The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Little Secret In Little Rock: The Vanness Pen Shop

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2014 - 18:39

I'd like to add my praise for the Vanness people. I met them at the Dallas Pen Show and bought a C-S Churchill from them (I happen to be using it in the office today). Since then I have ordered Akkerman, Iroshizuku, and Diamine inks from them. Great service, nice folks. Their web site is a work in progress, but just call them or send an email.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Sponsored Content

#62 Barnaby Bumble

Barnaby Bumble

Extremely Rare

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2014 - 22:13

Well.  I had no idea there was such a wonderful resource so nearby.  Guess I'll be riding I-40 to Little Rock sometime soon.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

#63 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:59

I hear there is to be a special event coinciding with the 2015 Arkansas Pen Show, to be held on the Vanness premises.

Am I dreaming?

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time. ~~Larry Brown

#64 vannesspen

vannesspen

Extremely Rare

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2015 - 23:54

I hear there is to be a special event coinciding with the 2015 Arkansas Pen Show, to be held on the Vanness premises.

Am I dreaming?

A trunk show for Henry Simpole- a talented UK Artisan known for his overlays! Its become an annual Vanness event! See you there!!!!

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938

#65 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:03

Can't make it to the show this year, but hope to come next year. I've had dealings with several folks in Arkansas, and they are all wonderful pen people.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#66 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,485 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:13

I cant wait. "Working" at the shop all day is a load of fun. Mike and Lisa are like the big brother and sister that I never had. :)

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#67 AustinMalone1999

AustinMalone1999

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:42

They feed my addiction like no others.  

Just to be clear, my only present addiction is that of fountain pens and their associated paraphernalia.

Very knowledgeable staff.

Also, the 2015 Little Rock Pen Show is going to be great don't miss it.  Friday and Saturday, the 27 and 28, respectively. 

#68 avlisyar

avlisyar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2015 - 19:27

I placed my first order with Vanness over the weekend.

One of the inks I ordered turned out to be out of stock

and Mike emailed me with a few alternatives. I was

most impressed. My package arrived today. Extremely

well packaged and to my amazement, there was an

additional surprise in the box. They certainly take their

customers seriously.  :D

This may have been my first order but certainly not my last!

#69 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,011 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2015 - 21:37

They ALWAYS take their customers seriously & even though I have only made phone orders I find them the MOST accommodating of ANY  seller that offers the range of products available.  Their thoughtful consideration of the customer is one that I was fortunate to experience as I began shopping 50 years ago & I believe they may be one of the last merchants to continue such service today.  I cannot imagine what it would be like to have them available within easy driving distance. Perhaps it is best for my budget to only experience their phone sales!

I envy those fortunate to attend their Pen Show & have the opportunity to meet Mr. Simpole.

AND if you haven't tried Peyton Street Pens you should also be prepared for a similar customer experience!

#70 vannesspen

vannesspen

Extremely Rare

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:11

They ALWAYS take their customers seriously & even though I have only made phone orders I find them the MOST accommodating of ANY  seller that offers the range of products available.  Their thoughtful consideration of the customer is one that I was fortunate to experience as I began shopping 50 years ago & I believe they may be one of the last merchants to continue such service today.  I cannot imagine what it would be like to have them available within easy driving distance. Perhaps it is best for my budget to only experience their phone sales!

I envy those fortunate to attend their Pen Show & have the opportunity to meet Mr. Simpole.

AND if you haven't tried Peyton Street Pens you should also be prepared for a similar customer experience!

Thank you for the kind words! Being a small family operation; we appreciate every day that we can continue to do what we love!

vanness.jpg

#71 jwsandersjr

jwsandersjr

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2016 - 16:43

The next time I'm even near Little Rock I'm going to have to make a stop by there.

I'm thinking about driving over from Memphis one day just to go and see the store and meet them.

#72 vannesspen

vannesspen

Extremely Rare

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2016 - 16:52

You should have come over last weekend !!!   We had the Arkansas Pen Show going on and a special Vanness Store Open House last Friday night.

We had "special" pricing on pens and lots of desert featuring our famous chocolate dipped bacon strips.

Come see us anytime; and, if you cannot make it by during normal business hours; let us know and we can probably meet you at the shop.

Mike

vanness.jpg

#73 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,011 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2016 - 22:00

I encourage anyone to partake of the excellent customer service that Vanness Pens offers.  

I have only been able to order from them over the phone or from their internet site, yet they made it possible for me to enjoy many colors of the wonderful BUNG BOX ink & I remain grateful when I use those colors that have become "elusive" over the past year.  They are constantly thinking of their customers as evidenced by their fully stocked KWIZI inks & WERE the first US distributor for the AKKERMAN inks which were only available @ that time thru direct order from Akkerman.  When they introduced the Pilot IROSHOZUKI "mini" bottles of ink they offered their customers the ability to CHOOSE which three bottles they wanted to include in the boxed set.  I am sure this was not as easy as offering a "pre"boxed set yet they allowed their customers that choice & were willing to make accommodations to do so.

I have NEVER been disappointed in ANY order from them & am happy they have been able to attend many National pen shows to further introduce customers to one of the nicest "Brick & Mortar" stores in the US.  They continue to offer excellent products, service & shipping in an affordable, efficient & unassuming manner; it is no wonder they have been in business for 78 years. I thank them for their continued efforts @ serving their customers & count myself fortunate to have experienced such customer service.

#74 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• Member - Gold

• 2,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:10

Very nicely said and I enthusiastically concur.

photo 9a3c4b09-5684-4070-874c-d3e7313947e7.pngLife is too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

#75 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,087 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2016 - 16:07

You should have come over last weekend !!!   We had the Arkansas Pen Show going on and a special Vanness Store Open House last Friday night.

We had "special" pricing on pens and lots of desert featuring our famous chocolate dipped bacon strips.

Come see us anytime; and, if you cannot make it by during normal business hours; let us know and we can probably meet you at the shop.

Mike

So sorry... but everything faded in the background as soon as I visualize this..      I guess I will need to trek to Vanness one day.. 

chocolate-covered-bacon-recipe.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#76 MHBru

MHBru

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:18

i realize this is an old thread but i became aware of Vanness just recently through FPN.... and it turns out,I am in Little Rock on biz this weekend.  I think I will grab a taxi and head over there while I'm in town.   :)

Sponsored Content

|