Hero 1000

APHK

The freebie Hero 007 (looks very similar to a 616) that came with it courtesy of yespen is fairly poor and of very cheap quality!

So that's what it is, I thought it was another version of the 616. I filled it up with highlighter ink since I have no other use for it.

I recommend carbon ink for the Hero 1000 - I use the Sailor version - to give some lubrication to the nib.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• APHK

• brownargus

• Flounder

• lovemy51

1324032354[/url]' post='2187294']

The fingers inside the hood appear to be some sort of plastic and mine is a very tight fit needing a strong pull to remove it.

Correction; having looked closer, there are three metal fingers in a plastic sleeve. To be honest I think the section is obtaining its friction from the plastic sleeve rather than the metal fingers. It is still a tight fit and I feel that the hood should push on further to meet the silver ring on the barrel. Otherwise I am very pleased with the pen.

Edited by brownargus

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

Funny, I've never been a fan of pens with hooded nibs: too 'space-age' for me, rabbit ears and kidney shaped tables and all that. My tastes lay more in the 1920's or '30's. But something about this pens grabs me, maybe the shininess, maybe the plainness. It just appeals to me. And based on your excellent review, I think I will give one a try. I see one seller on Ebay selling the 1000 for $18.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• 4 weeks later...
1324244750[/url]' post='2189551']
1324032354[/url]' post='2187294']

The fingers inside the hood appear to be some sort of plastic and mine is a very tight fit needing a strong pull to remove it.

Correction; having looked closer, there are three metal fingers in a plastic sleeve. To be honest I think the section is obtaining its friction from the plastic sleeve rather than the metal fingers. It is still a tight fit and I feel that the hood should push on further to meet the silver ring on the barrel. Otherwise I am very pleased with the pen.

After some use, it does appear that the metal fingers are starting to mark the hood section. Mine is still a very tight fit!

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

This sounds very similar to the 616's issue of the plastic inner cap preventing the cap fingers from reaching the section's clutch ring.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

My pen has not been scratched yet...touch wood.

With use, the slightly larger diameter of the ring on the body was getting a bit irritating and so I ground the edge very slightly with fine grit paper. Feels much smoother now.

• 2 years later...

After a couple of years both my Hero 1000s (I got a second one because I thought the first one was lost!) are wearing reasonably well and still look good. The fine nibs though are more like a European EF, but write very well with good flow. Two minor downsides. The lacquer on the barrel looks rather thin - a small scratch has appeared maybe from laying it on the desk, revealing the brass underneath. Also, the cream paint on the end of the barrel also cracked and fell off leaving an unattractive area of brass. So I painted it with some metallic mid grey paint - touch-up paint for my Vauxhall Astra and it looks really good - much better than the cream paint! This must be one of the better of the Hero range of pens.

brownargus,

Although it is an old thread but your update report is still most welcomed; glad to know that the 1000 wears well. I do have some misgivings regarding the ivory-coloured jewels, but mine is still holding. I do not know if it was designed at Shanghai or Lishui, as it's a Lishui-built model, it's a worthy "reboot" of the hooded nib concept and nicely done too.

The best way to get the Hero's "aerometric" filler system to drink up as much ink as possible, is to give it a bit of a rest between squeezes, three to five seconds would be about right.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

seele

I hadn't realised the jewel was supposed to be ivory. Mine looked like an odd-coloured cream blob. It simply fell off while I wasn't looking!

Thanks for the tip about filling.

I have a Hero 382 that is incredilble for the money I paid...7.75USD. Has one the best nibs I have ever used. I am an Hero believer. Thanks for the great review of the 1000.

• 10 months later...

Resurrecting an old topic. Need to see if anyone has any tips on disassembling a Hero 1000. There are a few tips and even videos on the 100 bit none I could find on the 1000. Is the technique the same or is there a twist to watch out for?

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting an old topic. Need to see if anyone has any tips on disassembling a Hero 1000. There are a few tips and even videos on the 100 bit none I could find on the 1000. Is the technique the same or is there a twist to watch out for?

Thanks!

I recall reading that the 100 was a close clone to the Parker 51, but the 1000 was very different. AIR, the 1000 is similar to the Parker 61. There is a thread here that mentions that, and I think there is a video on the Parker disassembly.

• 2 years later...

Anyone knows where to find gold nibs for hero 100 - 1000 And if they fit on to the hero 616 ?

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius