The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Review Of Lanbitou Pocket Pen

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:33

I saw this pen a while ago listed as "Lanbitou Flighter Pocket Rocket" at Hisnibs when I was curious about fountain pens, but hadn't yet bought anything. By the time I decided that I wanted one, Hisnibs was out of these. :crybaby: I wanted one. I really wanted one, but I had no idea what it was called, so I didn't know how to search for it. I eventually stumbled upon it again, and bought it. Yay!

Posted Image

Appearance & Design:
I think this was inspired by the Fisher Space pen, but it's definitely prettier. It's shiny! I like the little gold band connecting the section and body. It adds a lot, I think. I think it looks very pretty and elegant.

Construction & Quality:
This thing is solid. I keep it in my skirt pocket at all times, including during naps. The only effect dropping it has is a burp of ink, and even then only if it's dropped onto tile or something similar. It's fine when dropped on carpet. This is not a pen I'd worry about destroying. I think it would take effort. Oh, the clip is super stiff, but I've mostly just kept it in my pocket.

Weight & Dimensions:
This pen is tiny. It is very much a pocket pen, and most people would probably find it uncomfortable with extended use. It's heavy for its size, which means it's still pretty light.

Nib & Performance:
The nib is smooth and slightly wet. The weight of the pen alone is enough to get it to write, but it behaves better with a bit of help (equivalent to the weight of a heavier pen, honestly).

Filling System & Maintenance:
This uses a press bar filler, but the cover slides off easily, and because the sac is so short, it is easier to fill that way. The sac can be filled completely. It also has a very nice looking breather tube, and it is very fast to clean and fill.

Posted Image

Cost and Value:
I bought this on ebay from ahai006 (no affiliation, but is known to be reputable, and ships super fast) for $4.80. Huh? This feels much, much more expensive. These can be bought in packs of ten for a better value.

Conclusion:
I love this pen. :cloud9: It lives in my pocket. It's indestructible, but should it get lost, it's cheap to replace. The grip on the section makes the small size much more comfortable, although you absolutely must post. I trying to convince myself I don't need to buy the pack of 10. But I want more...

Posted Image

Posted Image

The sac is still pretty full, although it's been used a bit, so it's not full anymore.
Posted Image

Posted Image

It's tiny! (I have fairly small hands, even for a woman. Also, they are stained with Diamine Claret :D)
Posted Image

And this is why you need to post the pen. Unless you are 3, in which case you probably aren't allowed near pens.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by celesul, 23 November 2011 - 11:36.

Sponsored Content

#2 icardoth

icardoth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:48

Nice! I will try to get one of these. Thanks for the review.

#3 Scribblesoften

Scribblesoften

Retrogrouch

• Member - Gold

• 1,432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:49

Neat pen. Nice review. This pen didn't make sense to me until I saw your picture with the cap posted. Then I got it. As always your handwriting is superb.

#4 fabiorr

fabiorr

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 13:07

Hi Celesul,

I have exactly the same pen with Jinhaostamped on the clip. I also got rid of the "sac cover + press bar" tobe able to have a complete fill.

It´s a sturdy little pen, great to have inthe pocket at all times.

Thanksfor the review.

#5 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 13:37

Thanks for the compliment. :embarrassed_smile:

Hi Celesul,

I have exactly the same pen with Jinhaostamped on the clip. I also got rid of the "sac cover + press bar" tobe able to have a complete fill.

It´s a sturdy little pen, great to have inthe pocket at all times.

Thanksfor the review.

Yeah, there seem to be three available bullet pens out there, although I haven't seen the Jinhao ones on ebay, only in people's reviews. The brands that carry these sorts of pocket pens are Jinhao, Lanbitou, and Yiren. The Jinhao's sac cover looks to be metal, while the Lanbitou's feels plasticky and is black. The Yiren's cover seems to be the same as the Lanbitou's, but it lacks the gold ring that the other two have. There are several models of Chinese pens that seem to be the same pen just with different finishes and branding.

#6 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2011 - 13:49

Nice, but way too small and shiny for me. It'd be like trying to write with a greased pig in my sweaty mitts. Maybe it's a "lady pen?" :hmm1:

Edited by januaryman, 23 November 2011 - 13:50.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

#7 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2011 - 14:42

Cool! This was one of the first pens I reviewed when I joined FPN. I think this is the only one I've seen since then.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#8 th3

th3

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2011 - 15:19

Thank you very much for your excellent review. I have been looking at this pen, from the same ebay seller, and considering a buy. Your review was very timely. Another opportunity to enjoy your beautiful handwriting was a bonus. Very well done.

#9 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2011 - 15:59

Awesome! Just bought 2 from that seller for $7.90 with free shipping!

#10 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2011 - 16:14

Gosh, perfect handwriting!!

#11 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2011 - 17:39

I got a couple of these too. I keep one in my jacket loaded with Platinum Pigmented Blue, works great for credit card slips. I paid more for mine from xFountainpens but they do have a black model.

#12 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 18:22

Great review and wonderful handwriting. Thanks!
I have a similar Jinhao pen, and the nib is just amazing--maybe the smoothest I have.
ron

#13 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2011 - 18:55

Thanks for the review and heads up. Please keep us updated should you have any issues with the pen (e.g. leaking).
--
Glenn (love those pen posses)

#14 icardoth

icardoth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,065 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 19:36

Awesome! Just bought 2 from that seller for $7.90 with free shipping!

Lucky you. Both sellers I've found on eBay don't ship to my country... By the way, they seem to ship just to USA, UK and Germany only. :gaah:

#15 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2011 - 19:51

Gosh, perfect handwriting!!

Yes...

I like the curve on the clip and the interesting section. It seems to be of a similar size to my Wing Sung 703 and Hero 366.

Nice review, thanks.

#16 floydee1

floydee1

Nervous? Nah! Just thinking.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 19:59

I've a couple of these. Very much like a poorman's Pilot MYU701 or M90. But I do love 'em as a pen I can thrash around.
I use it when I dont want to risk my Pilot M90.

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

#17 epic

epic

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 22:47

I have the Jinhao version of the pen, and I agree with all your observations.

A question though: don't you find that with the need to post, the part of the barrel where the cap grabs onto while posted gets all scratched up? No deep scratches on mine, just a band where the metal seems to have been rubbed raw with microscratches. Not enough to cut through the chrome surface, but you definitely see a dulling to the previously shiny metal.

#18 GOM

GOM

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2012 - 16:54

Saw this little beauty on Ebay and decided to check here for comments before ordering. Well, I'm sold, placing my order (2) now!

Thanks,

Jeff

#19 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2012 - 17:33

Late last year I bought 20 of these pens (or I think they were these pens) and gave 'em away at an SF Pen Posse. Those who tried their pens right then seemed to feel that it worked well... amazingly so for such an inexpensive little pen.
--
Glenn (love those pen posses)

#20 Songyi

Songyi

Quiescent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2012 - 20:37

I bought one about a year ago, but have sadly lost it a few months ago. :crybaby:
It was a very smooth writer and was light enough to bring everywhere. I was only disappointed in that it scratched easily and the gold band you spoke of soon faded into silver. Though the ink capacity is pretty tiny, the fine nib seldom needs so much. Congrats!
“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”
Graham Greene

Sponsored Content

|