only need pliers and flannel to set out the nib section from the plastic side of the nib and then fill it with a syrenge, exactly like the pilot varsity refill process. Greetings.fpn_1346201301__img_0041.jpg